Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ?

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ?
I always remove my loader for mowing, but I have hills. Even so, I'd probably remove it just due to the extra weight. I'm truly amazed at how well this tractor mows.

You should make some new friends that also have BX's or SCUTS, and you can then borrow/swap implements. :)

David, your profile says you have the same tractor I'm planning to get. Do you have the "Easy-Drive-Over" deck, if yes how do you like it?
Did you get a 54 or 60 inch deck - and did you get a Fine Cut or Standard Cut deck? Any comments or advice on decks?

With my current lawn-tractor I'm removing the deck once a month during heavy cutting season (sometimes twice) to sharpen or replace blades. I'm hoping this "Drive-Over" deck makes that chore more pleasant.

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ? #32  
I hate to pile on, but yes, get the loader. I thought I would use mine just once in a while but I'm guessing half of my use of the tractor is loader work, I wouldn't have thought that possible when I bought it. Yes, the loader is easy to take on and off, I'm pretty unskilled at times and can do it in less than 5 minutes now.

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ? #33  
Back around 1978 my dad bought a Gravely garden tractor with a drive over deck and shaft main drive. Drop the deck, unpin a u-joint and back off/ drive on deal. Made servicing the deck easier but not easy. It was still a heavy and unwieldy booger.

The suggestion earlier to separate your lawn mower from your tractor activities is one I encourage you to consider. I love my SCAG Tiger Cat. It has the build quality you would appreciate but its not a tractor.

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ? #34  
One more vote for "get the loader"... Two of the three Kubotas I have owned didn't come with loaders, but all had them when I bought them, and the first owners both wished they had started out with loaders- much cheaper overall. You will find, that with just a bit of practice, you can remove a loader in less than 5 minutes, more or less. Putting them back on takes about the same amount of time. The secret is having a flat, level place to R and R them. Painless. And, if it is available, strongly consider getting the SSQA bucket!!

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ? #35  
mshumack,

I have the standard 60" deck. It is not the drive over type. I remove mine frequently for ground clearance on the other tasks. I lower the deck, go to the front of it and pull a spring lock mechanism and turn a bar that holds the front of the deck to the tractor frame. Once that is done, I reach under the middle with one hand and squeeze the PTO drive shaft attachment and slide it right off. Then I remove a spring lock from each side of the tractor at the attachment point and raise the lift arms back up and out of the way. Then I simply slide the deck out from under the tractor. I do this in my shop on a concrete floor. It is very easy and quick. Probably no more than 2 minutes. Attaching is the opposite of the above and also very easy and quick. You can also turn the roller wheels to the side so it rolls in the direction you want it to instead of sliding it, but I haven't found a need to do so.

My previous combo was a JD L118 lawn tractor for mowing, and a Kubota L3800 for tractor work. I do miss the bigger tractor sometimes, but I had done most of the big things that I wanted done and it sat a lot. I got the BX to replace them both and I use it a lot.

I use to bush hog my fields with the L3800 and mow my lawn with the JD. Now, I use the 60" belly mower for my lawn (2.25" setting) and my fields (3" setting). It is way faster for both applications. The lawn, not only because the cutting width is much larger than the JD was at only 42", but because I can mow driving much faster with the BX. The blade speeds are very high and this will throw thick grass clippings 6' out from the discharge. It's really incredible. For what I use to bushhog with the L3800 and 5' bushhog, I am now mowing with the 5' mower deck and find it also a fair amount faster due to going around trees, it being more stable feeling and tackling hills side-hill fashion that I would only back up and down with the bush hog, etc. Not only all that, but this leaves a great finish on the fields as opposed to my bush hog.

Side-hills - This thing is way more stable than my JD lawn tractor was and it is 4X4, so I never lose traction or slip either. In every regard, this is the best mower I've ever owned by al long shot. That said, the GR by itself or the JD X series are probably better mowers by themselves. The difference for me is I till, box blade, grapple, and move loads with my FEL also.

I mowed my property fields one time immediately following a heavy rain and didn't have to slow down for anything. I used it this weekend on the fields and the grass/weeds/light brush was over my head as I sat on the tractor and aside from having to clean the radiator screen to keep the temperature where it should be, it handled it all just fine and looks great. The radiator screen cleaning is normal and it is designed for that. You have to do that on large tractors while bush hogging as well and I had to do it with my L3800 also. If I only mowed my yard at home with it, I wouldn't need to clean the screen, because there's never enough chaff/debris in the air.

I can't say how pleased I am with this tractor. From gardening to food plot tilling for myself and others, to mowing, to dirt work, etc, this handles my needs well. Obviously, larger heavier tractors will do more or do things faster, but I've had no issues with my tasks with this machine at all and am not disappointed with my decision.

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ? #36  
Just throwing this out, don't want to mess you up. I believe you can get a JD 1023
right now for $11,500 with 0% for 60 mos. If you want a loader about $2700 more.
That includes the drive over/auto connect deck.

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ? #37  
Yah, get the loader. It will make you more handsome, taller and respected in your neighborhood.

Must be a new feature that didn't come with my 10-12 year old equipment since I'm still ugly and short. How ugly, you ask? A few weeks ago I accidentally took a "selfie" with this newfangled smartphone and about scared myself to death when the picture popped up on the screen.

/ Need advise on buying new Lawn Tractor. Kubota GR or BX, JD, or ? #38  
H
Just throwing this out, don't want to mess you up. I believe you can get a JD 1023
right now for $11,500 with 0% for 60 mos. If you want a loader about $2700 more.

Althought I am a orange fan, green does have a few good options, took a coworker to the Kubota dealer to help him find a BX tractor but ended up at the JD dealer and bought a 1025R with drive over deck that is pretty slick, they gave him a better overall deal and they are matching Kubotas 0% for 60. BTW, get the loader.

mshumack,

I have the standard 60" deck. It is not the drive over type. I remove mine frequently for ground clearance on the other tasks. I lower the deck, go to the front of it and pull a spring lock mechanism and turn a bar that holds the front of the deck to the tractor frame. Once that is done, I reach under the middle with one hand and squeeze the PTO drive shaft attachment and slide it right off. Then I remove a spring lock from each side of the tractor at the attachment point and raise the lift arms back up and out of the way. Then I simply slide the deck out from under the tractor. I do this in my shop on a concrete floor. It is very easy and quick. Probably no more than 2 minutes. Attaching is the opposite of the above and also very easy and quick. You can also turn the roller wheels to the side so it rolls in the direction you want it to instead of sliding it, but I haven't found a need to do so.

I just watched a bunch of Kubota BX videos on YouTube about deck removal (and other interesting things, tips, and tricks). One guy timed his deck removal - it took 40 seconds to get it out from under the tractor. Another video showed a guy with the "drive over" deck. It took him a lot longer to get everything lined up and connected. After watching these videos I convinced the drive over deck is not worth paying extra for.

Steve, thanks for the suggestion.

I went to JD website and ran through the "build my own" tractor. It's not very user friendly so I may have messed up. I'm not sure if hydraulics/loader valve is included and if a 3-point hitch is included in the pricing I came up with.

The on-line pricing tool shows the base 1023e goes for $11,500 then the 60" (drive over) deck is $3453 or a standard 60" deck is $2,100, and the FEL is another $2599. So the total comes up around $17K. I know this is MSRP.

I don't know how much discount dealers are giving off MSRP - but they do have the 0% 60 months financing as you mentioned. I think the JD 1023 is the direct completion to the BX70 series. Thanks for letting me know.

Mike