methylene alcohol

/ methylene alcohol #21  
I have the old corrosive fluid and my valve core leaks. How do you change the valve core without losing the fluid? Where did you get the pump and how easy is it to fill/refill a rear tire? Do you take the tire off the tractor?

I'll go over the pump/fill thing....Get a cheap small sump pump with a standard garden hose connector at the top. Next search this site for the connector that screws onto the tractor tire (maybe someone will chime in and give us a link..I found it on this site somewhere about 6 years ago..), then (of all things) go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a 5 or so foot washing machine hose. Get a 5 gallon bucket (I use an empty crunchy cat food container), hook up the hoses, jack up the rear end of the tractor (put the tire stem even with the top of the axle), put the sump pump into the bucket, pour in about 2 gallons at a time. Now, here's the part that you need to understand: Hold the plug -in for the pump...when the bucket empties, unplug the sump, the air that has built up in the tire will bubble out in the bucket, now add another 2 or so gallons, ...repeat until you get your fill...I mean your tire's fill...BobG in VA PS: don't forget to take the stem off the tractor tire once the tire is jacked up.

/ methylene alcohol #22  
I'll go over the pump/fill thing....Get a cheap small sump pump with a standard garden hose connector at the top. Next search this site for the connector that screws onto the tractor tire (maybe someone will chime in and give us a link..I found it on this site somewhere about 6 years ago..), then (of all things) go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a 5 or so foot washing machine hose. Get a 5 gallon bucket (I use an empty crunchy cat food container), hook up the hoses, jack up the rear end of the tractor (put the tire stem even with the top of the axle), put the sump pump into the bucket, pour in about 2 gallons at a time. Now, here's the part that you need to understand: Hold the plug -in for the pump...when the bucket empties, unplug the sump, the air that has built up in the tire will bubble out in the bucket, now add another 2 or so gallons, ...repeat until you get your fill...I mean your tire's fill...BobG in VA PS: don't forget to take the stem off the tractor tire once the tire is jacked up.

You can buy a liquid tire fill fitting at TSC for about $10.
You will still need the cheap small pump.
The fitting incorporates a little push to release air valve, that makes the filling process very simple.

/ methylene alcohol #23  
I am going to use windshield washer fluid on my new tractor. I used antifreeze about 7 years ago on my other tractor but this one has bigger tires and I have less money (I bought a cab tractor this time, lol). My question is that I read to use 40% instead of 74% for less bounce. My other tractor I did 75% so I don't have anything to compare.

Has anyone done 40% instead of filling it 75%? I plan to do it to 40% first and test it a while and if needed I can always add more but was looking for anyone's experience with this.

/ methylene alcohol #24  
I am going to use windshield washer fluid on my new tractor. I used antifreeze about 7 years ago on my other tractor but this one has bigger tires and I have less money (I bought a cab tractor this time, lol). My question is that I read to use 40% instead of 74% for less bounce. My other tractor I did 75% so I don't have anything to compare.

Has anyone done 40% instead of filling it 75%? I plan to do it to 40% first and test it a while and if needed I can always add more but was looking for anyone's experience with this.

I think the primary reason for 75% being recommended is to keep the rim bead edge completely submerged in fluid at all times.

/ methylene alcohol #25  
I think the primary reason for 75% being recommended is to keep the rim bead edge completely submerged in fluid at all times.

How does that help the center of gravity or the traction or why does the rim need to be submerged all the time?

/ methylene alcohol #26  
How does that help the center of gravity or the traction or why does the rim need to be submerged all the time?

To fight corrosion. No oxygen (or very low oxygen) no corrosion.

/ methylene alcohol #27  
To fight corrosion. No oxygen (or very low oxygen) no corrosion.

But tractor tires without any liquid are more exposed to oxygen so you're saying they're more likely to corrode? I'm missing something here.

/ methylene alcohol #28  
My first tractor was loaded with salt solution. Worked fine for about twenty years and then for reason totally UKN - it began dissolving valve cores - what a TOTAL DAM mess. The last couple years I was replacing cores about every 6 to 8 months.

Calcium over time becomes more acid due to a chemical breakdown. Used to work with it in the industrial refrigeration industry. We loaded it with corrosion inhibitors up front. Depending on its end use a routine PH test was scheduled and the inhibitors renewed if necessary. A system that had not been tested and updated routinely would create a mess with corroded piping and pumps, actually eats up the metal, and sludge in he bottom of the cooling vessel, cost the customer big bucks to fix. Leaks were always easy to find as corrosion started right away as air breaks down the inhibitors fast.

My BIL was a big farmer in Oregon with several tractors and combines; he always used calcium but knew about the corrosion problem and kept after it. He was breaking down a tire in his shop once when I was visiting, the inside of the rim was bright and shiny. He always sanded off the paint on a rim before mounting and charging a tire because the calcium broke down the paint anyway.

Weight/volume is the greatest with calcium, more you add the heaver. In refrigeration for -60F the mix was like heavy syrup it had so much calcium

Ron

Ron

/ methylene alcohol #29  
I considered it but only for a second. That's why I'm using windshield washer fluid. Still researching and trying to figure out 75% full vs 40% full and why.

/ methylene alcohol #30  
But tractor tires without any liquid are more exposed to oxygen so you're saying they're more likely to corrode? I'm missing something here.
No. No liquid, no moisture to go along with the oxygen to cause corrosion. It is not the oxygen or water alone that causes the corrosion.