Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw
I have two Makita 36v and love them. One 12" and one 14".
They are my go to saws along with Makita 36v pole saw.
The Stihl only comes out for the really big stuff.
I converted just about all my tools to Makita battery about 5 years ago and have about 15-20 batteries at this point. The oldest are over 10 years old and still charge and run fine.
Great Info! Thanks!

The Milwaukee M18 saws come with a 3/8"pitch, low profile, .043" gauge narrow kerf bar and chain. Since they are thinner than a regular bar, they tend to be more flexible. I suspect that it is the bending that causes the chain to derail. You really can't put much side load or twisting pressure on them. It takes some adjustment for those used to dealing with regular kerf bars. Some people never quite get used to how comparatively gentle you have to be with them.

The replacement is a 3/8" pitch, low profile, .050" gauge bar and chain. This is a standard kerf bar, so is thicker and stiffer than the narrow kerf bars. This chain uses the same drive sprockets as the narrow kerf chain, so it's not surprising that you are not seeing unusual wear.
Thanks! Do you think that maybe the top handle saws have that thinner, lighter bar because they are designed to be used in trees mostly on smaller limbs? It sounds like a lot of people are using them as regular chainsaws instead of as limbing saws in trees. Which I will admit I'm not going to be climbing a tree to use one, if I decide to get it.

My first battery chain saw was the 12” DeWalt.I used it mainly for orchard pruning and fallen trees in the woods. I liked it, but didn’t love it, and eventually wore the thing plumb out

Decided to upgrade to the Milwaukee saw, and that thing has really been impressive compared to the smaller DeWalt.
haven't fired up the Stihl for a couple of years, but have no intention of ever selling it.
I rarely reach for a corded or gas powered machine any more, other than tractors and lawn mowers.
Still though, kinda wish I could try out a battery z turn, just out of curiosity.
I hear you on trying out that battery Z turn. Just not real sure I'm ready to go that far, yet.

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw #24  
I have used them in those temps. Below zero. I haven't.
I've used mine below zero, but only for a few cuts. I avoid it - with either gas or battery chainsaws - if I can. I generally save that for emergencies: helping folks dig out after a winter storm.

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw #25  
I don't know, I have used my Makita tools in 20's- 30's never a problem and that's making a living with them, not just occasional as needed basis.

My Stihl has a plastic cover by the air filter that you flip around for cold vs warm weather use.

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw #26  
As far as "Top Handle" saws. I don't have one. I may look for one for better balance when pruning.

A couple of people have mentioned dual batteries. That may be an option. However, there are different methods for connecting batteries. My 40V Greenworks mower takes two batteries, but only uses one at a time. Draining the first before starting the second. So it is effectively a single battery mower. Doing parallel or serial connections for dual batteries would be of some benefit (more amps or volts), but would require well matched batteries.

I just purchased two Greenworks 20" saws. 60V Pro, and 82V Commercial. They are very powerful saws. The 82V is rated at 3.4kW, while the 60V Pro saw looks identical, but rated at 3.2kW. For an electric, the saws are very powerful, and work somewhat like similar sized gas saws. Much nicer than the old Greenworks 40V.

The 60V and 82V batteries are HUGE, and expensive. And the saw does chew through the batteries a bit. They are "smart" batteries. And, I have already encountered cold faults, but no hot faults yet. So that may ultimately be annoying, we'll see.

They currently offer 24V, 40V, 60V, 80V, and 82V tools (with the 80V and 82V batteries being similar). So a bit aggravating to encounter the plethora of batteries.

Greenworks has listed an 82V 24" HOG saw, but it may not be out for several more months. I'm looking forward to trying that.

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw #27  
I also have the Greenworks 60v 20 inch saw and I agree it is the equivalent to a 50 + cc gas saw and I really like it. It will cut just as good as my Husky 359xp. I have not used it a whole lot yet as I have only had it several months, the only complaint is it is heavy with 8 ah battery.

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw #28  
We have both a regular 16” Milwaukee and an echo. Both have there place. For cleaning up limbs and small Alders ( under 14” at the butt) the battery saw is the go to. generally cut branches into manageable pieces and load onto the pallet forks. Cut, load, drive 40’ and repeat. If I am walking around and cutting a lot in the spring, I take the gas saw.

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw #29  
How many battery saws you have to buy before you can finally say “good enough”?
And these electric/gas saw comparisons are cute, but we are talking a few cuts. Let’s cut all day and see who gets more done.

I had a 60V DeWalt Max saw and it was “ok”. Good for a dozen cuts then fumble for a battery. Customers liked the quiet. Starts easily of course, but other than that, still a occasional use saw for short term use.

/ Milwaukee Battery Top Handle chainsaw #30  
I know I wouldnt give my batt stuff up. We just used the heck out of them doing apple tree pruning. polesaw and sawzall with pruner blade.
We cant even kill our old 20v stuff.
So we just keep investing in same system since already have batts and chargers too.
Got a very cool matrix 20v system for Christmas that been using all week for project. Nice having no cords. But if needed more power still have that option.

Plus all our manual pruner blade pole saw and 28" loppers and hand sized pruners.

Sold the sweet echo gas pole saw as not needed and wife couldnt even hold the thing up. Battery pole saw equals less work for me ;) ;)

bd20vpruner.jpg

Last edited: