My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines
Thanks for the video link Egon. Those are pretty cool, and I need to investigate them further.

I'll have to be careful with the cheater bars since the bender is made of die-cast aluminum.

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines #22  
Matt as I mentioned to you before. I've used silver solder and paste to repair steel hydraulic lines for years and if the fit is tight, the work is clean and the heat is perfect it will be as good as new. I do many many jobs like that per year and never had one fail. If the silver is applied properly you'll hardly even know it's there it's that clean looking. I think you've done well here and I'm sure you'll get it to work. The other option is to take a vacation to Newfoundland and bring the stuff with you :thumbsup::laughing:

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines #23  
I'm a great believer in using a torque wrench whenever possible.

Thanks!

Thanks, I posted twice due to the crossover between welding and hydraulics.

Be careful with a torque wrench. In a forum I run we seee far more damage caused by uneducated torque wrenching than we do by lack of use. A lubricated thread changes the game significantly!

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines #24  
Matt as I mentioned to you before. I've used silver solder and paste to repair steel hydraulic lines for years

That is what I was thinking, silver solder.

I even used lead solder, (not recommended), on one of my leaking solenoid valve stems, (I could not heat it enough to use anything else without burning it up), and that is holding.

Brazing is not real difficult. But, it requires more heat, than some people realize. Those pieces need to be perfectly prepared, and heated to the start of a red hot stage, to get the brass to flow.

If you don't have a welding turntable, I would make a small one, to work on top of.

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines #25  
The other option is to take a vacation to Newfoundland and bring the stuff with you :thumbsup::laughing:

If he gets to The Rock he may not leave!:D

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines #26  
If he gets to The Rock he may not leave!:D

Geez that's true. If he did leave he'd go back and tell everyone else and the next thing they'd all be up here. Matt. Can you hear me? Stay where your at. This place is not fit to visit.

Pist- That should keep him away Egon :thumbsup::laughing:

Don't worry guys...it's too cold where you live in Canada for this thin blooded man to show up on your doorsteps. :)

It's finally starting to warm up here, and yet I still use the heating pad on low under my feet while key-slapping at the PC.

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines #28  
How did you make the brazing rings? Did you just curl and cut small pieces of wire?

When I think of brazing I usually think of brass as the filler. I have always called what you accomplished and silver soldering. Using steel as a filler was called oxy/accetlene welding.

/ My first attempt at brazing for hydraulic hard-lines #29  
If he did leave he'd go back and tell everyone else

After you fill the Bye up with fresh Cod, Lobster, Moose steaks and teach him the language by the time he goes home for visitin nobody there will be able to understand him!:thumbsup:

How did you make the brazing rings? Did you just curl and cut small pieces of wire?

When I think of brazing I usually think of brass as the filler. I have always called what you accomplished and silver soldering. Using steel as a filler was called oxy/accetlene welding.

Yep, I made them from 0.063" 45% silver brazing wire, and coiled them around some scrap rod I had lying around. The brazing wire is tougher than it looks.

I'm also going to see if the local Parker Parker store carries Parker's Feru-Lok flareless bite type fittings, as that may be a good alternative to brazing. Hey, what's another fitting type in the mix? :)

After you fill the Bye up with fresh Cod, Lobster, Moose steaks and teach him the language by the time he goes home for visitin nobody there will be able to understand him!:thumbsup:

I'm not big on seafood; but I can bring you boys a Colorado delicacy called 'Rocky Mountain Oysters' if you'd like to try them.