methylene alcohol

/ methylene alcohol #11  
Thanks guys.

My local southern states will fill my tires up with Rim Guard for $210. He says they'll take about 30 gallons each and add around 620 lbs at 75% full.
I'm waiting to get a price on the methanol mix.

It should be considerably less. But it add less weight also.

/ methylene alcohol #13  
It should be considerably less. But it add less weight also.

A methanol/water mix will weigh about 8 pounds per gal. (plain water weighs 8.33 lbs. per gal.)
Rim Guard (beet juice) weighs approximately 10.7 - 11 lbs. per gal.
Thus, Rim Guard is approximately 35%+ heavier per gallon.
That is a significant weight difference, but the price difference is significant also.

/ methylene alcohol #15  
Thanks guys.

My local southern states will fill my tires up with Rim Guard for $210. He says they'll take about 30 gallons each and add around 620 lbs at 75% full.
I'm waiting to get a price on the methanol mix.

How much weight do you need? Are you gonna use ground engaging attachments; or just to keep the butt end on the ground when using the FEL? Either way, for that amount of $$ you can buy 60 gals of windshield washer fluid and the needed small sump pump/tire attachment thingy to pump it yourself. Also if you ever need to do another one...you already have the pump and connections..either way, I can't live without weighted rear tires...I do it myself now...BobG in VA

/ methylene alcohol #16  
How much weight do you need? Are you gonna use ground engaging attachments; or just to keep the butt end on the ground when using the FEL? Either way, for that amount of $$ you can buy 60 gals of windshield washer fluid and the needed small sump pump/tire attachment thingy to pump it yourself. Also if you ever need to do another one...you already have the pump and connections..either way, I can't live without weighted rear tires...I do it myself now...BobG in VA

I watched for a deal last year, and bought (80 gal.) WWF @ $1.20 per gal.
WWF ......60 gal. @ $1.20 = 240 lbs/ tire = $72 for both tires
Rim Guard ...... 60 gal. = 310 lbs./ tire = $210 (per BobG_in_VA) for both tires.
Rim Guard is $138 more, but only 70 lbs./ tire additional weight.
$1 per pound for those extra 138 lbs.???
Mighty pricey me thinks!

/ methylene alcohol #17  
My dealer filled my 18.4 x 24 rear R4's with WWF for free. Didn't even mention it until they had delivered the tractor. Mentioned it in passing while going over the tractor. He stated it was a safety issue. No weight in rear means possible liability when using FEL. He wants healthy, happy, uninjured customers....

/ methylene alcohol #18  
I have the old corrosive fluid and my valve core leaks. How do you change the valve core without losing the fluid? Where did you get the pump and how easy is it to fill/refill a rear tire? Do you take the tire off the tractor?

/ methylene alcohol #19  
I have the old corrosive fluid and my valve core leaks. How do you change the valve core without losing the fluid? Where did you get the pump and how easy is it to fill/refill a rear tire? Do you take the tire off the tractor?

To change the valve core, place the valve at the top of the tire.

Use a jack to take any weight off the tire.

Now there are no forces which will expel the calcium chloride out of the tube.

If I was switching to Windshield washer fluid, I would want to know how badly corroded my rims were and would at least want to break the bead and have a good look at the inside of the rim.

I would also invest in a new tubes.

The wheel does not have to be taken off the tractor to even change a tire and even easier to change a tube.

Any small utility pump will pump in the WW fluid. Again, the valve at the top. Tractor jacked up one side at a time. Pump in fluid for a while. Remove hose and let built up air escape and start filling again.

You only want to fill the tire wheel assembly to the top of the rim so there is a cushion of air remaining inside.

Any utility pump will do the job such as this one for about $30 from amazon.

TruePower 12V DC Utility Transfer Pump, 447�RPM @ 5� PSI, 12� Watt - - Amazon.com

If you put your antifreeze on a table, the process will go much faster as your pump is not having to lift the WW fluid to the height of the rim.

Dave M7040

/ methylene alcohol #20  
Somebody has been feeding Cowbridge a load of crap. Standard R-1 tires for his tractor are - 11.2 x 24. At 75% filled - each tire will hold 24 gallons of 30% methanol/water mix. 30% methanol/water mix will weigh 7.8 pound per gallon. This provides freeze protection down to around -30F.

24 x 7.8 = 188 pounds of ballast per tire OR 376 pounds in total. CERTAINLY NOT anywhere close to 620 pounds the dealer stated.

Water weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon methanol weighs 6.6 pounds per gallon So even if it were filled with 100% water - each tire would only gain 200 pounds each. A 30% methanol/water mixture reduces the weight per gallon to 7.8 pounds.

Last edited: