MF 1840M Thoughts

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #1  

CaptPat

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1840M
Looking for a new tractor to replace my Kubota B7800, something in the 40HP range and with a cab. Have considered a Kubota L4060, JD 3039, Boomer 40/50, and MF 1840M and at this point, the MF 1840M is the leader in the clubhouse. It comes well-equipped and is considerably less expensive than the offerings from Kubota or JD, the New Hollands have some weird design choices to my eye, they come nicely outfitted as well. I'm interested in hearing from 1840M owners on their experiences, plusses, and minuses before committing to a final decision.

I've stuck with brands that have dealers that are reasonably close.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #2  
I’m not an MF owner. However I’ve researched the 1840M extensively and test drove one. GREAT tractor! It compares most closely to the L3560 and Kioti DK series having the same weight, wheelbase, and PTO horsepower. Perfect for a small plot with enough weight to do real work yet maneuverable enough to get into tight places. The new 1800M series are 100% made by Iseki in Japan and have a very good reputation. I believe the loaders are made in China. There was one user on this forum who had issues with his loader but don’t know if that was a result of abuse or a manufacturing flaw.

The 1840M compares most closely to the L3560 having the same wheelbase and PTO horsepower. These Massey’s have somewhat lower PTO hp than other tractors because they have larger hydraulic pumps and significantly more gpm hydraulic flow. Nothing is free. They’re turbocharged so presumably they have good low end torque. There’s a video on YouTube of a Rhino batwing mower being run by a 1840M shuttle, impressive.

One thing I really like is the ergonomics of the cab with the rear hydraulic levers mounted side by side in a convenient location. It also has a fully electronic HST that’s adjustable for sensitivity and max speed. Cruise control too.

I believe the Kioti DK SE series is a somewhat stronger tractor and they go all they way up to 60hp in that frame size. However, they have a less sophisticated mechanical hydrostatic transmission. I do wish MF would offer more HP in this frame size. The tractor has enough weight to run 6ft implements but it’s 28 PTO hp is a hair on the low side for running a 6ft bush hog through thick material.

I’d say get a quote on the 1840M and the L3560LE and see how they compare price wise. The Kubota has the outstanding HST+ and excellent resale value so that’s something to consider.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #3  
Those are all nice machines. I don't have any experience with Massey, but I do like my L4060. The 3 range HST with Hi/Lo is incredibly useful. I've got about 750 trouble free hours on it.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #4  

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #5  
I don't own one, but I have tried the former 1700 series 35 horse cab and to me it was the most comfortable cab I have ever been in. Even the seat. It was far better than any seat Kubota offers.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts
On the advice of @Tractorable I checked out the Kubota L3560, the dealer price was comparable to the MF 1840M and they are very close in terms of specs. Unfortunately the dealer also has a couple L4060 for just a bit more which my wife likes more, probably a bit much for my current needs, but who complains about too much tractor? It‘s nice to have options.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #8  
On the advice of @Tractorable I checked out the Kubota L3560, the dealer price was comparable to the MF 1840M and they are very close in terms of specs. Unfortunately the dealer also has a couple L4060 for just a bit more which my wife likes more, probably a bit much for my current needs, but who complains about too much tractor? It‘s nice to have options.

Happy to help. I got a quote on a 1840M ROPS not long ago here in Virginia and while the price on the tractor itself seemed reasonable the extras really add up.

Was quoted $33.5K for the tractor then an additional $4500 for three rear remotes, third function, 8hrs shop labor, and tire ballast. Add taxes and prep and you’re at $40K before implements. Gets pricey real quick. So I don’t know that MF costs any less than Kubota these days and the Kubota Grand L still has the better HST+ transmission.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts
The 1840M and L3560 have nearly identical price quotes for nearly identical configurations, one rear remote, 3rd function, FEL and cab. The 1840M has a radio, air ride seat, and the dealer includes ballasting in the price. OTOH the Kubota will likely have better resale, non-turbo engine, HST+, and the dealer is 20 minutes away, while the MF dealer is 75 minutes away. I was able to sit in the Kubota(s) and cab is very roomy. Since I have to wear a lower leg prosthesis for an Achilles problem getting in and out of the cab and roominess is a big deal (that issue took the NH Boomers out of consideration). Unfortunately there is no 1840M with a cab in the vicinity so I’m a bit leery of committing to MF without having a chance to try the cab on for size. The dealer estimates 6-8 weeks to get one in, the Kubota is on the lot.

My wife (yes I take her tractor shopping she notices things I don’t and an extra set of eyes is helpful) really likes the L4060 (also on the lot), the up charge is not bad for a gain of 7 HP. Size wise the 4060 is a few inches longer, the other dimensions are larger on the order of one inch or so, it has wider tires which should reduce ground pressure off setting the modest increase weight.

Whatever I end up with I’ll probably go with 2 remotes, I just priced them with 1 to keep it apples to apples in price comparison. I’m also considering holding off on ballasting, the cab will add some weight, I can always add ballast later if that becomes necessary.

I really wanted to check out JD offerings, but was told that they are in model changeover. The dealer I visited had nothing (series 3 or 4) on the lot or in 35 other locations. Further he couldn’t even price a new one as pricing and features have not been made available yet, it’s not expected til Sept/Oct if I ordered then he thought delivery might occur before the end of the year.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #10  
Speaking of model change overs you gotta wonder when Kubota is going to update the Grand L’s? The standard L’s all now have LED headlights and R14’s. The Grand L’s are ten years and running with no updates, they gotta be next.