My no split log splitter!

/ My no split log splitter! #41  
AKAAMAAN .. here is a pic of cylinder ballooning, notice the cracked paint, this one is still working good so we have not had to repair it, this splitter is the first one of this style we built back in 2000, have build 15 of these for others with a few modifications. this unit has just shy of 646 hrs on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 283
   / My no split log splitter! #43  
AKAAMAAN .. here is a pic of cylinder ballooning, notice the cracked paint, this one is still working good so we have not had to repair it, this splitter is the first one of this style we built back in 2000, have build 15 of these for others with a few modifications. this unit has just shy of 646 hrs on it.

Great picture Jim!!:thumbsup:
Hope you do not mind if we can go green and "reuse" that picture.:D

/ My no split log splitter! #44  
be my guest AKAAMAAN and use it all you want, i never liked the trunnion type either for that reason.

/ My no split log splitter! #45  
Decided not to torture myself any more. I am done with troubleshooting at this point and have ordered up a new replacement 4X24 2" rod piston. Found one for $149 + shipping at Agri supply. Why not, at that point I will have a new splitter as far as Hydraulic components are concerned. In the future I am going to think twice before taking on someone else's already started project. I should of started this one from scratch. Live and learn.

anyone interested in a used pump and valve? ( condition unknown)

Phil C.

Sure would be nice to see the inside of your cylinder ..ya know, for closure and such ..lol

/ My no split log splitter! #46  
The piston could certainly cover the port hole on its front, flat side. Another possibility is that cylinder might be "ballooning" at mid stroke, when piston stalls . I know this can cause cylinder drift, seal by pass, at high pressure. Have never heard it happen on a log splitter before. Ballooning means the bore diameter increases from pressure, and make seal leak....I kinda still cant believe it but is a possibility.

It is recommended to pressure test piston seal at mid stroke for that reason.

We used to remanufacture cylinders for a manufacturer of hydraulic shovels. These cylinders (if my memory serves me correct) were 10" bore with 8" rods. The cylinder tubes were 2" wall thickness. We would get these on occassion that were bulged. The cause was the highwall collapsing as the bucket was loading creating tremendous pressures. These were operating on 10,000 psi systems. Pretty impressive to see tubing that thick with a noticeable bulge.

Kim

/ My no split log splitter!
Sorry, but you will have to dumpster dive to check it out at this point. Done messing around.

Phil C.

/ My no split log splitter!
Finally some good news on this project! I replaced the cylinder fired it up and away it went! Splits like a dream! Two options I will have to look into are, a front kickstand, and
A slip on 4 way wedge. But that is for another time. FYI when I took the old cylinder off
The seals on the piston were so worn out, that the piston would slide forward if I tilted it.
What does that tell you!

Phil C.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 231