Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #31  
MFRED said:
Well, I may be biased as Terex/Fermec has roots from the MF loader, backhoe line. But they sure are a nice machine. As I said before, when you spend a lot less in the begining, it take less to get your money out of it at the end. It's not like they are a no name.

=============================================

Read up on Terex 1st. They're built overseas; have lots of electrical problems; are hard to service.

When I was looking last year a dealer in NC was selling new ones for low-30's (I think - I posted the #s here).

I don't like to slam any machine. Go into the Ritchie Bros website and look at the resale on them. I like to let the market tell the story.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #32  
wroughtn_harv said:
Now it's getting interesting.

McGraw-Hill Construction | ENR - Equipment Tracks & Trends

The reason this has been such a burr under my saddle is one of the gimmes I got at the JCB factory was a book. In this book is a picture of the 1954 JCB loader backhoe. Folks it looks more modern than some of the backhoes produced by others in the sixties and seventies.

I wish I'd seen this before I wrote my reply. This is what I remember: a JCB from the early 50s that looked much more integrated than, say, the mid-60s Deere 500 that I used to own - which was a factory-made unit.

But, does it matter who invented it relative to the machines today? I used to collect Studebakers. Great cars, huge list of US factory 1st (positraction, synchro 4-speed, blah blah). Way way ahead of GM and Ford in engineering. Does it mean anything to the market today? Wasn't Cat the last majorplayer to get into the rubber-tire backhoe market?

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #33  
jfh0jfh said:
=============================================

Read up on Terex 1st. They're built overseas; have lots of electrical problems; are hard to service.

When I was looking last year a dealer in NC was selling new ones for low-30's (I think - I posted the #s here).

I don't like to slam any machine. Go into the Ritchie Bros website and look at the resale on them. I like to let the market tell the story.

That's what I did. It seemed like TEREX was a LOT of machine and cheap up front, but lost value rapidly. JCB is much higher priced up front and loses value rapidly too compared to Deere, Case or Cat.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #34  
Builder said:
That's what I did. It seemed like TEREX was a LOT of machine and cheap up front, but lost value rapidly. JCB is much higher priced up front and loses value rapidly too compared to Deere, Case or Cat.

Yes, we discussed it last year when I was 1st looking. I think you called my attention to Terex resale 1st.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #35  
From Obituary: Joseph Bamford | News | The Guardian

"In 1957, the first backhoe loader was launched as the hydra-digga, incorporating the excavator and the major loader as a single, all-purpose tool."

I have dug the internet for facts, but i cant find something that will give us an exclusive conclusion: All i can find, is that the score is even: JCB had the first European TLB, Case had the first American TLB : Both came out in the same year.