MT160D

/ MT160D #21  
Black engine oil is normal for a diesel. Keep the updates coming!

/ MT160D
You may need a bigger tractor, but I never cease to be amazed what my little Beaver can do. Even though I've abused it for 30+ years and haven't always maintained it as I ought to...

Having a second tractor with some ability is always a plus. So buy that larger machine and keep the little Mitsubishi. :D

The Mitsubishi already is the "larger machine," considering the Sears 11 hp garden tractor that I have been running. Larger used tractors often are no more expensive to buy than the compact tractors, but the ground that i am dealing with is 200 miles away from home, there is no place to safely leave a tractor down there, I need to have the tractor at home for maint. and repairs (in order to make the most productive use of the limited amount of time I can spend on site) and the limit of what my current truck and trailer will haul is no more than 2000 lbs.

And I am rapidly running short of space at home to store tractors, trailers and the like.

If this thing will run, it will do the jobs i need done. Specifically, I need to bush hog 6 acres or so twice a year, and I need to grade between 300 and 900 feet of exisiting rock road after I have someone dump more rock on it.

If i can get this machine to the point where i have some confidence in it (which the reader may note is somewhat lacking at the moment) I will be in the market for a 4 foot used rotary cutter. I have 160 lbs of homemade "suitcase" weights that i welded-up for the Sears, and have the materials for about 40 lbs more, and will adapt them to be usable on the Mitsubishi, since the rotary cutter will certainly make the front end "light."

Last edited:
   / MT160D #23  
I found this one for $325 on CL.

Attachments

• tractors 005.jpg
    tractors 005.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 326
   / MT160D
I found this one for $325 on CL.

Price aint bad, but is it missing a universal joint and coupler?

This is a little bit closer to home:
4' Clipper 400 Bushhog - Reduced

Maybe a little more expensive than it should be. I think "Clipper" is Lowery's light-duty line.

I would really prefer a 42 inch cutter, but very few of those to be found used, and more expensive to buy new than a 48" due to low selling volumes.

A 42" would be a lot lighter than a 48", which would help the trailering situation. I have mowed almost the whole place with the 42" deck on the Sears tractor so the time factor of 42" vs 48" is not a big issue to me.

/ MT160D #25  
Too bad you're not closer to PA. I have a Woods RM42, perfect for behind a tractor with multispeed PTO. Only thing "wrong" with it is a need for a new PTO shaft. And it's been used hard and shows it, but I think lots of life left. Useless to me since my Beaver has CCW PTO and my Deere is limited to 540 RPM which is much lower than the mower needs.

/ MT160D #26  
Price aint bad, but is it missing a universal joint and coupler?

This is a little bit closer to home:
4' Clipper 400 Bushhog - Reduced

Maybe a little more expensive than it should be. I think "Clipper" is Lowery's light-duty line.

I would really prefer a 42 inch cutter, but very few of those to be found used, and more expensive to buy new than a 48" due to low selling volumes.

A 42" would be a lot lighter than a 48", which would help the trailering situation. I have mowed almost the whole place with the 42" deck on the Sears tractor so the time factor of 42" vs 48" is not a big issue to me.

It is complete, I bought it over a year ago and it does a good job.

/ MT160D
My preference would have been to buy a tractor & implements package, rather than go try to find all the individual pieces (I need a blade as well) but it didn't work out that way.

By the way, according to the owner's manual, the 4 wheel drive version of the MT160 is supposed to have right about 50% more drawbar pull than the rear wheel drive version; 1301 lbs vs. 860 lbs.

Which reminds me, while crawling underneath the thing i noticed that only the two rear mounting holes for the drawbar had bolts in them. The front holes were empty. I wonder if the threads in those open (certainly rusty) holes can be chased-enough to take bolts.

Stormy here yesterday evening, so I didn't mess with the thing. I am leaning towards draining the old hydraulic fluid and refilling with fresh, and leaving the strainer and it's rusted bolt for another time. I don't know if I can get a drill up into the space available in order to drill out the bolt if i break it off.

/ MT160D #28  
I looked into buying a bottoming tap for chasing those threads. It was around $44.00 almost 20 yrs ago. You could take an extra bolt and with a side grinder cut two or three grooves along the side of the bolt. A regular tap is too tapered to get those threads in the blind end of the hole.

/ MT160D
I looked into buying a bottoming tap for chasing those threads. It was around $44.00 almost 20 yrs ago. You could take an extra bolt and with a side grinder cut two or three grooves along the side of the bolt. A regular tap is too tapered to get those threads in the blind end of the hole.

That should work, assuming there are any threads left. The bottom rear of this tractor looks like it was parked on a salt pile.

Would be interesting to start yanking on something big, and have the drawbar come loose because it only had half of it's bolts.

/ MT160D
Would something like this cut waist-high grass?

older 48 inch Woods finish mower

Also, interesting to note the photo of the tag: mentions Kubota B6000, which if I understand correctly, has a reverse-turning PTO. Also mentions the Satoh Beaver; does that have a reverse-turning PTO ? I would not think the thing would be set-up to run "both ways" but maybe it can be??

Also mentions yanmar YM135 & YM 155

What i really want is a rotary cutter but not a whole lot of them in sizes 4ft and under for sale at the moment.