My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L
Technically, your comparing a gas engine with a rev limit of about 5500 rpms to a diesel engine with a rev limit of about 4500 rpm's. So neither were really "screaming" in terms of engine speed.
Either way, I was hoping to see a little better mpg's since your pulling pretty much half what the truck is rated for vs. a truck that was pretty maxed out.

Thank you for the lesson. Even though I bought that truck new, owned it for 10 years, put 210,000 miles on it and it never saw 4600 rpm, it is good to know that it wasn't really screaming.

I might have to redefine what I consider screaming. So when I was crew chiefing my buddy's front motor dragster with a big block Chevy, I guess when it went through the lights at 8500 rpm and 160 mph, it really wasn't screaming. Or when I was crew chiefing his jet dragster with a GE J-85, and he would spool it up to 100% with the bypass doors open, close the doors and light the afterburner, and go through the lights at 300 mph in 5.2 seconds that probably wasn't screaming either.

Lucky for me that after being a professional mechanic for 25 years now, I have a better understanding of the term "screaming".

Brian

Sorry, your statement just rubbed me the wrong way.

Here are a few new pics.

Brian

Attachments

• IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 544
  • IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    627.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 878
   / My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #23  
I'm going to have to disagree on doing earlier oil changes than what is recommended.

I drive a diesel car (I know, way different than a truck), but I work at a commercial truck dealership and from what I've seen, recommended OCIs are better...and sometimes, even going longer is better. UOAs have been done and can back up this in many instances.

Nice truck, though. Good luck with it.

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #25  
Nice truck Brian.

Chris

Nice rig Brian! Looks like you're back in business!:thumbsup:

Definitely back in business. Here are a couple of pics of what I worked on today. It is a Kubota R520 wheel loader that I had to split and replace the pivot bushings. One of the local dealers quoted 18 hours, plus the pick-up and delivery charges to take it back to their shop. I did this one in 9 hours including a basic service (air, oil, fuel filters, and oil change) on-site. I have a head gasket job on a Ford 2910 on Monday, along with replacing some rollers on a pull behind Toro reel mower and a drive belt on a Club Car. Tuesday I have a rear differential repair on a Taylor/Dunn electric cart. Then Wednesday I have some minor repairs on a Kubota L48. Yesterday I replaced the drive sprockets and one of the drive motors on a Ditch Witch compact track machine.

I have almost a thousand miles on the truck now, with almost 350 of those towing. The computer is claiming 8.0 mpg right now for the 350 miles of towing.

Attachments

• LH_R520.jpg
    LH_R520.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 387
  • RH_R520.jpg
    RH_R520.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 268
  • R520_complete.jpg
    R520_complete.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 229
   / My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #28  
Glad your new truck has you back in business. Now you can pay the note.:licking:

Chris

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #29  
Here are a few new pics.

Brian

Is that dark green or black? My '06 looks very similar except without the obvious change on the front fender that the 6.4's have. I generally have my truck tuned for towing but as I'm sure you have read, I can give a new Camaro or Mustang a run for their money in performance mode. The same guy who is a 6.0 and 6.4 Ford only diesel tech who's hobby is truck pulling and diesel drags told me that the 6.4 is similar to the 6.0 in that if you just change out the head studs with ARP studs and some of the pollution stuff happens to become inop, you can't hardly tear it up if you keep up with your maintenance on the engine and transmission.

I've towed over 20k from IN to Miami and back more than a few times with zero issues and can drive it like a car; keeping up with traffic and no issues with mountains. I had a skirt gasket leaking when I bought my truck and that tech installed the ARP studs for no additional cost when he fixed that leak and I've not had a hint of a problem since. That will be 3 years ago later this summer. Nice looking rig! :thumbsup:

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #30  
Is that dark green or black? My '06 looks very similar except without the obvious change on the front fender that the 6.4's have. I generally have my truck tuned for towing but as I'm sure you have read, I can give a new Camaro or Mustang a run for their money in performance mode. QUOTE]

Racing those 6 cylinders?

"C" 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for Factory Stock Vehicles

Dargo the reason the mechanic installed arp studs is that the ford torque to yield studs are a known flaw.