Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I just got my 2013 Ram 1500 back from the shop 5.7 Hemi. Symptoms were ticking, lack of power, and check engine light. After a week in the shop they finally located a burned valve. The shop had the heads sent off to a local machine shop who repaired the burned valve, not sure the details. I'm sure they replaced the valve and seat, not sure what else. Put everything back together and it ran fine under light load but CEL would come back on under heavy load. Timing was found to be advancing too far. Timing set removed and the phaser for the VVT adjustment was found to be broken. That was replaced as well as the water pump and all timing components. Same issue. Heads come off again, damaged lifter found and it had damaged a cam lobe. Re-assembled and 3 oil changes, declared fixed, and it's running like new and sounds fine. Repairs ended up taking about 2 months.

Here is the dilemma. I drive a beater car for fuel economy most of the time. The truck usually sits until I need it for truck stuff, however I try to run out a tank in the truck about every 4-5 in the car so it's getting some use. When I do use the truck, lots of times I'm pulling a trailer or otherwise have it loaded. Back in the day I had a 3/4 ton and I liked it a lot for doing truck stuff. Full size bed, and also a full size 4d cab for when I also needed to haul more than 2 people any distance. It pulled trailers better, blah blah. You that have or had them understand the difference.

I had planned on just keeping the current truck until the end of time. But with the engine history, I assume a motor replacement is in it's future and I don't really think it would be worth the cost. I'm tossing around the idea of selling it and buying a newer 3/4 or 1 ton. Not that I need it and for sure don't need a dually... But I like the idea that if I'm going to be keeping a truck around for a long time for mostly just truck stuff, that it easily be able to do anything I would need to do with it for the foreseeable future.

But holy crap are they expensive! Then there's the diesel vs gas debate and which manufacturer has time bomb motors or transmissions in what year... Ugh. I'm not sure if I need advise or just someone to pat me on the head and tell me it will all be fine....

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #2  
It will be OK to get rid of it and get a new (er) truck. 👌 I keep trucks about 10 years or so. After that they tend to start nickel and diming you to death, even without major repairs. I splurged for my 2024 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW as a retirement present to myself, with my wife's permission. Traded in my 08 GMC 2500HD on it. She wants me to be safe towing the tractors. And you can't take it with you, I never saw a hearse in a funeral procession with a U-Haul.

20230928_085924.jpg

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #4  
The Ford F250 with a 6.2 V8 gasser is one heck of a truck that will go hundreds of thousands of miles no problem. That engine will go down as being legendary...

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #5  
I’ve owned 3/4 ton trucks in the past. I liked them but the truth is I don’t ever think I used them in a way a 1/2 ton wouldn’t have been fine. Reasons for a 3/4 ton in my mind is towing heavy and carrying a heavy load. My F150 has a payload of 1960 pounds and is rated to tow about 9500 pounds. That’s more than enough for me. If you do look at new 1/2 tons keep and eye on the payload sticker and make sure it meets your needs.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #6  
^ excellent advice, the rated payload of many new 1/2 ton trucks is pretty sad. A ram, or tarted up F150 will often come in ~1200-1400 lbs of total payload. Consider the weight of yourself and passengers, some gear in the cab, a few things in the bed, and what do you have left for trailer tongue weight? Hardly anything. A lot of F150s are rated to tow 12000+ lbs on paper, but can't come anywhere near that in the real world due to pathetic payload ratings.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #8  
I might have missed it, but I didn't see where you mentioned how many miles are on the truck and what kind of shape it's in (rust, dents, interior, etc.).

You can put a lot of repairs, even new engines, in that truck for the price of a new one. I would hold on to it, but hey, that's me, Mr. Vegas.

On the other hand, if it's beat-up and you really don't like it that much, then what the heck, might be better to go for a new one now, before they start putting turbo 3-cylinders in all of them.....

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?
It's in so-so shape. Needs a tailgate and has several dents. But the paint is still good, except for the tailgate, no rust to speak of. 130k miles.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #10  
Since you don't use the truck as a daily driver, and do tow I'd recommend going to a 1-ton. There is hardly any difference in price between a 3/4 and 1 ton but the extra capacity can come in handy. You'll not notice any difference in ride.

I own both an F150 and a Dodge 3500. The F150 has a powerful engine and can tow a lot of weight...but there is more to towing than the power to pull the load. With its soft suspension and 12,000 lb behind it the F150 doesn't feel as planted and in control as the 3500 pulling the same trailer weight.

An F350 with the 6.2 or a GM 3500 with the 6.0 should do much better, be a lot more reliable, than the Ram with the engine problems. Got a good friend with a 2021 Ram 1500 and has had major engine work done twice in 15,000 miles.