Middle Buster

/ Middle Buster #1  

bp fick

Tractor
John Deere X390
Have about 1/3 acre plot in the back that I have wanted to break up and eventually plant, ever since we took possession of the property last spring.

Today, after church, we stopped by TSC and sprung for a middle buster. By the time we finally got home and laced it up, (yard sales) the shadows were lengthening. I took my time and took it easy, as I didn't know what to expect from my new BX1860 nor the plow. The area is virgin soil and the sod was pretty thick. Thank goodness, I hit neither root nor rocks, which surprised me, because I hit both with my walk behind rotor tiller when putting in my garden last spring.

The plow can go so deep that it has the ability to bring the 'Bota to a virtual halt, but if you take it in 6" bites in depth, you can work it down to a good foot deep. I passed over everything twice.

As I hosed off the BX it occurred to me that I could never have broken that much ground in the 45 minutes I was in the seat with my walk behind rotor tiller. Additionally, the tractor was certainly easier on this 57 year old body.:p

As I put the tractor back into the shop for the night, I was grateful. This is precisely why I got it in the first place. Still smiling.

Fred

Last edited:
   / Middle Buster #2  
yup.
I like mine, too.
I've also used it to start shallow drainage channels alongside the drive, before coming back with the box blade and running with one tire in the ditch as a guide and to give me some slope.

/ Middle Buster
BTW, the plow was sure polished up nice and shiny by the sandy loam!!! That dull, black paint didn't last too long. :D

/ Middle Buster #4  
I bought that same implement from Tractor Supply. I used the chisel point (subsoiler) to dig a 130' of trench for an irrigation line. I used the middlebuster to prepare the vegetable garden. For me, the middle buster worked a lot better than the subsoiler but it's a handy attachment anyhow.

/ Middle Buster
By extending or retracting the upper arm, one can change the "pitch" on the plow. I would be very interested in hearing from experienced users whether this makes a difference in depth and quality of till. I am wondering how this pitch was intended to be used. Right now, I am just experimenting, really.

Some folks calls this a potato plow and I have seen photos here on digging the potatoes with it. That really interests me. I am thinking about taters for that patch.

/ Middle Buster #6  
I built one this past spring and have used it to break ground and check for rocks before tilling and for making a trench for burying dog fence or even pulling out stumps. I used an excavator tooth for a point!:D

/ Middle Buster #7  
By extending or retracting the upper arm, one can change the "pitch" on the plow. I would be very interested in hearing from experienced users whether this makes a difference in depth and quality of till. I am wondering how this pitch was intended to be used. Right now, I am just experimenting, really.

Some folks calls this a potato plow and I have seen photos here on digging the potatoes with it. That really interests me. I am thinking about taters for that patch.

I adjusted the top link until it would bite and dig in when lowered. It was trial and error for me but maybe there is a better way.

/ Middle Buster #8  
Thanks for sharing the story and pics Fred...Looks like a great implement.

Don

/ Middle Buster #9  
Yes, by changing the length of the top link you can control how agressive the middlebuster is / how deep it wants to go. If yours was setup so it was more vertical, it wouldn't go as deeply as quickly. I also used mine for digging my potatoes this fall, and it worked great for that as well.

/ Middle Buster
Thanks Chuck. Yup, the slight tilt from vertical is lessened, somewhat, when lowered. It isn't quite as steep as it looks in the photo. I have since also extended the top rod to make the position of the plow true vertical when I go at the next 12 rows. Maybe today? :D

I liked the aggressive digging position because it when right through that virgin sod. I had to watch out for going too deep, too quickly though. A less aggressive pitch should help with that. I will report after the next attempt.

I uploaded another pix, to show the rows being thrown. The photo may not show the depth, but these furrows are a good 10" deep.

My hope is that "fall plowing" helps kill the sod and it rots down. I really want to plant this next spring.