Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #11  
As I was reading your description, I started thinking that I heard the new roller lifters can have problems. I'm surprised the shop didn't replace all the lifters the first time.

130K? You likely have quite a few more good miles with that pickup.

What are you hauling? Towing? I've been mighty impressed with the half ton pickups. Yes, I miss the 8 foot beds, but I do like the large cabs. I'm still using the 2013 3.6L RAM, and I work it hard. I do wish it had stiffer rear springs, but I think some of the newer half tons are fixing the weak spring problems.

I'm not sure I'd go with the 2.8 to 3.2L diesel engines. At one time I thought that the 5.0L Cummins in the Titan would be a good compromise, but it doesn't get quite as good of mileage as I'd like.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?
As I was reading your description, I started thinking that I heard the new roller lifters can have problems. I'm surprised the shop didn't replace all the lifters the first time.

130K? You likely have quite a few more good miles with that pickup.

What are you hauling? Towing? I've been mighty impressed with the half ton pickups. Yes, I miss the 8 foot beds, but I do like the large cabs. I'm still using the 2013 3.6L RAM, and I work it hard. I do wish it had stiffer rear springs, but I think some of the newer half tons are fixing the weak spring problems.

I'm not sure I'd go with the 2.8 to 3.2L diesel engines. At one time I thought that the 5.0L Cummins in the Titan would be a good compromise, but it doesn't get quite as good of mileage as I'd like.

They actually didn't charge me for the lifter since they missed it on the first couple rounds. It still cost me a little over $3,000 though by the time it was all over and done.

The 130,000 miles doesn't concern me, it's the 40% of the cam lobe that was ground into dust and floating around in the oil that bothers me. The filter could have caught enough of it that it's not an issue, but who knows?

As far as hauling and towing, it's usually not that much weight normally. The heaviest thing is usually my little tractor or side by side on a 22' equipment trailer. The current truck has plenty of power. My sister and brother-in-law have a "farm", just a big chunk of land used for recreation. They have quite a few pcs of equipment and I would like to be able to haul some of it for them if needed also. Although some of it is probably still too big for a 1 ton. Big backhoe and the P37 dozer...

Going to the heavier truck is more of a want than a need. If I'm replacing my current truck, I just want the heavier duty truck. I've had one in the past and it always did the things I'm currently doing a little easier. Brakes are a huge difference, I could stop a heavier trailer with no brakes with the F-250 easier than a lighter load with trailer brakes with the 1500 it seems like.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #15  
In general FCA gas engines seem to have above normal issues. I wonder if it has to do with their lack of QC?

if I was to ever buy a new truck (which I'm not), I'd lean towards a Chevy product over an FCA product. Even Fords seem to have better QC.

Having dealt directly with FCA in my before retirement job, I can say without prejudice that FCA has poor QC and puts profit ahead of everything else. That don't include their cummins powered trucks, just the conventional gas engines and transmissions.

Been said before that the Lord invented FCA trucks to keep the fools out of Chevrolet and Ford trucks and I tend to agree with that old, worn out line as well.

Don't take it personal. Not everyone wants to drop money in the FCA engine bucket, I know I don't. :rolleyes:

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #16  
It's in so-so shape. Needs a tailgate and has several dents. But the paint is still good, except for the tailgate, no rust to speak of. 130k miles.
Given the fact that you just put some money into the engine, and the body is solid if it were me I'd keep it, especially since you only use it when you need a truck. A 13 year old truck with 130k is just getting broken in, the dents just add character.
Then again, if you've just gotten new(er) truck fever I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling it. Lots of demand for older trucks that aren't rustbuckets, especially with the price of new/late model used ones.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #17  
Having dealt directly with FCA in my before retirement job, I can say without prejudice that FCA has poor QC and puts profit ahead of everything else. That don't include their cummins powered trucks, just the conventional gas engines and transmissions.

Been said before that the Lord invented FCA trucks to keep the fools out of Chevrolet and Ford trucks and I tend to agree with that old, worn out line as well.

Don't take it personal. Not everyone wants to drop money in the FCA engine bucket, I know I don't. :rolleyes:
No experience with Fiat Mopars, but my pre-Daimler Dakota has been a great truck.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #18  
As far as hauling and towing, it's usually not that much weight normally. The heaviest thing is usually my little tractor or side by side on a 22' equipment trailer. The current truck has plenty of power. My sister and brother-in-law have a "farm", just a big chunk of land used for recreation. They have quite a few pcs of equipment and I would like to be able to haul some of it for them if needed also. Although some of it is probably still too big for a 1 ton. Big backhoe and the P37 dozer...

Dozers get heavy quickly. The little Komatsu is rated at about 20,500 lbs. You probably can't legally haul it with a half ton, but it could probably be moved with a one ton dually, or a dump truck.

However, for $50,000 or more, how often do you need to use your pickup to move the Komatsu? One heavy tow vehicle for the family? Then everything else light towing?

I assume your cam was replaced. Hard to say what engine damage it caused.

Yeah moving the dozer is probably a pipe dream.
Hard to say what engine damage it caused.

Cam was replaced. That statement above is the whole reason I'm thinking about getting a different truck. Right now I can be up front with a perspective buyer and get a decent amount out of it. If i keep it and it runs another 150,000 miles and goes to the scrap heap it's a win. If I keep it and the engine blows in a year, replacing the motor would probably cost what I can sell it for today.

Ok now talk to me about diesel vs gas. I had originally said gas but there seems to be more diesels on the used market. Since there are more of them there are more trim packages so many of the diesels are similar in price at a lower trim package to a gas with the higher trim package.

I don't think I need the power of a diesel at all. But I'm also hearing that the diesels seem to get better fuel economy and the GM's (which is what i'm leaning toward) and have the 10 speed vs the gas having the 6 speed transmissions.