MY KEY IS YOUR KEY?

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #32  
I guess I have been around the Army too long, when I got an extra key for my tractor, and they just handed me one from behind the counter, I realized it may not be the most secure thing out there.....

So I have a short chain padlocked below my seat to the frame and I padlock it around a spoke in the steering wheel.

I believe that locks keep honest folks honest, but I do whatever is reasonable to keep a borderline guy on the right side of the fence.

While you could steal our tractor with a bit of patience, it makes the lazy man look for something easier. And I do not think many Theives are known as "real hard workers".

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #33  
Yep, my JD key will fit 1 cousin's 2 JD's, another cousin's 1 JD, and an Uncle's JD. The tractors are: 2 1530's, 2 2240's, and a 2350.

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #34  
AlanB said:
And I do not think many Theives are known as "real hard workers".

And the one's that are real hard workers are probably unstoppable anyway.

There was a big Kershaw r-o-w cutter on my place a month or so ago, one of these jobs with a long fiberglass boom and a round saw blade on the end. When the crew left it for the weekend they spray painted a line on the tire down to the ground as well as a line on the top of the tire up onto the frame. This obviously doesn't deter theft, I guess they were just preventing joy riding. Of course the thought crossed my mind that I sure could get a lot done with that thing over the weekend, if it hadn't been for that spray paint, who knows what I could have accomplished! I suspect some of it would have ended up on the local news.....:eek:

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY?
I thought about installing one of those battery shutoffs on my bx.Isaw them on the cover of Harbor FREIght recently for a couple bucks.I have used them before on my tandom deep cell 12 volt battery bank at camp,they work well.This might keep the tractor from discharging over any long storage etc
ALAN

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #36  
I never take my key out of the ignition but I also keep my tractor in the garage when I am not using it. I think most people keep the tractors inside out of the weather and out of sight. Animals will always let you know if something is a miss

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #37  
I still have a Cat key and a Case key from when I had dozers from them. They are just tossed in the toolbox in the back of my truck. When I went to meet a guy who was going to do some dozer work at my property he was cussing that he'd made the 30 minute drive and forgot his key. Yup, you guessed, my spare Cat key from my old 955 fit his new D6 just fine. :)

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #38  
Going back 5 or so years ago, 1 ford key would start my tarus, my f350 & my buddies f250.

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #39  
AlanB said:
I guess I have been around the Army too long, when I got an extra key for my tractor, and they just handed me one from behind the counter, I realized it may not be the most secure thing out there.....

So I have a short chain padlocked below my seat to the frame and I padlock it around a spoke in the steering wheel.

All Military equipment that I ever spent time on in the Army did not use any type of ignition key. Most military vehicles have a chain / padlock system to the floor since they use no ignition key. HUMMV's don't use keys, but the old Chevy Blazers CUCV do. My M1 Abrams had no ignition key, just switches and buttons :D

/ MY KEY IS YOUR KEY? #40  
Hilti now sells electric tools that will not operate unless you are in poccession of a small device you can attach to a key ring. It is required for the tool to run. You apprently will destroy the tool trying to defeat the mechanism and replacement parts require a serial number which is part of the theft deterent system they have implemented. I'm sure there are work arounds, but it is a start especially since I have lost two Hilti drills.