Michelin CrossClimate2

/ Michelin CrossClimate2 #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Having a new set of Michelin CrossClimate2s put on wife's Edge ST next Saturday. Everything I've read and watched on these tires is very positive. 60k rating, super in snow/wet. $400 ea. for 21s.

Does anyone have experience with them?

/ Michelin CrossClimate2
The tires that came from the factory on the 2019 Edge were Continental CrossContact LX25. They are junk tires and we're unable to balance them at 29,000 miles. They have foam glued inside them to give a quieter ride and the foam tends to come loose making them impossible to balance. I've read a lot of 1 star reviews on them.

/ Michelin CrossClimate2 #3  
I don't have experience with that particular Michelin tire, but I've always had good luck with Michelin tires on my trucks and consider them a premium tire.

/ Michelin CrossClimate2 #4  
I switched from Michelin to BFG when I couldn't find an aggressive tread truck tire from Michelin.
I'll check that one out...

/ Michelin CrossClimate2 #5  
I put them on my wife’s Kona a few months ago and she’s very happy with them. Plus, they look cool.

/ Michelin CrossClimate2 #6  
I recently put on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on my hybrid. Car now rides like a 1977 Chrysler New Yorker hauling 6 people with fuel economy to match - instant 20% lower fuel economy on my hybrid. Will never buy these again. If I wanted a mushy soft ride with vague road feel and bad fuel economy I would go back to the 1970's.

Let us know how the CrossClimate2 tires perform.

/ Michelin CrossClimate2 #7  
The tires that came from the factory on the 2019 Edge were Continental CrossContact LX25. They are junk tires and we're unable to balance them at 29,000 miles. They have foam glued inside them to give a quieter ride and the foam tends to come loose making them impossible to balance. I've read a lot of 1 star reviews on them.

Not sure where you are reading your reviews, but I put the Continental CrossContact LX25 on the wife's Acura RDX and they are far superior to the Michelin's that came with the vehicle. The LX25 gets 4.5 stars on TireRack, the LX Sport version doesn't get as high of a rating. Maybe that's the tire you are thinking of?

/ Michelin CrossClimate2
I'm still looking for the post about the foam coming loose in the tire. Ours cannot be balanced at 29K miles and shake violently at about 40 mph. The reviews in the link do not specify which Continental tire they are talking about.

/ Michelin CrossClimate2 #9  
I'm still looking for the post about the foam coming loose in the tire. Ours cannot be balanced at 29K miles and shake violently at about 40 mph. The reviews in the link do not specify which Continental tire they are talking about.

My Tesla Model 3 came with ContiSilent tires with the foam. Lasted over 60,000 miles with no issues. Had to gove dealer the special instructions on how to patch

Andy

/ Michelin CrossClimate2
So, I got the new tires. I talked to the tech who changed them. He thought the tires I took off were SSR, Self-supporting run flat? I still can't figure out if they are but the website says they have "rim protecter". I guess that's what they consider the foam straps inside? Anyway, all of the foam straps were loose and flopping around inside the tires. They probably started that at around 20k miles. I had them spin balanced and rotated twice and they wouldn't stay balanced at all. I'm surprised Continental has allowed so many bad reviews on their website.

Here's the review that helped me figure out what the problem was:

These tires came as original equipment on a Volvo XC60. After 16 months the ContiSilent foam inside the tire separated from the tire making impossible to balance the tire. The Continental coverage drops off quickly after 12 month or 2/32 of wear which ever comes first and sounds like a complicated process. Volvo covered some of the cost for the replacement but we were also forced to buy another tire to keep the tread depth the same on the axle. Ideally we would have the same tread on all 4 tires but I could not see spending any more money on these tires. I would image that this could become a safety issue depending on how the foam releases from the tire. If this happens on any of the other tires I will consider taking this issue to the NTSB.