Middle Buster

/ Middle Buster #21  
Thanks for all the posts. I've been thinking of getting one also. Now I am sold.:D

/ Middle Buster #23  
I wasn't thinking of getting one but now I am. Fatwallet.com causes me to spend money on bargains and now TBN is causing me to spend more money.:) This has been a very informative thread.

/ Middle Buster #24  
Well, that's just great; now I want one.

/ Middle Buster
Sure hope you have a big family! That's going to be one large garden!! :)

Well, friend, I love gardening, as it is called these days. Back when I was young, (over a half century ago) we called it truck farming, I guess because one trucked it to town to sell at market. At least we did.

Back then, I drove my dad's 1953 Massey-Harris Pony. (11hp) It too was a single bottom blow, one row hydraulic cultivators, disk, etc. This just isn't all that much different, really. I started this thread because I took a chance on buying what amounts to a single bottom plow. Although not as neat, the job gets done. I simply could not have hand tilled that much ground with my front tine tiller. Physically impossible on this body! :eek:

/ Middle Buster #26  
I just bought the KK XB middle buster from Tractor Supply Co this morning. I already have 3 established gardens that I maintain (2 for myself and 1 for a friend). I tossed it on the BX2200 this morning and tested it out. It digs really deep with the potato plow on it. I have bar tires on the tractor and have the toolbar set almost vertical on the plow. So far I like this little implement. Can for-see using it to bury cable in the near future!! It was $139.00 in Ohio.

For the past several years I have been mowing off the garden plants in the fall, then waiting a month or so and pulling my 50" wide homebuilt chisel plow through it to mix up the soil without turning it over and destroying the soil structure. This year I want to subsoil all of the gardens and leave them untouched until spring. Then go in with the chisel plow and rip em up, disc em down and plant.

My implement inventory is as follows:

- House 14" one bottom plow with coulter and depth control
- 50" wide homebuilt rigid shank chisel plow (5 shank) with v-sweeps
- 50" wide single gang finishing disc (modified Sears disc from 1972)
- John Deere flex 71 no-till planter (1-row) with plates for beans, peas, sunflower, soybeans and corn.
- 1 Row row crop cultivator with C-Shanks
- John Deere 290 2-row planter pull behind
- Homebuilt 3-pt mounted 33 gallon 12ft folding boom sprayer

My plan for next year is to no-till a new area of yard, for sweet corn. I will spray with Round-up, no-till plant the sweet corn with the Flex 71 planter, then go back in and spray with a tank mix of liquid fert and Prowl 3.3EC after the corn comes up. This will keep any future weeds from coming up until the corn canopy fills out.

Take care and happy gardening!!

Brian

/ Middle Buster #27  
Here are some pics of my garden after fall chisel plowing a couple of days ago.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 267
   / Middle Buster
That is good lookin' soil, there Brian

Glad you like your middle buster. I couldn't do without mine.

/ Middle Buster
Got it disked yesterday. First and only day without rain in 10 days.

I re plowed and then pulled my neighbor's little "toy" disk over it. It's fine, but it sure stirs a hunger in me to get a real disk before next year. Got my eye on the Howse 5'. Maybe Santa? :D:D