My no split log splitter!

/ My no split log splitter! #21  
A large reservoir works well to dissipate heat and reduce foaming, but for a filled system, the reservoir only needs to be slightly larger than the displacement of any cylinder rods.

/ My no split log splitter!
I would estimate the Tank at 5 1/2 gal. plenty of Iron / surface area for cooling.
Yes I am told that you should match the pump volume to the tank, however
I look at all the commercial made units and they aren't even close to that,
after all this is a home owner splitter. With the luck I have had with the rest of the componets this unit came with, I will speculate that I am either starving the pump with a plugged suction screen or the piston is leaking by. I will use AKKAMAAN advice and see if I
can detect some blow by on the piston.

Stay tuned for further details, although, I am getting a bit bored washing my hands in
Hydro fluid!!!

FYI Cyl is a 4 inch. It looks like it was off of an old Dozer of some sort.

/ My no split log splitter! #23  
Every hydraulic system/pump should have 2 mandatory gauges.
One low pressure/vacuum gauge on pump inlet to monitor inlet pressure.
And one high pressure gauge on pump outlet, to monitor pump outlet pressure.

You can hook up ten suction strainers on suction line, as long as suction pressure do not drop more than a few psi below atmospheric pressure. That inlet suction pressure dictates if pump is getting starved or not, and if air is getting sucked in or not. By sizing/designing correctly one can prevent/eliminate inlet pressure drop, and system will work great.

A suction strainer prevents debris that enter the fill cap, from entering pump. All other contaminates/debris, that comes back from the system, will be taken care of by the return filter. Thats why a fill cap strainer will do the same job as a suction strainer. Inside the reservoir, should always be considered the cleanest part of the system. I actually advocate for "pressure refill" through a return filter, but that is not with in a budget of low cost equipment like a log splitter etc, so "pour refill" through a fill cap strainer is the second best alternative....

I LIKE YOUR RECOMENDATION OF USING A VACUME GAUGE, The better more expensive suction filters come with them,, most come with the threaded port so adding one is easy. Iam deffinitly PRO,... Strain the oil,... before you F UP a 2,3or $400.00. pump,.. Most people dont seam to consider the fact that there is a real good chance of weld bbs, and other forigen material being sucked in to the pump, especially the home/shop built tanks. Truth of the matter is,. I dont care who built the tank,...You cant clean a tank inside good enough to ever say I dont need to bother with screening , cuz, weld bbs and scale will come lose in time, Not to mention, the possibility of stuff being introduced ,when filling/adding oil, OK,,Rant over,....Eric

/ My no split log splitter! #24  
I would estimate the Tank at 5 1/2 gal. plenty of Iron / surface area for cooling.
Yes I am told that you should match the pump volume to the tank, however
I look at all the commercial made units and they aren't even close to that,
after all this is a home owner splitter. With the luck I have had with the rest of the componets this unit came with, I will speculate that I am either starving the pump with a plugged suction screen or the piston is leaking by. I will use AKKAMAAN advice and see if I
can detect some blow by on the piston.

Stay tuned for further details, although, I am getting a bit bored washing my hands in
Hydro fluid!!!

FYI Cyl is a 4 inch. It looks like it was off of an old Dozer of some sort.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before, the pump is a two stage pump, if there was a piece of funk in the staging valve, it would act like this also. You should hear the pump "shift gears" when it contacts the log, I think low pressure is only about 750 psi. When you get that pressure gauge installed, all will become clearer. Don't forget a "snubber" to protect the gauge.

/ My no split log splitter! #25  
A large reservoir works well to dissipate heat and reduce foaming, but for a filled system, the reservoir only needs to be slightly larger than the displacement of any cylinder rods.
ridiculous

/ My no split log splitter! #26  
hydro tek when forming an argument you should never use subjective terms like slightly

/ My no split log splitter! #27  
I agree the symptoms indicate that the cylinder is starving for oil the reason it works on the return is because of the rod volume compensating for the small volume of oil just my opinion

Please, O guru of hydraulics ..enlighten me with your wisdom. What size must the reservoir be?

sizzami said:
hydro tek when forming an argument you should never use subjective terms like slightly

Oh yeah ..and feel free to correct my grammar all you want :licking:

Last edited:
   / My no split log splitter!
Here is an update for all you speculators. Installed the gauge when I got home from work today. Extended the Ram into the piece of wood untill it stopped, reading on the Gauge 500 lbs. NOT a whole lot. So I pulled the piece of wood off the splitter and extended the Ram to it's Max. Guess what? Holding the valve open with the Ram extended to its max gave me 2300 lbs. on the gauge! I am willing to bet that at full extention the ram is covering up the other port on the cyl, there by giving me the higher reading on the gauge. Or, in other words, the stupid piston is leaking by!!! I haven't tried the suggestion of removing the rod side hose and extending the piston into the log and looking for fluid coming from that port. I will give that a try tomorrow to confirm. I so did not want to have to retrofit a replacement cyl to this unit, but I may have to after all.

Phil C.

/ My no split log splitter! #29  
Here is an update for all you speculators. Installed the gauge when I got home from work today. Extended the Ram into the piece of wood untill it stopped, reading on the Gauge 500 lbs. NOT a whole lot. So I pulled the piece of wood off the splitter and extended the Ram to it's Max. Guess what? Holding the valve open with the Ram extended to its max gave me 2300 lbs. on the gauge! I am willing to bet that at full extention the ram is covering up the other port on the cyl, there by giving me the higher reading on the gauge. Or, in other words, the stupid piston is leaking by!!! I haven't tried the suggestion of removing the rod side hose and extending the piston into the log and looking for fluid coming from that port. I will give that a try tomorrow to confirm. I so did not want to have to retrofit a replacement cyl to this unit, but I may have to after all.

Phil C.

The piston could certainly cover the port hole on its front, flat side. Another possibility is that cylinder might be "ballooning" at mid stroke, when piston stalls . I know this can cause cylinder drift, seal by pass, at high pressure. Have never heard it happen on a log splitter before. Ballooning means the bore diameter increases from pressure, and make seal leak....I kinda still cant believe it but is a possibility.

It is recommended to pressure test piston seal at mid stroke for that reason.

/ My no split log splitter! #30  
Maybe just tear it down and lets see what is wrong on the inside ..no amount of testing at this point is gonna fix the cylinder.