Must be fall ... the Moles are back

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #21  
I am glad I live on the side of a rocky mountain.
We have possums, ground hogs, turkeys, an occasional black bear, crows and a few other critters..
moles would just drive me nuts!!!

Art

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back
SARG--that is shocking to see.
We are new to this area and I have not seen any moles--do you even see them?---but we do have small holes near some newer trees. Not in the lawn.
Maybe mice but I don't know.
Then again, I have dogs as a deterrent.
We have, however, found some dead critters occasionally that look like 3 inch long lobsters--no kidding-- and people tell me they live in holes around the yard.
I have no idea.

When I spot the clean holes without the mud pushed up ....... I know it's a VOLE using the Mole paths ( really ... do a Google ) and they can be caught with the traps as well.

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #23  
We have, however, found some dead critters occasionally that look like 3 inch long lobsters--no kidding-- and people tell me they live in holes around the yard.
I have no idea.

Sounds as if you have crawfish (or crayfish or crawdads, depending on what part of the country you're from:laughing:).

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #24  
Sounds as if you have crawfish (or crayfish or crawdads, depending on what part of the country you're from:laughing:).

Bird--I'm from central Ohio on black clay dirt and dead flat damp farm ground.
We have found a number of these things--dead and dry and mostly in the fall. They look just like mini Maine lobsters.
I thought the big winds around here blew them in from somewhere else but that doesn't sound right. Others say they have heard of these around here but that's as far as it went.

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #25  
i bought a couple of the out of sight victor traps: to hard to set up for me: i went back to the victor plung/stabbing trap: i got two with it last fall: i have also got the ones they sell at lowes, a sweeney brand, black in color: have never got anything with one of those...so i think i will stick with the victor stabbing trap...i have had the best luck with it.
heehaw

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #26  
You guy's are gunna think I'm nuts, but last Spring we had them bad in the front yard, I tried 3 traps and caught 1.

I have tried smoke bombs, pellets whatever with no noticeable difference. Then I was told about "Nematodes" that attack their food underground, grubs and such, by an AG agent. I spent like $60 for my size yard and an hour of my time. It was probably 3 weeks when my wife and I noticed they had gone. That was last spring and so far they are away from the house still.

I think I got the nematodes from "Buglogic", but not sure, Google may do it if your interested

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #27  
It's some interesting reading, Dennis. I'd heard of them before but 28,000 varieties? Wow! Not cheap either.

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #28  
i have been told to put out stuff that will kill the grubs, which is their food: but i figure that kills all the worms an good stuff like that too, so i have stayed away from that: i did try the smoke bombs, poison peanuts an all that too: no difference at all.
heehaw

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #29  
Bill, I've never seen one of those twin set Victors, don't quite understand just how they work, but they're definitely too expensive. And the Rodenator? That looks like it might do more damage to my yard that the moles are doing.:laughing: I have two new mounds in the yard this morning; one less than 6 feet from the new Windmill.:laughing: So I set the trap again, too, and we'll see what happens.

Bird I got most of mine in the 8.00 to 15.00 range.
You cock them and straddle the run so the four finger that hang down are on either side of the run. They pinch shut like a scissors.

/ Must be fall ... the Moles are back #30  
We have more than our share of moles in the yard, even now. A few months ago, I bought a Victor Mole Trap and tried setting it in about 3 locations, leaving it for several days each time, and have never caught a one. Just haven't had Sarg's luck. Today I learned of a Harbor Freight store not far from us that I didn't know existed, so I went to see it, actually was looking for something like a farm jack, but smaller and lighter. But my wife went with me, and she saw these Windmill Mole Chasers. I told her I'd be very surprised if they worked, but she asked an employee at the store and he said he'd had customers drive down from Oklahoma just to buy them because the stores up there were out. So as you might expect, I had to buy one, assemble it, and put it in the yard this afternoon.:D

I've never had luck with the plunger trap. I have had over 200 confirmed kills with the Out O Sight trap.

Opening day of mole season happened this weekend. First signs of activity. Two Out Sight traps deployed. 4 more held in reserve! :laughing: