MY KEY IS YOUR KEY?

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #11  
The key for my New Holland TC24 is IDENTICAL to the key for the Kubota B2910.

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #13  
Just because all the keys are alike, don't get the false impression that all the ignition cylinders are alike. The similarity ends at the key. On the electrical side, they might even look identical, but internally, they are all different. The same with riding lawn mowers. One key fits all.
Dusty

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #14  
ozzie tractor said:
guys there is about 10 different keys to suit the entire kubota range. yes service tecs carry there own (or should, i do) once you get to know the models you just grab any old key. makes it easy if you loose a key but. not so secure though. but diesels are real easy to hot wire anyway.

there are about 10 keys that fit ALL the CUT range; Kubota, JD, New Holland, Massey and others.

I needed a spare key for my Kubota. I went to the local independant dealer/service guy just down the road from my house. He reached in to a jar of keys and pulled one out. Worked fine. He said there were only a few key sets out there for most brands, and they fit across brands, ie JD fits Kubota, Massey etc.

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #15  
One morning before the coffee kicked in, I noticed something looked odd with my dashboard. I had used the barn keys to start tractor. It's just a simple, small Master lock on the barn. I was really surprised that it worked!

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #16  
Your ignition tumbler is worn. When that happens, you can use anything from another key to a screwdriver. I had a car like that. It wasn't worth stealing, so I never worried about changing it. :D
Dusty

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #17  
GaryS said:
One morning before the coffee kicked in, I noticed something looked odd with my dashboard. I had used the barn keys to start tractor. It's just a simple, small Master lock on the barn. I was really surprised that it worked!

LOL!!! That is CLASSIC! :D

Dealer warned me about this when I bought mine. Considering the resale value and lack of "real" vehicle titles it is amazing there aren't more stolen.

Russell in Texas (with a lockable barn)

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #18  
I'm surprised too. Four wheelers get stolen like crazy around here, ATV's too. Never heard of a tractor being stolen though.

My property is pretty isolated and is right next to my B-I-l's ranch. The road we're on is about 6 miles long. We're right in the middle of it. On this road there is a small farmhouse at one end, his large farmhouse, a small shack next to his barn and another run down shanty at the far end. My cabin and one other cabin are off the road considerably, and both are weekend places. There has never been a robbery until last year when someone took all of his saddles out of his tack room at the barn (8 of them), a portable air compressor, a spray washer and a 4 wheeler on a trailer that belonged to someone else. Up until this, they had never locked the doors to the house or barn, never took the keys out of their cars.

My cabin is about a mile from his house and down in the woods. Most everything in it is hand-me-down and yard sale type stuff except for a newish microwave. So nothing much to steal. My shiny new tractor (still seems new to me after 15 months) just sits there with a tarp over it. I always put the key in the cabin, which apparently is meaningless since they could use any old key or hot wire it pretty easily. I leave it in gear and leave the PTO in the on position with the hopes of foiling the casual thief or potential joyrider/vandal. I don't really think anyone could drive it away since it is such a long drive to anywhere, but someone who knew about the tractor and how 'unguarded' it is could easily knock the gait down and go in there with a trailer or rollback and drive off. No one would ever see them. Not much I can do about it I guess. Homeowners covers theft and vandalism.

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #19  
The only time the key has been out of my BX was the day a big raven took them and tried to fly off with them.

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #20  
After reading this post, what I am going to do is try anyway I can to slow down any thief. In order to back a trailer down to where I keep the tractor and attachments, they have to back their trailer down a 9'wide 50' strip with a drop off one one side. they can't go down front way and turn around because there is no room. From now on I'll put the pto in gear, put the bucket with the tooth bar stuck in the ground, drop my attachment all the way and put an alarm siren that'll activate when it's turned on. Of course I'll have a shut off switch out of the way so I can turn it off before starting. Outside of installing a bomb, any other suggestions.

Harris