Oil & Fuel MF 135 battery not charging, what to do?

/ MF 135 battery not charging, what to do? #1  

jrmcdona

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
Hey All,

Just bought a 135 and new the battery was not charging when I bought it. The fella was charging the battery in his garage over night and running it that way. It ran without any problems from what I can tell.

However, how to fix this.

1. Should I get a new alternator or how should I test it?
2. Should I hire somebody to rewire it?

I am no mechanic and this is my first tractor so if i start tinkering with it too much too soon it could be trouble.

Thanks
Jordan

/ MF 135 battery not charging, what to do? #2  
It is most likely the battery itself, not the alternator or generator, whichever you have. First, take off the battery clamps and wire brush to remove all oxidation from both battery clamps and battery posts. Try to charge battery again.

If wire brushing does not work take battery to a place that sells batteries and have it tested.

You probably need a new battery.

Batteries have a finite life. Last longest when partially discharged, then charged frequently, as in a tractor regularly used.

Sitting for long periods and then charging over a short period kills wet cell batteries.

Last edited:
   / MF 135 battery not charging, what to do? #3  
   / MF 135 battery not charging, what to do? #5  
Welcome from Wisconsin

Welcome to TBN. Join the fun:D

Is your 135 a diesel or a gasser?
What year? The serial number is either on the dashboard or on the right side of the battery tray. That's where I found that number on my 1964 MF135 diesel. You have to remove the air filter housing to see the number on the battery tray.

135s prior to 1968 have generators. Alternators came later.

/ MF 135 battery not charging, what to do?
Thanks Jeff for the tips and advice.

flusher-
It is a diesel. The fella doesn't seem to recall the year exactly so when I get it delivered today in a couple of hours, I will be investigating thoroughly and will update here to try and figure out what year this one is.

Can't wait to get my hands on this thing and give it a go today. First real spin for me on a tractor.

/ MF 135 battery not charging, what to do? #7  
Last edited:
   / MF 135 battery not charging, what to do?
S/N is 9A II0673

I will store in under the barn and I also have a carport hooked on to the garage. I actually live in Ellensburg, WA. Not sure why it said Seattle although I did just move from Seattle a month ago.

I have give it a test ride around the property. So far so good. I have done one haul with the bucket too. This one has 1880 hours but I think it was kept outside some and could use some clean up. Definitely not the super mint MF 135 but was a good deal, or at least I thought it was at $3,000.

Thanks
Jordan

/ MF 135 battery not charging, what to do? #9  
Outdoors, beware of rodents getting to the wiring.

Ellensburg; lovely climate.

/ MF 135 battery not charging, what to do? #10  
S/N is 9A II0673

I will store in under the barn and I also have a carport hooked on to the garage. I actually live in Ellensburg, WA. Not sure why it said Seattle although I did just move from Seattle a month ago.

I have give it a test ride around the property. So far so good. I have done one haul with the bucket too. This one has 1880 hours but I think it was kept outside some and could use some clean up. Definitely not the super mint MF 135 but was a good deal, or at least I thought it was at $3,000.

Thanks
Jordan

Need pics !!!!!TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 135 tractor information might be a 1971