Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #22  
I bought the axle hubs from Northern Tool and welded the units up from some 4 inch tubing I had out of the demo scrap pile.
Welded gusseted angle iron ears on the top of the tube to bolt to the shipping container oval corner hold downs, used some 1" bolts and nuts and it worked very well.
It may have worked better if I had ran the axles through the fork lift pockets.

The hardest part was trying to jack it up to bolt them on.
When I had it delivered I set it on 8x8 timbers and that wasn't high enough. The first time I jacked it up it kept sliding off of the jacks since it was on a slight incline. I had to tie it off to the tractor.
When i bought the hubs they were on sale!
128008_700x700.jpg

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #24  
Another option for storage is a the cargo box from a delivery truck. Here is a seller in central Oklamoma: Truck-n-Trailer Storage

619f41433051.jpg

e87fe26361e4.jpg

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #25  
Here is what I had in mind.

This would be a larger version of a tandem boat trailer axle assembly that can be moved to adjust the balance. I believe most mobile home axles are wide enough an 8 ft wide container would fit between the wheels. The container could be placed into the angle frame and fastened using the fork lift holes and a long bolt or bolt and plate if the holes are open underneath.

A pole or V tongue could fasten to the front axle frame crossmember and be also fastened to a crossmember bolted to the front lower container corner holes.

Bruce

ContainerDolly.jpg

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #26  
The going rate for a 20 footer is about $1200.00 in southeast VA
We have several ports here

My son bought one last Friday. 20 footer for $2400, plus sales tax and $150 delivery in Ma. Sounds like he needs to move to VA.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #27  
My son bought one last Friday. 20 footer for $2400, plus sales tax and $150 delivery in Ma. Sounds like he needs to move to VA.

That's the problem here in the North East. Containers, trailers, used trucks, etc. Most everything we want to buy costs more. Containers are about the same (2-3K) depending on condition.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #28  
They also turn up occasionally in military surplus auctions. I think I saw several this summer go for <$800 each.

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #29  
That's the problem here in the North East. Containers, trailers, used trucks, etc. Most everything we want to buy costs more. Containers are about the same (2-3K) depending on condition.

This is also the problem in the SF Bay Area... everything I want costs more... had a quote delivered 7 miles for a 20 and it was $3100 plus tax...

/ Move 20ft ocean container on car trailer #30  
I would bias the load to the front for more tongue load, you want about 10-15% and are well under that. You DO NOT want to get into a situation where you get sway from a light tongue load, very difficult to recover from at these weights and hard to fix if you do recover.

I agree with more timbers, 4 or 5 would be better. I would also have four 10" x 24" logs at the unload site and just ROLL that bad boy off the trailer a little at a time. Jack up one end, remove all but on timber at opposite end, install one log on each side, repeat at other end and roll!