MF 1840M Thoughts

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #21  
I have a fairly new 1840m with cab. i got it new (2022 model)just before xmas last year and have about 115 hours on it. I live in extreme snow and cold country(west yellowstone). So I really like this tractor, its quiet, comfortable and roomy. I mistakenly got the standard cab instead of the deluxe cab, all do to being 2 hours from dealer and doing 95% of discussions by phone/email. I mow 4 times a year(incredibly short summers here, I saw snow just this week) it seems to do fine running a Titan 72" rear finish mower, now for the snow...I chose to go with a rear pull type MK Martin 68" snowblower(72" was on backorder and they had no idea when it would be available) I like this setup but it does have its limitations. I had the front (54")snowblower on a cabbed 1025r, and it was nice, but driveshaft bearings on mounting bracket kept going bad and I didnt want to repeat this on the MF. Plus with a front snowblower you have to take the loader off, which may not be a big deal to some, but here, where its cold as hell for 7 months of the year, changing implements sucks. I have had at least 4 regens(115 hours), Im not sure if the colder air makes it burn less clean therefore triggering a dpf burn, dunno? Now when doing a regen while snowblowing, it does have noticeably less power, especially when rotating chute, it will bog down. Ive noticed running it in low range seems to free up a little power when snowblowing and regen. Now my biggest problem is the glow plugs......brochure says glowplugs for sure fire starting in frigid temps...my ass. this thing struggles to start around 35 degrees or lower. here 35 degrees is a nice day. dealer came and picked it up and said they would install some part to make plugs cycle longer...didnt change a thing. without being plugged in this wont hardly start in winter. now 2nd complaint is the AC(Ha! only needed for maybe 2 months of the year), it seems to be nice and cold, but at 2500 rpm and mowing, it seems to get warmer after a bit, not sure whats going on there. The heater is ****, gets nice and warm fairly quickly. Overall this is a nice tractor and I would recommend it, its starts great when its above 45, so maybe a warmer place is ideal for this MF 1840m. The loader operates fast, slightly jerky but practice will help

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #22  
I had a 2860 which is the big brother to the 1840 but very similar,as for the cold start issue I live in Idaho and had the same issue and started using a magnetic oil pan heater and that did the trick,as for the a/c not blowing cold the 2860 would do the same thing after an extended period of baling small bales , I cleaned the screen in front of the condenser and blew out the cab air filter and blows cold again, as for the loader being fast and slightly jerky if yours has a quick response knob try adjusting that it will help.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts
@rich21 where did you find a magnetic oil pan heater?

BTW I closed on a 1840M deluxe cab with 3rd function and a second remote, should be delivered next week.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #24  
^^^^
Congrats! Great tractor!
You’re really going to enjoy it!

Mike

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #25  

BTW I closed on a 1840M deluxe cab with 3rd function and a second remote, should be delivered next week.

CaptPat, I got it from tractor supply, but Napa and Oreily’s has them also.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #26  
CaptPat, I got it from tractor supply, but Napa and Oreily’s has them also.

Congrats on the 1840 ,it won’t disappoint.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #27  

Congrats! Nice ride. You gotta post pics when you get it!

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #28  
I had a 2860 which is the big brother to the 1840 but very similar,as for the cold start issue I live in Idaho and had the same issue and started using a magnetic oil pan heater and that did the trick,as for the a/c not blowing cold the 2860 would do the same thing after an extended period of baling small bales , I cleaned the screen in front of the condenser and blew out the cab air filter and blows cold again, as for the loader being fast and slightly jerky if yours has a quick response knob try adjusting that it will help.
That's crazy the iseki engined massey's seem to be hard cold starting. My '19 1740m with the shibaura engine was never once plugged in last winter. The only time it didn't start was the fist cold snap, original battery clearly was done for. After the new battery, give it two glow cycles and it'll fire right up. Coldest start was between -15 to -20°F.

/ MF 1840M Thoughts
Newest addition arrived yesterday, took pics before unpacking. 😀
IMG_0675.jpeg

/ MF 1840M Thoughts #30  
She is too clean, you need to get some dirt/mud on those tires!

I'm sure you will enjoy the cab and you will find so many uses for the forks.