My tractor saga or education is expensive

/ My tractor saga or education is expensive #1  

check 6

Gold Member
Tractor
L 3560, 008-3 excavator ZD 1211 mower
Well over ten years ago I saw the need for a small tractor and bought a Kubota BX__ did most oil what I wanted as it was my first tractor but after a few years I felt I needed a backhoe so I traded for a BX25. Good little tractor but the backhoe has limitations for my uses. unless I was digging holes stationary any long dig required me to constantly move the tractor and re plant it to di al till further. I also wanted a little more capacity in lifting its so I traded for a B series and also realized that any digging would be cheaper renting a small excavator from my dealer. Wel again the B series did great but a friend insisted that a cabbed tractor would better in Texas. I again traded for a B series with a cab and at the right time as a neighbor had just had hip surgery and I need up mowing his five acres for six months. The cab kept the dust off but the little be with a cab was very top heavy and any area other than level was exciting to say the least ( light tractor, narrow wheelbase and solid cab = very tippy). Figuring I was getting older this year I trade it on a BX 2680, nice little tractor BUT I had gotten use to the three speed tranny and the precise ability to lower and return the PTO to the same level. Additionally I miss the increased lifting of the B series. Bottom line this week a new B2601 will be delivered. Why a 2601 over a 2650 the smaller size allows me to get into almost all the places I could with the BX but with more capability. Moral of the saga, while all our requirements change a little more study as to what we need now and in the near future will save changing. By the way no mower on either the BX I traded or the new B2601 as my ZD 1211 takes care of all the mowing chores with no issues. The "B" will have quick detachable FEL and pallet forks. I have little use for rear implements now so my trusty ballast box will be on the PTO. I have modified the box with two PVC pipes vertical in the concrete for storing shovels and rakes. Additionally I have a trailer hitch receptacle welded to the bottom. Yes education can be expensive .. do your homework.

/ My tractor saga or education is expensive #2  
I hope your dealer sent you a thank you card.

/ My tractor saga or education is expensive #3  
I hope your dealer sent you a thank you card.

I think that many trades in a short time is worth more than a card. That is 6 profit sales for the dealer. How about a free implement. That is unless the dealer was a nice guy and made those trades at cost. Ha! Ha!

Ron

/ My tractor saga or education is expensive
Let me tell you about the dealer. I have watched him now up as I was good friends with his parents ( and still with his Mom) He has grown the dealership from one to eight stores and is a Kubota elite dealer. He is a fellow pilot and just a great guy who gives fair deals to everyone .... in a small town if you don't you don't last long. His after the sale service is outstanding. Yes, he has made some money off me but as I said education is expensive.

/ My tractor saga or education is expensive #5  
I've been doing my homework/due diligence for the last 5+ years. I'm buying one tractor...my first and last at the same time.

/ My tractor saga or education is expensive #6  
I've been doing my homework/due diligence for the last 5+ years. I'm buying one tractor...my first and last at the same time.

I've done that myself. A few times:)

Finding the perfect tractor is a lot like finding the perfect carry pistol.

I've done that myself. A few times:)

Finding the perfect tractor is a lot like finding the perfect carry pistol.

Bingo

/ My tractor saga or education is expensive #8  
I am on my second tractor in two years. Went from a JD855 to the LS XR4140 HST Cab.

Your tale is useful for others. First, there is no perfect tractor unless you only do limited work. So look at your needs and rate their importance. Second, understand your wants and if they are affordable. Third, sometimes jobs are better done by a neighbor with the right machine, a rental, or a contractor.

In addition, you will almost certainly screw up your first tractor purchase so be prepared for that....but suffer for a while so you learn your lesson. Buy your next tractor after spending some time in purgatory.

Having a very good job and a very patient wife...or no wife, will make your education experience more bearable.

BTW, it would be interesting to know how many hours you put on each machine before you traded them.

First, I apologize the title was meant to read “ my tractor saga ......” not safe .
To answer shooterdon’s question I can’t’ remember the total hours on previous ones but they were normal for the years I owned them. On this latest BX I had 8.1 hours so I took only a small trade in hit and they, at no charge are transferring my work lights seat and down draft fan. The seat on the BX2680 is much better than the one on the B2601 . The downdraft fan mounts on the ROPS and not only cools but keeps the dust off me