MT160D

/ MT160D #11  
Attached is a picture of my S-470D Buck. It is not pretty to look at, has been rolled on three separate occasions. It is still a beast! My Dad bought it new. I also have a Mitsubishi FD1450D which looks a lot better and does the mowing that my Z cannot get to. Does your 160 crank and run OK and does the 3 point hitch work?

Attachments

• tractors 003.jpg
    tractors 003.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 249
   / MT160D
Attached is a picture of my S-470D Buck. It is not pretty to look at, has been rolled on three separate occasions. It is still a beast! My Dad bought it new. I also have a Mitsubishi FD1450D which looks a lot better and does the mowing that my Z cannot get to. Does your 160 crank and run OK and does the 3 point hitch work?

Knowing the history of a machine since new is an advantage- How it is run and maintained has a big effect on longevity. I don't know the history of the 160, so I have to deduce from the evidence, and the evidence seems to indicate that the owner(s) were not too concerned with maintence. It is probably a tribute to the machine that it does, in fact, run at all.

It cranked and started when I went to look at it (I intentially arrived earlier than I had said I would and checked to be sure it was a cold start).

The 3 point rose and fell with me standing on the arms, but there was nothing heavier around to check it with, so i don't know if it will raise a heavy load or hold it.

The only other thing I noticed is the differential lock pedal does not seem to move. Might be rust on the pedal linkage, or might be internal- don't know at the moment. A non-functioning differential lock would not be a big deal, in my opinion, since one can always brake the spinning wheel, but it's another sign that the machine has been ignored. As is the fact that the brake pedals are not lined up, and lining them up is a 10 minute job adjusting a few nuts. Except that the nuts and rods are badly rusted now from disuse.

Speaking of rolling, one thing that i liked about this one is it had wide turf tires on it. My ground is hard & rocky, so ag tires probably don't get that much more traction than turf tires, and the wider stance is nice since i have a few hills. The tires are not in that good of shape, however.

What is that steel angle thing behind the seat?

/ MT160D #13  
It is a sprayer that I made a 3ph frame and boom for.

Attachments

• tractors 001.jpg
    tractors 001.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 258
   / MT160D
Here is a link to a free OEM owners manual. Might be of help or interest http://home.comcast.net/~tdepooter/Mitsubishi MT160-180 Instruction Book Optimized.pdf

I appreciate the link. However, I already have that, along with a service manual for the 160/180, which is available for download in (2) PDF's

I had a look at these before going to see the thing- in fact that was one reason for looking at this particular tractor; I could research it a bit ahead of time without having to buy the manuals.

I do appreciate you help.

I will spray some more penetrating oil on a bunch of the rusted plugs/nuts/bolts this afternoon before I start-up the Weed Eater. Put a wrench to them over the weekend. If the plugs will come out, and there is actually clean lube in the trans & front axle, that's obviously a plus, but if what drains out is watery/milky, and way less volume than should be in there, that's a strike against the thing.

/ MT160D #16  
I have to say, that machine looks a lot better than my 180D.

/ MT160D #17  
Were you closer I would be a serious candidate to purchase.
I have owned a 180D for some 10-12 years and it never ceases to impress me with its ruggedness and ability.
I move lots of material with the FEL and blow lots of snow with my 60" blower.
Never let me down. Has about 1300 hrs total.

/ MT160D
Decided to try to "break loose" all of the plugs and so forth before actually draining anything or buying anything. Spent this morning working on the tractor, intersperced with bouts of weed eating. I have all of the plugs on the front axle loosened, crankcase drain loosened (it was remarkably tight- probably has not been off in years), the oil filter is loosened, the (2) drains on the diff/trans are loosened, the "check oil level" plug on the side of the trans is loosened, and the lower bolt on the hydr. filter is loosened. The upper bolt on that filter is a real problem. Both of the bolt heads were so badly rusted that a 12 mm wrench is loose on the heads, an 11 mm is too tight, as is a 7/16. I have applied heat from a propane torch several times, and lots of PB Blaster oil. I got the lower one loosened with a funky-looking wrench I bought probably 30 years agao that is supposed to tighten-down on any size bolt head as you turn it, and it worked pretty well on the lower bolt, but I put about all the torque I had in me on that upper bolt and it is holding tight still. I will try repeatedly heating it with the torch and spraying with oil, in hopes that the oil will be drawn into the threads by capilary action (like sweating a copper pipe).

The crankcase oil looks pretty sludgy; It would probably be best to drop the oil pan and clean it but I don't want to get into that. What about flushing the crankcase with #2 diesel fuel? I am not talking about starting the engine with diesel in the crankcase; rather just pouring it in at the valve cover and
letting it drain out the bottom?

A second oil change after it has run a very few hours on the first change is certainly in order.

Found a few issues with the 3-point set up. Nothing major, but according to all the photos I have seen on the internet, my adjustable sidelinks are upside down. Since they are rusted solid, they may need to be replaced anyway. Also, where the lower arms attach to a big steel rod under the diff, there is supposed to be a spacer on each side to keep the arms next to the diff and not allow them to migrate out to the ends of the rod. Both of my spacers are missing. I don't think the rod is bent but it certainlly could get bent if the arms are pulling on the ends of the rod. Not a big deal to cut a couple of spacers from a piece pipe, but its more evidence of the lack of concern & care that this tractor has endured.

/ MT160D
Changed the engine oil & filter yesterday. The fresh oil promptly turned black. Also put in a new air filter.

Today I flushed the cooling system with clear water, then refilled with 50% antifreeze mix. While the engine was hot, I drained out the crankcase oil I put in yesterday, and refilled with fresh oil. Did not change the filter again. After a short period of running I will change the engine oil & filter one more time. Hope that will flush the oil pan and oil galleries to some extent.

The old coolant tested to -15F, which is adequate for around here, so hopefully there has been no freeze damage.

The battery hold-downs are long-gone, and the battery has been sliding around it's tray in front of the
radiator. Noticed that it has been beating against the radiator fins. Will need to fasten the battery down in some fashion.

Have not attempted to remove the rusted bolt on the hydr. filter, but have been spraying it with penetrating oil. Am considering just changing the fluid and leaving the filter/strainer as-is and hoping it doesn't plug up, but i think it is pretty common for them to plug after something disturbs the fluid, like changing it.

According to the manual there is a drain for the fuel tank. Will plan on draining the tank and refilling with fresh diesel, then changing the fuel filter

/ MT160D #20  
You may need a bigger tractor, but I never cease to be amazed what my little Beaver can do. Even though I've abused it for 30+ years and haven't always maintained it as I ought to...

Having a second tractor with some ability is always a plus. So buy that larger machine and keep the little Mitsubishi. :D