Middle Buster

/ Middle Buster #11  
The fall plowing will help a lot! It's amazing how much things will compost down over the winter. I used the same middlebuster you have on my BX, but sold it with the tractor. I bought the "yellow" one for my B2620, but it won't go as deep. The 3pt doesn't go down as far........ darn. As you can see, I had mine angled some when I used it on the BX. Like you, I wanted to get down pretty deep. In my case it was to break through the "tiller pan" that had built up over years of tilling with a walk behind tiller.

Attachments

• 100_0234.JPG
    100_0234.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 1,463
  • 100_0233.JPG
    100_0233.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 669
   / Middle Buster
Great Photos!!!! Awesome. Thanks so much Chuck.

I hope others can appreciate just how much "plowing" this rather inexpensive implement can do. I started out thinking about adapting a riding lawn mower/garden tractor type plow, but in the end, went with this. I have a hunch that I am doing the right thing. Although the two sided plow is old timey and doesn't make a neat roll over furrow, like a single share, I still believe this is an inexpensive way to do so some serious sod busting.

I also had the "yellow one" loaded up, at first, (same price), but changed my mind, and went back and got the XB orange one. Although the BX can likely handle it, with the pins turned around for 20", I just thought I might have trouble not getting the "yellow one" up high enough for trips across the lawn to the "back 40".

Additionally, I will be wanting to run some underground wire and an underline pipe one day. Others here have mentioned they have had good luck with doing that too.

Last edited:
   / Middle Buster #13  
hummmm...now you all have me thinking about a middle buster too.

Suppose you use the MB for a food plot then what? ...go over it with a rototiller? We have a self propelled RT and I'm thinking it would be easier to do if I broke up the sod first...but truthfully I don't know. Anyone else do that?

/ Middle Buster
actor, sure, why not use a MB on a food plot? If the ground is tough or untilled, it would seem to be a great way to bust it up. How else? Somehow the ground needs to be broken up deeper than a disk can go.

Once broken up, say 8"-10" deep, the top will indeed need to be dressed. Disk, followed by a harrow-drag-spike of some kind. None of these implements are horribly expensive, and that is a good thing. Sections of these implements, either pull type or 3 pt., have been made for 100 years making them plentiful and inexpensive at sales, on Craigs, etc.

Of course, a $1500-$2000 tiller could just do it too. ;)

/ Middle Buster #15  
one piece of advice for new food plots -- spray the area to be turned under with roundup or somehting similar about 2-3 weeks before plowing -- starts decomposition of the roots, makes it easier to turn under & later till, and you don't get the first year growback of chopped up greens. Yes, I learned this the hard way.

/ Middle Buster #16  
The gardens I have tilled with a middlebuster have all been tilled before, but I generally plant winter rye in them in the fall, and that needs to be tilled under. I was surprised at how much my chain harrow did to smooth out the gardens right after they were tilled. Remember, this is not vigin sod.

Attachments

• 100_0240.JPG
    100_0240.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 369
  • 100_0241.JPG
    100_0241.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 100_0242.JPG
    100_0242.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 269
   / Middle Buster #17  
I'm looking at the pictures you guys posted and am so envy just looking at actual nice soil. I tool around in a pile of rocks that my wife and I named garden.

/ Middle Buster
sorry about your rock pile, er, garden there easygo.

Well, I promised I would report on additional plowing with adjusting the the unit to true vertical and thus, making the plow point almost true horizontal.

The cutting was much easier to control. It stayed on level. But I couldn't say the result were that much different. But after doing both the downward tilt method versus the level plow method, I would have to vote for the level approach as easier on both the tractor and the operator.

OK, here another photo, with 30 additional feet added. Easygo, this isn't as fine of soil as Chuck showed up there in NH. It's pretty weak sand. It is going to take a ton of compost and manure to enrich. Reminds me, Gotta call that horse guy up the road.

/ Middle Buster #20  
Thanks for the compliments on my soil. It is basically clay that the water used to stand on top of, and it would really crack when it dried out. What you are seeing is 20 years of compost, winter rye, and collected leaves. Still, it has a ways to go, but it is much better than it used to be. Not as many worms as there should be though, and I'm not sure if it's because of over tilling with my walk behind, or the tiller pan it created. The middlebuster was an attempt to get through that packed layer. My avatar shows some of my accumulated compost that I was turnign in the photo.