My YM186d

/ My YM186d #21  
I have been told that the spline couplings are uncommon sizes and hard to source. But getting one fabbed up is looking like my only option currently. I know a guy who could do it but it would mean leaving the tractor with him for months as he takes so long to get round to getting things done.

If i could find the couplings i would have a go at fabricating one myself. But i have no idea how i would match the couplings up which i need.

The original piece broke as it was seized in 4wd and someone has forced the lever to try and select 2wd. It isn't a very strong design
Hoye lists that shift fork lever at $35.00, Yanmar Part No. 194305-22830 as "used shift fork lever". Their item no. is 409714.

/ My YM186d
Hoye lists that shift fork lever at $35.00, Yanmar Part No. 194305-22830 as "used shift fork lever". Their item no. is 409714.
Thanks yeah i have looked on their site but it says it is not available online. ive tried to contact them before about the drive shaft but they dont reply to me. Maybe because i am in the UK.
If i could find a picture of the part it would help me repair what i have.

/ My YM186d #23  
Thanks yeah i have looked on their site but it says it is not available online. ive tried to contact them before about the drive shaft but they dont reply to me. Maybe because i am in the UK.
If i could find a picture of the part it would help me repair what i have.
You should be able to measure the diameter of the small rod that broke off and weld a 1 1/2" long piece of hard rod onto it. Then keep gradually making it shorter until if fits perfectly.

Attachments

• Shift fork -YM186D.jpg
    Shift fork -YM186D.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 29
   / My YM186d
You should be able to measure the diameter of the small rod that broke off and weld a 1 1/2" long piece of hard rod onto it. Then keep gradually making it shorter until if fits perfectly.
Yeah i think thats the plan. Then i just need to try get a driveshaft.

/ My YM186d #25  
Item-6 sure looks like a clevis pin. If you could take some measurements on what space it fits into, you could order one and then if needed turn it down to size.

Order from McMaster-Carr their customized pins like it or something close enough.

McMaster-Carr

1710009510810.png

These standard types are at a great price too,
1710009665570.png

1710009754249.png

/ My YM186d #26  
Yeah i think thats the plan. Then i just need to try get a driveshaft.
What is exactly broken on the drive shaft that can't be repaired. Is it the joints or the spindle get damaged beyond repair. A machine shop could make another worst case? I'd check into that.

/ My YM186d #27  
Item-6 sure looks like a clevis pin. If you could take some measurements on what space it fits into, you could order one and then if needed turn it down to size.

Order from McMaster-Carr their customized pins like it or something close enough.

McMaster-Carr

View attachment 856526

These standard types are at a great price too,
View attachment 856528
View attachment 856529
Yes, it is exactly like a clevis pin. But it has a short length of hardened rod welded to the end that extends over into the slot on the shift block.
It was the rod that broke off.

/ My YM186d #28  
Yes, it is exactly like a clevis pin. But it has a short length of hardened rod welded to the end that extends over into the slot on the shift block.
It was the rod that broke off.
I do not know the size of these parts.

With the clevis pins, some have a threaded base at the bottom. A person can then screw on a rod to the base. From there you would have a working part for your machine. McMaster-Carr has parts like that in the links too. Maybe some options to try.

/ My YM186d #29  
I've noticed the broken shaft stub and the one noted as #6 in the pic don't really match up with the trip pin facing 2 different directions.

/ My YM186d #30  
I have been told that the spline couplings are uncommon sizes and hard to source. But getting one fabbed up is looking like my only option currently. I know a guy who could do it but it would mean leaving the tractor with him for months as he takes so long to get round to getting things done.

If i could find the couplings i would have a go at fabricating one myself. But i have no idea how i would match the couplings up which i need.

The original piece broke as it was seized in 4wd and someone has forced the lever to try and select 2wd. It isn't a very strong design
I would keep trying at Hoye, though suppliers in Europe may be cheaper. There are a variety of splines on driveshafts, and yes, there are some that are more common in Japan than elsewhere, but they aren't unobtainable, at least in my experience. I would start with the number of splines, diameter, and work from there. Once you have the ends, the drive shaft is pretty straightforward. Again, I suspect that you have more than a few quasi local fabricators that could do the work. I've been impressed at some of the work coming out of Yorkshire and Cumbrian fabricators.

All the best,

Peter