My YM186d

/ My YM186d #11  
I have a 45 year old YM2310. Though I don't abuse the tractor I don't baby it either. I have a post hole digger and a Yanmar 5 foot wide rototiller. They both get used a lot. I love my tractor and I'm sure you will love yours too.
Eric

/ My YM186d
I have a 45 year old YM2310. Though I don't abuse the tractor I don't baby it either. I have a post hole digger and a Yanmar 5 foot wide rototiller. They both get used a lot. I love my tractor and I'm sure you will love yours too.
Eric
Cheers Eric I am enjoying it. It just seems hard to get hold of parts for these machines in the uk atleast no matter how much searching I do.

/ My YM186d
I couldnt remember which website i had started this thread on but i have now found it 🤣
Ive been doing little jobs here and there on the 186. I got the gearbox oil changed, i used mannol ATF Dexron 3 10L of it and i fitted a blue print filter. I took the washable filter out of the gearbox and it was very clean there was almost nothing on it. so i think someone has serviced the machine not long ago, the oil looked very good also.

I have also gone over the machine looking for any missing fixings, rubber bungs ect and replacing all of those to help with any little rattles and stuff.

I am still really struggling to get parts for this machine. I really want to get the 4wd working on it, but cant get a driveshaft anywhere.
I have removed the 4wd lever and the shaft it turns as my machine was seized in 4wd.
I then removed cover where the drive shaft would fit onto the gearbox end and freeded up the selector.
I now need to try and find a picture of the part which has broken off my selector shaft so i can either copy it or find a replacment which i doubt i will get unfortunetely. From looking at the parts manual this is part number 6 in the picture.

I also mananged to pick up an old Yanmar plastic tool box and it came with a few spanners which i am not sure if they would have been supplied with the tractor or not but it will be handy to store the odd tool or pins in.

Ive added a few pictures showing:
the shaft i need.
a few loads on the little trailer ive got
The oil leaks on the front axle where i need to get seals for.

Attachments

• 20240223_155812.jpg
    20240223_155812.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240127_123548.jpg
    20240127_123548.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20240212_124403_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_124403_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240306_172044.jpg
    20240306_172044.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240306_172021.jpg
    20240306_172021.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • 4wd parts.png
    4wd parts.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG004.JPG
    IMG004.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240308_164227.jpg
    20240308_164227.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240308_164148.jpg
    20240308_164148.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240308_163643.jpg
    20240308_163643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
   / My YM186d
it wouldnt let me add these pics on the last post. I found a radiator screen on the tract parts site and also a new gasket for the exhaust and i rotated it to point up instead of infront of the tractor.
If anyone had any ideas on the parts i need it would be helpful. or if anyone knows of a way to order Yanmar parts direct from Japan?

Attachments

• 20240227_181510.jpg
    20240227_181510.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240220_142137.jpg
    20240220_142137.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
   / My YM186d #15  
I couldnt remember which website i had started this thread on but i have now found it 🤣
Ive been doing little jobs here and there on the 186. I got the gearbox oil changed, i used mannol ATF Dexron 3 10L of it and i fitted a blue print filter. I took the washable filter out of the gearbox and it was very clean there was almost nothing on it. so i think someone has serviced the machine not long ago, the oil looked very good also.

I have also gone over the machine looking for any missing fixings, rubber bungs ect and replacing all of those to help with any little rattles and stuff.

I am still really struggling to get parts for this machine. I really want to get the 4wd working on it, but cant get a driveshaft anywhere.
I have removed the 4wd lever and the shaft it turns as my machine was seized in 4wd.
I then removed cover where the drive shaft would fit onto the gearbox end and freeded up the selector.
I now need to try and find a picture of the part which has broken off my selector shaft so i can either copy it or find a replacment which i doubt i will get unfortunetely. From looking at the parts manual this is part number 6 in the picture.

I also mananged to pick up an old Yanmar plastic tool box and it came with a few spanners which i am not sure if they would have been supplied with the tractor or not but it will be handy to store the odd tool or pins in.

the shaft i need.
Don't know whether you have tried here or not. https://www.peri-parts.com/194301-22830-yanmar-original-shaft-lever-930.html

May not be seeing correctly but looks like your front wheels are in the wide position. If so, that is not recommended as it puts more stress on your knuckles. Might get by with it without a loader though.

/ My YM186d #16  

the shaft i need.
I'd bet a good machine shop could repair the 4wd shift lever, were you able to recover the broken piece.

/ My YM186d #17  
I'd bet a good machine shop could repair the 4wd shift lever, were you able to recover the broken piece.
I agree. It would be a pretty quick welding job for any of @beankp60's local metal fabricators. My question would be why did it break in the place?

@beankp60 Have you tried any of your local welders or metal fabricators to see if they could fabricate your driveshaft for you? There are places that specialize in drive shafts and would be able to make one as well. (I'm guessing that you live in a pretty good area for fabricators.)

All the best,

Peter

/ My YM186d
The snapped off piece must have just fell out otherwise i would weld it back on myself.

/ My YM186d
I agree. It would be a pretty quick welding job for any of @beankp60's local metal fabricators. My question would be why did it break in the place?

@beankp60 Have you tried any of your local welders or metal fabricators to see if they could fabricate your driveshaft for you? There are places that specialize in drive shafts and would be able to make one as well. (I'm guessing that you live in a pretty good area for fabricators.)

All the best,

Peter
I have been told that the spline couplings are uncommon sizes and hard to source. But getting one fabbed up is looking like my only option currently. I know a guy who could do it but it would mean leaving the tractor with him for months as he takes so long to get round to getting things done.

If i could find the couplings i would have a go at fabricating one myself. But i have no idea how i would match the couplings up which i need.

The original piece broke as it was seized in 4wd and someone has forced the lever to try and select 2wd. It isn't a very strong design

Last edited:
   / My YM186d
Don't know whether you have tried here or not. https://www.peri-parts.com/194301-22830-yanmar-original-shaft-lever-930.html

May not be seeing correctly but looks like your front wheels are in the wide position. If so, that is not recommended as it puts more stress on your knuckles. Might get by with it without a loader though.
I had seen that site but i wasnt sure it was genuine and it seems to show every part as available but with no pictures or details for any of them which i have came across this situation for my old jap cars ive got. I will give them a go though and see if i get anything back.
Cheers