May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #31  
Even in an open yard a SCUT is slower than a ZTR because of the corners. I have to work the corners of the yard out slow. Going warp speed around the corners will cause the front tires to roll the sod even when it's fairly dry.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #32  
I only have 3 acres but cut it with a ZTR before buying a tractor. I sold it and have upgraded tractors twice. I now have tractor and a 7 foot RFM. Just because the mower says on paper it will mow 8 acres and hour thats theory and calculations on paper. Nobody goes full speed on a ZTR except maybe a golf course that is glass smooth and gets cut often. The smoothness of the land affects your speed as well as the thickness/height of your grass. I would say to expect no better than half of quoted numbers. My other problem is having a 10000. machine that only cuts grass. My tractor does many other things. I think a tractor that can cut grass and do other chores as well.

Last edited:
   / May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #33  
I only have 3 acres but cut it with a ZTR before buying a tractor. I sold it and have upgraded tractors twice. I now have tractor and a 7 foot RFM. Just because the mower says on paper it will mow 8 acres and hour thats theory and calculations on paper. Nobody goes full speed on a ZTR except maybe a golf course that is glass smooth and gets cut often. he smoothness of the land affects your speed as well as the thickness/height of your grass. I would say to expect no better than half of quoted numbers. My other problem is having a 10000. machine that only cuts grass. My tractor does many other things. I think a tractor that can cut grass and do other chores as well.

I think this is why the CUT's and SCUT's are so popular now. They do so many things so very well. Although a ZTR would be great for my large yard I wouldn't think for a second of trading my CUT for a ZTR. Sure, I may lose some hours during the summer months mowing but by the end of the year I will have gained these hours back and then some with the versatility of my CUT and all the implements I run with it. At the end of a year the CUT saves me work than a ZTR would.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #34  
I would be getting cows in the field so that would maybe need a cut 1 or 2 times a year.

Like whistlepig said, I like mowing, but don't want to spend all day once a week doing it.

I guess you lost me, you said you'd only need to cut 1 to 2 times a year not every weekend.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwhite View Post
I would be getting cows in the field so that would maybe need a cut 1 or 2 times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwhite View Post
Like whistlepig said, I like mowing, but don't want to spend all day once a week doing it.

I guess you lost me, you said you'd only need to cut 1 to 2 times a year not every weekend.

Huh?

The field (as in pasture) needs to be cut (brush hogged) a couple times a year, the lawn part needs to be mowed every week. ;)

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #36  
RW: Played around with the numbers a little and did some math. Assumming only a 6" overlap w/ your 66" deck, mowing your area in 2 hours means a mowing speed in excess of 9mph- pretty quick. Going to a 7' finish mower increases the theoretical cutting capacity by 27%. I say theoretical because I don't know the lay of your land including trimming. FYI

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #37  
It seems pretty obvious that the OP has made up his mind to get a ZTR and is just looking for someone to agree with him, so I suggest he does just that. If he wants to really test his resolve, rent a ZTR mower from an equipment rental place. I see them setting out front of most rental places. A day rental will tell the tale.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #38  
It seems pretty obvious that the OP has made up his mind to get a ZTR and is just looking for someone to agree with him, so I suggest he does just that. If he wants to really test his resolve, rent a ZTR mower from an equipment rental place. I see them setting out front of most rental places. A day rental will tell the tale.

To be fair, he also could be aware that asking whether a ZTR or CUT is the preferred tool on this website is a little like asking a naval aviator whether the Navy or Air Force has the better planes. I presume he has heard the concerns about using a ZTR in a pasture and I recall one of his posts indicating that he wanted to try out a ZTR before purchase. Seems like a logical way to proceed.

It seems pretty obvious that the OP has made up his mind to get a ZTR and is just looking for someone to agree with him, so I suggest he does just that.

I have? Thanks for letting me know. :rolleyes:

I asked for opinions and that is what I got. I have in no way made up my mind, and in fact, if you read the thread, you will see that i have already stated several times that I need to rent/demo a ZTR to see IF it is going to work.

But thanks for sharing.

To be fair, he also could be aware that asking whether a ZTR or CUT is the preferred tool on this website is a little like asking a naval aviator whether the Navy or Air Force has the better planes. I presume he has heard the concerns about using a ZTR in a pasture and I recall one of his posts indicating that he wanted to try out a ZTR before purchase. Seems like a logical way to proceed.

Thank you. Obviously my point was addressed and talked about clearly enough to understand by some (most) people here.