Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #21  
Not to talk you out of spending your money, but even if you drop $12k on a crate motor and install, you'd be well ahead of the $60k+ your looking at on a new truck. It's not just the truck payments, it's the insurance and all to go with that $900/month payment.

Last edited:
   / Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #22  
I don't plan on having a pickup with a gas motor ever again. I have had GMC pickups with diesel motors since 1994. Started with a 1/2 ton with the 6.5 Turbo diesel, then the 6.6 in a 2500HD in 2003 and 2008. Currently have a 2017 2500HD and a 2024 3500HD, both with the 6.6 Duramax and Allison transmission. There are higher routine maintenance costs but not that much more, 10 quarts of oil for the Duramax vs 6 for a gas motor. Other than that, everything else is pretty much the same, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter. Major repairs can cost more if you have to replace an injector pump or injectors.

Our needs have changed somewhat in that we need an enclosed vehicle to transport large stained-glass projects, 3'X4'. I plan on trading in the 2017 2500HHD on a new Yukon 4X4 with the 3.0 Duramax.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #23  
Well - - I went completely the other way. I bought a Ram 2500 Power Wagon - brand new in 2018. It is STRICTLY for the fun of it. It's off road suspension limits the amount it can haul and tow. AGAIN - no difference to me - I do not haul, I do not tow. And MAN - am I ever having fun with this truck.

I was asked at the gas station - what kind of mileage. 32K miles - average 16mpg. Like I told the fellow - if I was looking for high mpg - I sure as hell would not have bought this truck.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #24  
Ok now talk to me about diesel vs gas. I had originally said gas but there seems to be more diesels on the used market. Since there are more of them there are more trim packages so many of the diesels are similar in price at a lower trim package to a gas with the higher trim package.

I don't think I need the power of a diesel at all. But I'm also hearing that the diesels seem to get better fuel economy and the GM's (which is what i'm leaning toward) and have the 10 speed vs the gas having the 6 speed transmissions.

Diesels have always gotten better fuel economy than gas, because diesel fuel has more "energy", more BTUs, per gallon than gas. Add to that the fact that maximum torque (which is what does the actual work) on a diesel engine is anywhere from 1400 to about 1800 rpm. So it does its work turning at essentially a fast idle. Maximum torque on a gas engine is usually 3000 rpm or higher so as soon as you put any kind of a load on it, it shifts down and the engine revs up to make more torque. That uses more fuel.

You have to balance those diesel advantages against the disadvantages. In some parts of the country diesel fuel costs a lot more than gasoline. And if you get a newer diesel you need to work it hard to keep all the emissions crap on the engine happy. They take a long time to warm up and reach operating temperature so using one for short trips only causes problems with the emissions. When that emissions equipment does go bad it is very expensive to repair.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #25  
I wouldn't own another diesel unless I absolutely had to. The maintenance on them costs a ton more and they are expensive to repair. I drive a Chevy 2500 HD gasser and it's a good truck. Personally, I feel the best truck on the market today is the Ford F250 with the 6.2 gasser engine...

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #26  
Ok now talk to me about diesel vs gas. I had originally said gas but there seems to be more diesels on the used market. Since there are more of them there are more trim packages so many of the diesels are similar in price at a lower trim package to a gas with the higher trim package.

I don't think I need the power of a diesel at all. But I'm also hearing that the diesels seem to get better fuel economy and the GM's (which is what i'm leaning toward) and have the 10 speed vs the gas having the 6 speed transmissions.

“seem to get better fuel economy”?
Hale yes they get better fuel economy! :)
I get like 10-11 towing 38,000lbs with 4.88 gears. If there was a gas motor even made that could tow that weight, it would get less than half that. Probably like 3-4 MPG. Empty I get 16. Not bad for 4.88’s.

You’d be ear to ear grinning happy in a Ram/Cummins.
After owning Furds, GM’s and Rams, every day I drive my Ram/Cummins and actually push it past its’ limits, I wonder “why everyone doesn’t drive a Ram/Cummins“?

1710418597904.jpeg

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #27  
I wouldn't own another diesel unless I absolutely had to. The maintenance on them costs a ton more and they are expensive to repair. I drive a Chevy 2500 HD gasser and it's a good truck. Personally, I feel the best truck on the market today is the Ford F250 with the 6.2 gasser engine...

My 35 years of diesel ownership of 8 different diesel trucks has provided different results than yours.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #28  
My 35 years of diesel ownership of 8 different diesel trucks has provided different results than yours.
I totally understand we all have different experiences. I live in an area where everyone and their brother thinks they need a diesel, including the 16 year old kids who don't tow a thing. We are a big farm state so they're everywhere. I use to tow a heavy load daily and had to have one, but I don't anymore and couldn't be more happy about that!

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe?
My lone experience with diesel trucks was my '08 F-250 with the 6.4L. I got 12-14mpg empty and 8 pulling a trailer. Which is exactly what I got when I change over to a V-10 gas Dodge 2500. I guess they got better.

/ Need a new(er) truck.... Maybe? #30  
If you tow a lot I’d look at a diesel, if you don’t, I wouldn’t even think about. Around here at times diesel is the same or even less than gas but most of the time it costs more. Right now it cost $0.40 higher.

You also need to keep an eye on payload with a 3/4 ton. I know someone who bought a fully loaded Ram diesel, his payload is 2000 pounds, pretty low these days. I’d step up to a 1 ton if buying diesel.