My no split log splitter!

/ My no split log splitter! #31  
AAKAMAAN.. you get a lot of ballooning in these cylinders, if you have a 24 inch stroke and split 18 inch wood it happens about 10 to 12 inches from base end, just where the most pressure is required ... smack dab in the middle... will take pics of one on our small splitter that has the paint cracked right at that point. Jim

/ My no split log splitter!
So, any body know how to get this cylinder to come apart? I can't find any place you
could place a spanner wrench or anything for that matter. I am thinking this thing maybe
a bit on the old and out of date side. Maybe time for a replacement is what I am saying.

Phil C.

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 169
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 124
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 138
   / My no split log splitter! #33  
I don't know much about hydraulics, but doesn't it look like the endcap of the cylinder is just crimped in? It does not look like it comes apart to me, except with a nice band saw or something.

James K0UA

/ My no split log splitter! #34  
Phil,

Take out the fitting (it's keeping the gland from sucking back in).....then use a chunk of alum or brass to whack the gland back in.....that may expose a hidden retainer ring...:).............or the gland was installed from the back side and the base plate (back side) was welded together afterwards......:mad:

It does look like an odd ball.........:confused2:

/ My no split log splitter! #35  
I t looks like the the end is crimped like the disposable air cylinders we get at work.
With that in mind are you sure its a hydraulic cylinder?

/ My no split log splitter! #36  
Definitely looks like a throw away cylinder type, it maybe not designed for modern hydraulic pressures anyway. I suggest replacing with a new cylinder, try to get one with a 2 inch rod.

Decided not to torture myself any more. I am done with troubleshooting at this point and have ordered up a new replacement 4X24 2" rod piston. Found one for $149 + shipping at Agri supply. Why not, at that point I will have a new splitter as far as Hydraulic components are concerned. In the future I am going to think twice before taking on someone else's already started project. I should of started this one from scratch. Live and learn.

anyone interested in a used pump and valve? ( condition unknown)

Phil C.

/ My no split log splitter! #38  
Wont the size of the ram-v-bore have something to do with force and speed on stroke? If the ram is too small will it work properly even if you have proper psi?

/ My no split log splitter! #39  
Decided not to torture myself any more. I am done with troubleshooting at this point and have ordered up a new replacement 4X24 2" rod piston. Found one for $149 + shipping at Agri supply. Why not, at that point I will have a new splitter as far as Hydraulic components are concerned. In the future I am going to think twice before taking on someone else's already started project. I should of started this one from scratch. Live and learn.

anyone interested in a used pump and valve? ( condition unknown)

Phil C.

Good decision....:thumbsup:

The ram shaft is on the return stroke side, and will not effect pushing force which is what you are looking for in a splitter. A larger shaft will result in a faster return of the ram as there is less volume for the pump to fill in the cyl. Most splitters run 4" pistons. The more expensive / heavy duty ones will run 5" pistons. More surface area, (pi r squared) = more force.