Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #11  
Dirtball said:
Well I started to look. Surfed Ebay. Stopped at the local Cat and Deere shops. Looks like a good $10,000 markup at dealer on $25k machine. Just missed a great unit locally . 5 yearold 2500hr machine for $20k. I am in no immediate rush. I'd like to get something in 60 days. A 2-3000 hr unit would hopefully keep away from the repair shop for a while. I know I can get a 8000hr unit for $10k but I dont want the repair headaches. Question??---Do the backhoe controls change from brand to brand? when were all the sticks condensed to fewer 4 in 1 joysticks? ie. will any 2002 model year and up have modern controls?

Yes, they can be had with 2 sticks and maybe a footpedal to swing the boom. I like CASE units because they invented the modern day backhoe and have a lot of dealer support. They also make an excellent machine.

One thing not mentioned I would strongly recommend is an extenda-hoe. Once you have one, you'll never figure out how you survived without one.

I'll tell you who makes fines hoes for a cheaper price in used units is JCB, New Holland & Terex. No, they're not as good as Case, Cat or Deere, but you're not a professional excavator either, so you don't need the world's best machine. Believe me, plenty of pro-excavators use them, but they are more hoe than you'll ever need and they run cheaper because they don't hold resale value as well.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #12  
The controls for the hoe vary depending on how the original purchaser ordered the machine. Once you use one type or the other for a while it will be like second nature. I started using the wobble stick backhoes, which are the two sticks that move in four directions, it isn't hard to learn how to use them. I then started using the case 3 stick controls which really messed with me for a while but once you get used to them they are real good at doing fine work. In the long run it just takes practice with either type of controls and you will get used to them. I know Case had wobble stick in their late 80 models the K's. John Deere, cat, and others have them also. The new Cat pilot controls are real nice but just came out a few years ago. I also agree with the extendahoe, once you use one you won't want to use a standard hoe again. The increased reach is worth the extra money.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #14  
builder, "I like CASE units because they invented the modern day backhoe"

Case bought American Tractor in 57 so they could put their new hydraulic backhoe on their small Case dozers.

Bamford was building hydraulic tractor backhoes in 53. (JCB)

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #15  
wroughtn_harv said:
Case bought American Tractor in 57 so they could put their new hydraulic backhoe on their small Case dozers.

Bamford was building hydraulic tractor backhoes in 53. (JCB)

I said modern day backhoe.

I've seen backhoe booms mounted on the back of an army deuce and a half, but that's not a modern backhoe.

You get the idea.....they were the first to take it to the big time.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #16  
Builder said:
I said modern day backhoe.

I've seen backhoe booms mounted on the back of an army deuce and a half, but that's not a modern backhoe.

You get the idea.....they were the first to take it to the big time.

I think Case was the first to sell them as construction tractor at their dealerships as a complete start-and-go solution, with factory mounted loader and backhoe, with no 3pt: A dedicated backhoe machine, you didnt have to buy a standard farm tractor, and then find yourself a hoe and a loader to bolt on to it. ;)

loose backhoes from JCB are older, but they consisted of a farm tractor, built up with a hoe and loader by JCB, and for warranty you needed 2 different companies. But Case was the first to provide an off-factory all-in-one solution, which was a ready to go backhoe from the factory. That helped a great deal in promoting the concept.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #17  
Case is an excellent machine. Cat & Deere are too, just be ready to poay for it in Parts & Service. The resale will gain it back however. If it's something you will have for a while then resale isn't that big of a deal. I really like the Terex machine. JCB & Komatsu are good too. I had an old Case 580C, Excellent machine. Brakes, they never worked. But it had 10K hours on it when it got sold, for near inital purchase price.
If I were to replace the Ford 555 today it wouold be with a Terex or Komatsu. If you can fix most things, you can pay half as much for one of these names. If you don't pay as much, you won't need to get as much ouot of it in the end.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size
I found one local machine. 1999 Cat416C 4wd , X-hoe, cab heat/No air, 1100 hrs , standard frt bucket , one leaky cylinder and broken glass in cab. CAT store knows the machine, they have a print out on it I can get- he considered trading it in . Someone recommended sending oil samples. owner wants near 30,000 for it. I'll go see it next week..How many hp is this machine?

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #19  
Dirtball said:
I found one local machine. 1999 Cat416C 4wd , X-hoe, cab heat/No air, 1100 hrs , standard frt bucket , one leaky cylinder and broken glass in cab. CAT store knows the machine, they have a print out on it I can get- he considered trading it in . Someone recommended sending oil samples. owner wants near 30,000 for it. I'll go see it next week..How many hp is this machine?

Dirt,

Probably ~85HP. That's funny that it has no air. I considered a similar 416C and it also had no A/C. Let me warn you, no A/C in a cab sux. Been there done that with another machine I used to run. A/C is like an extendahoe-you won't know how you lived without it. Keep looking for one with AC would be my advice. Perhaps that kind of thing doesn't matter to you, but when it's hot, a cab is like a greenhouse, even w/ doors open. Have you tried Eagle power & equipment(Case) or Plasterer(John Deere) or Ransome (CAT) All of themn basically are thieves, but they usually have fleet returns that are decently maintained.

I started out the same way as you. I was gonna buy a 25-30K machine until I realized how nice it would be to have a newer more loaded machine. Yeah, the payments suck, but I really like it. My CASE really spoiled me.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #20  
You know my Daddy always jokes that you never let the facts get in the way of a good argument, but I will have to interject some facts here on the subject of backhoes!

Fact, Joesph Cyril Bamford built and sold the first intregal "modern" backhoe in 1954.
Fact, Case bought the American Farm Tractor company out in 1957 soley to acquire their backhoe that they where developing and then brought it to market in 1958. That is why if you went to Con-Expo (or a display at your local dealer) you would have seen the "50th Anniversary" backhoe. To confirm this information please refer to Case Construction Equipments website.

OK, now lets talk sales and who is really #1.

Fact, there has not been a single year since 1954 that ANYONE has manufactured or sold more backhoes than JCB. They have a worldwide market share of 38%!! I cannot tell you the exact number of backhoes built and sold in 2007 but it was over 35,000. In the world market John Deere and Cat fight for second and Case and New Holland for 4th and 5th. Just fact, ask your dealer. Now in North America I will give you that Case has major market share. The majority of their backhoes are sold here, but JCB's market share is growing by leaps and bounds!

Fact, they had the first outboard planetry drives, first side shift, first four wheel steer, first over 85HP, ect.... Joe Bamford always sought to improve and be first. Today they are the ONLY company to manufacuer their own engine, transmission, axles and cabs for backhoes!! They can only do this because they build almost twice as many as anyone else...

Like it or not thems the facts. We can argue preferences, tastes, ect. in another session. But, the numbers are the numbers.