May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please
RW: Played around with the numbers a little and did some math. Assumming only a 6" overlap w/ your 66" deck, mowing your area in 2 hours means a mowing speed in excess of 9mph- pretty quick. Going to a 7' finish mower increases the theoretical cutting capacity by 27%. I say theoretical because I don't know the lay of your land including trimming. FYI

I have no reservations that a CUT will work, just about how long it will take and at what cost. A 7" RFM is big bucks unless it happens to come with a used tractor, and I really don't want to buy used. (I would by used implements, just not the tractor) A ZTR a full speed may also not be a smooth ride. The property is not a golf course, it is wide open land, ruts and all. (I could picture a cartoon character being tossed from the seat :D)

One of the main concerns is weight. An L series tractor may be a bit much for my clay soil, especially after it rains. Heck, a couple of weeks ago it rained for a few hours and it got swampy just walking around. Could it be due to the ground being saturated from the winter cold/rain? Sure, but I don't weigh anywhere near what a tractor does. ;)

It really is going to come down to rent/demo/borrow both a ZTR and a tractor to see what will work. Problem with that is there is no nearby ZTR dealer (Dixie) and the local tractor guy acts like he could care less about getting new business and cares more about sitting in his shop with all the dust covered parts. (if you know what I mean)

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #42  
I would not develop a fixation for Dixie Choppers, while they may be good mowers they are not the only ones. From what I have seen there are alot of ztr mowers to choose from. The biggest concern I would have is the Generac engines, I don't think these will hold up near as long as the Deere, Kubota, New Holland and others with diesels whether they be in a ztr or compact tractor. The amount of fuel used is another big factor.

Right now I have a cheap Deere riding mower, sooner or later I will replace it with a better unit. If I had to maintain eleven acres at home I would do something else. One important thing to mention is I have spent the time to plane and smooth everything so that I can mow at full speed. This would make a huge difference in how much time it takes to mow a large lawn. It also makes a huge difference in how long the mower will last without falling apart.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #43  
I have both a compact tractor with a finish mower and a mid 90's Lesco zero turn. In the spring I have to be careful where I mow with the zero turn or it buries itself. The zero turn is nice around trees etc., but rides rough compared to the tractor. Having both, I would get rid of the zero turn long before the tractor.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #44  
A 7" RFM is big bucks unless it happens to come with a used tractor, and I really don't want to buy used.

Depends what you mean by "big bucks". Caroni makes a 93 inch 5 blade rear discharge mower that costs about $2000 delivered. Caroni is not as well known as Landpride, Woods, and Rhino but is a well respected Italian brand of comperable quality. AgriSupply sells them (Store price for the mower is $1730 now and sometimes total price is less as shipping is cheaper if you call them too.)

93 ESTATE MOWER LIFT TYPE 5 BLADE REAR DISCHARGE - Agri Supply

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #45  
I thought the same thing too. The other thing I came up with is maybe pulling a used gang reel with either my Kawi Mule or my pick 'em up truck. Still in the thinking stage. :D

Like whistlepig said, I like mowing, but don't want to spend all day once a week doing it.

Unless your terrain is golf course flat a gang reel mower will be a nightmare to maintain (sharpening, lapping blades ect.)
It's not fun work, I know from old experiences.
Regards
DGS

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #46  
Depends what you mean by "big bucks". Caroni makes a 93 inch 5 blade rear discharge mower that costs about $2000 delivered. Caroni is not as well known as Landpride, Woods, and Rhino but is a well respected Italian brand of comperable quality. AgriSupply sells them (Store price for the mower is $1730 now and sometimes total price is less as shipping is cheaper if you call them too.)

We have had two Caroni Finish Mowers for over fifteen years and both are going strong with only having had to change belts and put new blades on when they wear out. Our "newest" one has swinging type cutters on the blades like on bigger rotary mowers and will cut some pretty tough vegetation.

I like Land Pride, but my next finish mower will be another Caroni if these ever wear out.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #47  
Couple of points
First to DGS- The RIGHT gang mower can handle very rough terrain and high grass. The one to get is the Jacobsen Blitzer mower. Was designed to mow runways during WWII. Many schools and parks still use them (including our school). Can easily cut 10-12" grass and has no roller to maintain. On your acreage, if you adjust them properly, you should only have to sharpen them every 3-4 years.

Second- I had a Ferris Zero turn and when I decided I wanted another tractor with a cab to blow snow, I got rid of it to have the tractor do double duty- mowing as well. Haven't missed it a lick especially when the ground is wet (we too have heavy clay soils). Instead of rutting or gettings stuck in wet wether, the 4 wheel drive is actually less damaging on the grass. Plus I don't have to skip mowings ending up with too tall grass and clumpy clippings left after I can finally get out there. (Having air conditioning doesn't stink either).

Very interesting about the Caroni's but I see that the 7'+ RFM needs at least 45hp to run it. That would kick the tractor budget way up there. Nice idea if I can make it work, but time will tell.

I really appreciate all the different opinions and real life use feedback in this thread. It is really giving me a lot more insight into this issue.

/ May Be Rethinking My Needs, Little Help, Please #49  
Very interesting about the Caroni's but I see that the 7'+ RFM needs at least 45hp to run it. That would kick the tractor budget way up there. Nice idea if I can make it work, but time will tell.

I really appreciate all the different opinions and real life use feedback in this thread. It is really giving me a lot more insight into this issue.

All these power calculations need to be taken with a grain of salt. The Caroni 7ft RFM should require no more power than any other 7ft finish mower. I would not hesitate to put it on a 35hp tractor and just go slow if the grass is tall or lush.

just go slow if the grass is tall or lush.

Neither lush nor tall are words I would use to describe this lawn. Crabgrass and clover are actually better words:D