May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #51  
I lucked out and bought my RFM used, actually I traded and it was a good deal for both. I have Agri-Supply relatively locally. My concern with the Caroni is it runs 5 blades instead of the usual 3. I'm guessing thats where some of the extra Hp requirement comes from.

If you can't Demo a ZTR you could see if someone would cut it for you with a ZTR. That would give you a best case time for comparison.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #52  
I understand being budget conscience. But, have you priced good quality ZTRs? A new one will set you back just as much as a tractor. Sure, there are "low cost" units out there. But, with that much grass, they won't last or perform like you will need them to.

Any way you cut it (punn intended), mowing 11 acres will not come cheap.

Your best bang for the buck is to go used. There are a lot of good machines out there that would work for you and still be reliable. Something like a BX or a JD455 for the "finished" yard, and and older Ford or Deere for the other field and loader work.

Want to save even more, consider refurbished Yanmars. Small ones, that are prefect for mowing can be found really cheap.

BTW, one steep bank brand ZTR that would work for you is the Kut Kwik. But finding a used one that is still affordable might be hard. I saw one locally here about a year ago for $7K. I think it had a 7' mower on it. It was a steal at that price.

When the ground is saturated everything will tear it up, even you as you point out. I would also think that, given such conditions exist, the affect of whatever machine would be far less important to your decision processs, since they all would cause unacceptable damage. Doesn't that mean the only recourse is to stay off of it completely when it's like that?

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please
A new one will set you back just as much as a tractor.

A brand new X series Dixie Chopper can be had for $10K. Even a well used "L" series tractor will be nowhere near that price. (not saying that I am getting a ZTR, just sayin')

Your best bang for the buck is to go used. Something like a BX or a JD455 for the "finished" yard, and and older Ford or Deere for the other field and loader work.

While used is an option, a BX is never, ever going to be big enough for 11 acres of mowing. Actually, I take that back, it would do it, it will just take all the daylight hours in a single day. :)

At this point I am kind of leaning towards a hardly used L series or something similar as I surely don't want to spend all day mowing and even a B series will likely be too small to get it done in any reasonable time.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #54  
I was suggesting 2 TRACTORS! The second time you missed this point. The BX will mow circles around the L-series in tight spots or around landscaping - a compromise to the ZTR thing (sounded like something you wanted), and will be easier on the "lawn" - something you seemed to be sensitive to. The L-series would be good for the field and loader work. But, there are better values out there, if cost is a real issue.

A Dixie Chopper is mediocre at best. Not a Ferris or industrial bota ZTR. You would not be happy with a DC. Perhaps you should consider some goats, cheaper yet.

However, I think Mr. Fowler was right.

Anyway, who wants to mow 11 acres on a regular basis?. Short of a big batwing, you will be all day and then some, even on a grand L. Enjoy spending your retirement mowing grass. Wow!

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please
I was suggesting 2 TRACTORS! The second time you missed this point. The BX will mow circles around the L-series in tight spots or around landscaping - a compromise to the ZTR thing (sounded like something you wanted), and will be easier on the "lawn" - something you seemed to be sensitive to. The L-series would be good for the field and loader work. But, there are better values out there, if cost is a real issue.

OK, ummmmm, why would I want 2 tractors AND a TLB? That makes absolutely no sense money wise or storage wise. Lightly used L for $16-19K, a lightly used BX for $10-12K and a used TLB for $6-8K. Then add brush hog, RFM, etc. Now we are talking abou close to $50K of equipment. Expalin how that makes sense, please.

A Dixie Chopper is mediocre at best. Not a Ferris or industrial bota ZTR. You would not be happy with a DC. Perhaps you should consider some goats, cheaper yet.

You are the absolute 1st person on this site I have heard say a DC is mediocre. An all stainless decked machine that is guaranteed for life? Come on. Check the thread in Lawn & Garden and see if they are mediocre from the mouths of actual owners. Not saying I will be buying one, but saying they are not right up at the top of the price point is outright funny.

Anyway, who wants to mow 11 acres on a regular basis?. Short of a big batwing, you will be all day and then some, even on a grand L. Enjoy spending your retirement mowing grass. Wow!

It will not take all day and then some and some people enjoy being in the outdoors just hanging out, cutting the grass. Cut the grass for a while, then go down the road and get on my boat and hang out on the river for a while, come home and hang out on the porch and watch the sunset. Yes, thank you, I will be enjoying the he!! out of my retirement. ;)

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #56  
Neither lush nor tall are words I would use to describe this lawn. Crabgrass and clover are actually better words:D

In that case you could probably use a 30hp tractor.:) Just don't spread any fertilizer.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #57  
I would reccommend one of three options (assuming that you have mostly open spaces):

1. Tractor and Bushhog style batwing mower
    • Tractor: Something like a Ford 5000. $7-10k, replace the seat with one that has good suspension.
    • Mower: Bushhog style Batwing: You can get a used 12-15 foot batwing mower for $5-10k and as long as you keep the blades sharp you will get a cut that is close to a finish cut. If the grass isn't too thick you should be able to handle a 12-15 foot batwing with a 50ish PTO hp tractor.
  2. Tractor and "Finish" or "Turf" batwing
    • Tractor: Something like a Ford 2110, a Kubota L3650 (or any other 35-40 HP tractor). $7-10k, replace the seat with one that has good suspension.
    • Finish Batwing: a "Turf Batwing" is harder to find but they look like this: Turf Batwing Used ones range from $14k to $2400
  3. WAM (Wide Area Mower): A third option would be one of these: Howard Price Hydro Power 180, 16 Ft Turf Batwing Mower, I have seen several in the $5-10k range :D
We have 5ish acres that we mow and that takes a full day in a 60" mid mount ZTR or a BX2660 but the BX does not beat you up like the ZTR does

If I was in your shoes and did not want to spend 2 days per week on a ZTR, I would go for a tractor and a batwing. Then you can go slower (thus not getting jostled and bumped around as much) and get the job done faster

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #58  
Have you considered Kubota's TLB series or a John Deere like 110? They will give you better loader and backhoe specs and a 3ph option for a mower, BB, etc.

And I'll admit I didn't read everything posted, scimmed it, so if I missed something. Sorry.