Mounting Tiltmeters

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #41  
Glennmac, could you post a pic of your Tiltmeter and its mounting? Would appreciate it if you can. Thanks.

Rick, like all parts manufacturers, such items are limited in the years that they can be reasonably manufactured for.
To pick a time frame, look at the most popular tractors manufactured and sold in the U.S. in the past 10 years for example, and limit your production to those. Sure, you will not cover a lot of tractors, but you will cover a large number. If 10 years is too short of a span, then look at the numbers and try to decide on an optimum number of years. Just suggestions, as my old tractor is 30 +/- years old, and I figured I would have to make up a braket myself.

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #42  
Scruff, I don't have picture capability yet. But you can see the place if you look at the picture of Bird's 2710, which is the same setup as my 2910. (I don't know how to move the picture to this message or draw circles on it.) You will see the front of his right FEL stanchion post. The black rectangle of his brake pedal is on his pant leg just behind the top of the stanchion. You can also see the hole for the FEL removal pin going across the top of the stanchion.

I put my tiltmeter behnd the stanchion, on the other (left) side of the tractor, flush with the top of the stanchion. I could even have put it up higher, on the part of the FEL that gets removed, which would have even been better if I didn't remove my FEL so often.

On your photo of Grumpy, it would be on your FEL stanchion post about 8-10" below your gloved left hand.

Maybe someone with a digital camera and a 27/2910 (or a Grande L, I think they are similar) could take a picture of the back of your left FEL mounting stanchion and post it here. Or copy a picture from another place.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by glennmac on 10/30/00 09:10 AM.</FONT></P>

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #43  
Re: Mounting Tiltmeters--Chalkley Technology

Yep Paul, right in the first paragraph, it says (in all caps) "Never mount an indicator with or near a magnet".

Good enough for me. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

msig.gif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #44  
Re: ROPS Facts/info

Made alot of calls today about rops facts. First, there is
much information available, however it is in pieces for
different applications. Rops became standard equip.10-25-76.
Extensive research and design went into developement. Use
seat belt with rops ALWAYS. DO NOT USE WITHOUT ROPS.
Rops are designed to give a "zone of protection". Seat belt
will keep you inside this "zone of protection"You cannot
end up with your head under the roll-bar if seat belt is
used properly.
National Safety Council Quote: Tractor roll-overs accounted
for over one half of ON THE FARM tractor fatalities each yr.
"Roll-overs have occured at all levels of experience."
Quote from "GUIDE TO AGRICULTURAL TRACTOR ROLL-OVER
PROTECTIVE STRUCTURES"...Preventing death from tractor
roll-overs can be done in two ways. #1Prevent the tractor
from rolling over in the first place. #2 Protect the
operator in case of a roll-over.
All stats I found were for specific types of operation.
Some were for farm related only. (farm meaning full time
farming of 500 or more acres.) Hobby farming, week-end
farming, or tractor use by individuals as property up keep
are NOT included in these stats. An estimated 1100 roll-
overs are REPORTED each yr. Estimated 2000+ are not
reported. Roll-over deaths are not seperated by roll/vs tip.
Many "lay-over tractor accidents where the tractor did
not roll have caused deaths also due to being pinned
under tractor,becoming entangled in implement being used
on tractor. Not all cabs are rops. Some cabs are made to
protect operator from weather etc. only. NOT ROLL-OVER.
Believe it or not FOPS -yes- FOPS are available for most
tractors. Designed to protect operator with no cab from
"FALLING OBJECT PROTECTIVE STRUCTURES. Recommended for use
with FEL or when operating in wooded area. (the dreaded
widow maker). No one I spoke to had total stats. Stats
for farm, hobby farm, weekend warrior,construction use
etc. combined could not be found.
Even ONE death per year is too many , especially if it is
you or a family member. Hope this helps. Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #45  
Harv,
The mounting you made is neat and all...

But, I would be concerned that while you are ducking for a branch, and bouncing up and down a bit as you go over bumps, that could spell disaster if you bounced forward and hit your face or head on that panel.

I know even going slow, as I work around the brush on my property, I have bounced forward toward the steering wheel/dash, even when my seatbelt is snug.

That narrow verticle edge just looks like it could put a nasty gash in ya.

Just 2 cents...

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters
RobertN -

Don't underestimate yourself -- your 2 cents is probably worth closer to a quarter. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I hadn't thought about slicing my head on my vertical dashboard extension. With my seatbelt on I'm not sure if I would reach that far (see that recent picture I posted showing off the Chalkley Cup), but I'm going to test that out next time I'm up there.

The square corners certainly have to go, and now that you've got me thinking about it, it wouldn't hurt to slit some of my high-pressure hose I have laying around and glue it (with that Monkey Booger stuff) to the top edge just in case.

I appreciate your observations on this kind of stuff -- don't ever hold back. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #47  
Mark, Glenmac and the rest,
I have almost finished a project I have been working on
for sometime off and on. I would like your input as end
users of tractors and equipment. I know the idea would
not necessarily pertain to you guys, but I value everyone
on this forums opinions. I have made an electronic
counter that keeps track of how many times a preset limit
is reached on a tractor. (actually, it is made by an
electronics firm but I have adapted it with a few
modifications, to work on 12 v.d.c. and to fit my beeper
module models). An employee could be tracked to see how
many times he abused the slope limit recommended. It
could also help keep the employee from abusing the limit
because his actions could be recorded and stored. I have
not finished a lockout circuit to keep it from being
erased by operator, but I hope to soon.
Could also be used by o.e.m. to record tilt abuse for warranty purposes on improper oiling of motor at too much
angle.
So guys what do you think ????? Useful item, or brain
function lapse by Mr. Tiltmeter. ?????
Give your opinions here. Vote here.(not in florida.) Rick

Rick Hedgecock
R&B Manufacturing

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #48  
Rick,
I bet that the highway deptments that you sell to would like to have that one. Then they could tell which ones were taking to many chances.
JerryG

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #49  
Rick - If I had a fleet of tractors or other vehicles where tilt was important, I'd sure be interested. And I'll bet my insurance company would be interested, too. I don't care what you've got in the way of meters, if the hired help doesn't really care, it's not going to do any good. On the other hand, if they know you can tell what they were up to even when you're not around, it's got to help. Even if it doesn't, you've got the knowledge you need to fire the idiot before he sacrifices himself to give his relatives an excuse to sue you.

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Mounting Tiltmeters #50  
I received my two tiltmeters/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, a model #25C and a model #7489C from R&B Manufacturing. They look great. They are very professional looking pieces of equipment. I have started working on another type of mount that will allow the meter to be mounted on any surface angle. Should have it mounted by the first of the week to try out.
I held one of them to my tractors dash yesterday to check a bank that I brush hog several times a year. I guess that my gut feelings were about right/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif, when I would get to about 15 degrees I would start to get that feeling and by 20 degrees I was nervous.
Thanks Rick
JerryG