My YM186d

/ My YM186d
I would keep trying at Hoye, though suppliers in Europe may be cheaper. There are a variety of splines on driveshafts, and yes, there are some that are more common in Japan than elsewhere, but they aren't unobtainable, at least in my experience. I would start with the number of splines, diameter, and work from there. Once you have the ends, the drive shaft is pretty straightforward. Again, I suspect that you have more than a few quasi local fabricators that could do the work. I've been impressed at some of the work coming out of Yorkshire and Cumbrian fabricators.

All the best,

Peter
Hi Peter which cumbrian fabricators are you refering to as thats where im at.

/ My YM186d #32  
Hi Peter which cumbrian fabricators are you refering to as thats where im at.
I would have to dredge back through some old threads. My primary person I was thinking of seems to have retired. Let me do some poking around to see if I can find some others. But in the interim, Cumbria/N. Yorkshire has lots to choose from. Please be mindful that I haven't used any of them.

If you run out of luck, I hear these folks supply all manner of drive shafts and may be able to put one together.

I would be tempted to talk to custom car fabricators, and naval repair folks, and those making repair to trucks once you have the spline size/number of teeth.

All the best,

Peter

/ My YM186d
I would have to dredge back through some old threads. My primary person I was thinking of seems to have retired. Let me do some poking around to see if I can find some others. But in the interim, Cumbria/N. Yorkshire has lots to choose from. Please be mindful that I haven't used any of them.

If you run out of luck, I hear these folks supply all manner of drive shafts and may be able to put one together.

I would be tempted to talk to custom car fabricators, and naval repair folks, and those making repair to trucks once you have the spline size/number of teeth.

All the best,

Peter
J&R replied this morning with only "we cant help you"

Ive messaged a heap of drive shaft and prop shaft manufacturing places and tried Hoye tractors again, the place which has replaced them just said i need to contact Hoye.

Last edited:
   / My YM186d #34  
You should be able to measure the diameter of the small rod that broke off and weld a 1 1/2" long piece of hard rod onto it. Then keep gradually making it shorter until if fits perfectly.
What is it that makes the shifting so stiff? Even with the front axle jacked up, tires not touching anything, shifting that (on YM186D) feels so stiff that there is risk of breaking that pin.

Is there any way to lube that without major disassembly?

/ My YM186d #35  
And related... It might as well go in this thread for someone to find in the future:

10 years ago on a prior YM186D I replace the u-joint at the front of the propeller shaft. I learned that is a rare u-joint, difficult to find. But it had one application, that led to various suppliers.

Here's my notes I wrote at the time:

These ATV U-JOINTS WILL FIT THE FOLLOWING​
HONDA ATV models:​
1985 ODYSSEY (FL350) REAR SHAFT​
Part # ATV300​
* These may fit other Arctic Cat models.​
And that guy wanted $249 for it.​
===========================​
Or see on Ebay under $50.​
American CV​
1985 ODYSSEY (FL350) Rear Axle Shafts Standard U-Joint​
Price: $29.95​
===========================​
And someone posted in a Honda forum that Honda used that u-joint for only a year or two because it was used at such an extreme angle that it was a frequent warranty repair. No other known applications. [to those Honda enthusiasts].​
++++++++++++++++++
EDIT, UPDATE, 2024.
Looking on eBay today I see this U-joint is now also listed as:
Universal Joint-U-Joint GMB 220-0045 fits 74-78 Nissan B210, $18. [so it should be widely available].
Then the application notes say the original driveline used non-replaceable staked u-joints.
Also some of the more expensive listings include spacers and clips, while one commenter said he had to find suitable clips elsewhere. (For his Honda application?)

YMMV. The kit for Honda that I bought, fit perfectly. As I recall, I re-used the original clips.

Last edited:
   / My YM186d #36  
@beankp60 Any luck?

These folks do lots of custom driveshafts in the US, and not just for off-road;

All the best,

Peter

/ My YM186d #37  
@beankp60 Any luck?

These folks do lots of custom driveshafts in the US, and not just for off-road;

All the best,

Peter
Peter, a really nice find. (y)

1711304385965.png

1711304451772.png

FYI, use their measurement page to determine how to specify what lengths you will need with the interfaces!!!
(y)

/ My YM186d #38  
Peter, a really nice find. (y)

View attachment 858837

View attachment 858838

FYI, use their measurement page to determine how to specify what lengths you will need with the interfaces!!!
(y)

Thanks, and I hope it is useful to others. To be clear, I only know them through others who have bought unique driveshafts from them, and all of them rave about them.

All the best,

Peter

/ My YM186d
That looks a great site post above i will have to check it out.

For a bit of an update. after all the places i emailed i think 2 of them replied to say they couldnt do it.
But i found a guy on facebook selling a ym186 engine and parts. i messaged him saying i would buy everything off him but he was extremely hard to deal with. in the end he said he would just sell me the front axle with the driveshaft but then he became very awkward so i never managed to buy them from him. i left it a few weeks and messaged him on my girlfriends facebook profile and it wasnt easy and took a while but the front axle and drive shaft have shipped and i should be receiving them on Tuesday!

Also i was gardening around where i left the tractor when i first bought it and i found what looked like it could be the snapped off part of the shaft which engages and disengages the 4wd! I cleaned it up and while i had the welder out i put some tacks on it, refitted it to the tractor and my machine is now selecting 4wd and 2wd easily! I can see the end of the output shaft turning when in 4wd and not turning when in 2wd. So when this shaft turns up next week, so long as it is in decent condition it should just be a case of fitting it and then my machine will be sorted.

I will get some pics when the parts turn up. Fingers crossed ive got this issue sorted! If in the future anyone ever gets a batch of shafts made up i would still likely order one as a spare just incase.

I almost forgot, i got in touch with a local guy who has a ym186d but he used to have 3 of them many years ago and he bought up a dealers stock when they stopped working on the ym186d's which the council owned and he kept them going and did the maintenance on them. I have bought all these genuine Yanmar parts all new old stock in the bags. it should help keep mine going for a while yet.

Last edited:
   / My YM186d #40  
Congratulations, and thanks for the update.

Best of luck,

Peter