Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #21  
The nearest JCB dealer is 76.8 miles from my doorstep as per their website.
Till there's one closer, I won't be buying one.

Having a parts source locally is more important than brand. Everything breaks
no matter how great it is. Case is 20ish, Cat about the same. New holland is 40ish. Deere is nearly as far as JCB and also out of the running.

Go with a machine you can get service for.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #22  
MFRED said:
I really like the Terex machine. JCB &
If I were to replace the Ford 555 today it wouold be with a Terex or Komatsu. QUOTE]
-------------snipped most of MFred quote------------------

I agree, trying several hoes, each for a week, for a small municipal hwy dpt to buy and the best of the bunch (cat-deere-case-jcb-nh-fermec now called terex) and the Terex was the runaway winner,,, Designed for mechanics first, operator second and the work at hand third. All tested were 15 ft class and all but one had an extending hoe crowd.,.. The terex out reached the others in length, could pick up larger concrete basins than the others and just all around was a bit better than the others, big thing to me was the flat glass on the cab. Break the curved glass on a deere and see what it sets you back... A great machine, that is still reasonably priced and no one is considering it,., Yes, it's resale is in the sink, it would pick up if more were sold and the machine was more popular.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #23  
Well, I may be biased as Terex/Fermec has roots from the MF loader, backhoe line. But they sure are a nice machine. As I said before, when you spend a lot less in the begining, it take less to get your money out of it at the end. It's not like they are a no name.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #24  
MFRED said:
Well, I may be biased as Terex/Fermec has roots from the MF loader, backhoe line. But they sure are a nice machine. As I said before, when you spend a lot less in the begining, it take less to get your money out of it at the end. It's not like they are a no name.

Terex machines have very low resale value. They're a bargain up front, but if you need to resell, you won't be as happy as with others.

Terex does have a nice machine for a very resonable cost.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #25  
osucowboy said:
You know my Daddy always jokes that you never let the facts get in the way of a good argument, but I will have to interject some facts here on the subject of backhoes!

Then lets place the FACTs into their proper context, so they are correctly interpreted:

from Backhoe loader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The backhoe loader was invented in the UK in 1953 by Joseph Cyril Bamford, founder of J. C. Bamford (JCB), by equipping a farm tractor with both a backhoe and a front-mounted loading bucket. Although based on a tractor.....

osucowboy said:
Fact, Joesph Cyril Bamford built and sold the first intregal "modern" backhoe in 1954.

Your "fact" is not correct by the definition of 'intregal "modern" backhoe': Ït was a loose backhoe to connect to a standard farm tractor, 2 separate units that were bolted together. They werent designed as a single unit.

more facts from Case Construction Equipment

Milestones
1957 - Case purchased Indiana-based American Tractor Corporation, a small, privately held firm that was developing a hydraulically powered backhoe to attach to its crawler units. At the same time, Case was developing a prototype industrial-wheel tractor designed to accommodate a backhoe on the rear and a loader on the front. By spring of 1957, Case successfully merged the technologies and introduced the landmark Case Model 320, the industry's first factory-integrated tractor loader/backhoe.

noticed that last line ?? "the industry's first factory-integrated tractor loader/backhoe"

Now from J. C. Bamford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1957: He brought out the "hydra-digga", incorporating the excavator and the major loader as a single all-purpose tool which was useful for both the agricultural as well as construction industry, which JCB grew with.

I think both facts dont get in the way of the argument at all, as it seems that JCB and Case were introducing them in the same year, and both manufacturers claim to be the first.... We'd have to look closely at how both manufacturers define a "modern day construction backhoe"

We could quibble about the defnitions, but its easier for us in this argument, ;) to give credit to:
-JCB for the first farmtractor-loader-backhoe in 1953
-Case for the first TLB where the construction tractor is incorporated in the whole design, (and isnt just a carrier vehicle) in 1957

Last edited:
   / Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #26  
Now it's getting interesting.

McGraw-Hill Construction | ENR - Equipment Tracks & Trends

Elton Long, mechanical engineer who lead the design team that developed the first American-made, integrated loader backhoe, died April 6 in Burlington, Iowa. He was 81 years old.

Early in his career, Long designed heavy equipment for American Tractor Co. of Churubusco, Ind. When Case Corp., Racine, Wis., acquired ATC in 1957, Long and his colleagues were in the midst of designing a new type of machine that would eventually become the bread and butter of contractor fleets around the world. After joining Case, Long rivaled the efforts of Joseph Cyril Bamford, founder of U.K.-based JCB. Though heavily debated, historians say JCB produced the world's first fully integrated unit in 1954, the JCB Mark 1. Shortly after the ATC acquisition, Case shipped the first American-made unit, Model 320, on Feb. 26, 1957. Prior to the JCB and Case designs, loader backhoes were for years bucket implements rigged haphazardly on farm tractors, with parts sold and warranted separately.

The reason this has been such a burr under my saddle is one of the gimmes I got at the JCB factory was a book. In this book is a picture of the 1954 JCB loader backhoe. Folks it looks more modern than some of the backhoes produced by others in the sixties and seventies.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #27  
sure its getting more and more interesting...

could you please post some more information from the book ??

edit: Found something on Ebay:
JCB GRAVEDIGGER mk1 on eBay, also Diggers, Construction Tools, Industrial Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 14-Aug-08 18:56:44 BST)

Its a JCB mark1 "gravedigger"

Its not based on a tractor skid unit, but has a Lister 2 cylinder air cooled diesel.
This is NOT a TLB but a TDB because it has a dozer blade fitted, not a frontloader.

also this site:
Old Pond publishing days : JCBs filmed

Last edited:
   / Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #28  
For working on the farm and doing what you want, any of the name brands will get it done. They are all in the 80hp range, which is plenty for digging dirt, taking out trees and stumps, as well as trenching. I think the backhoe is the ultimate do everything machine and if I only had one tractor, that's what it would be. I made the mistake of buying 2wd and a standard bucket. I can't do anything on muddy days, and in winter, that might take most of a week until I can get around to do anything. What really sucks is that the ground might be mostly dry, but sure as heck, I'll find that wet spot and get stuck. To say it's frustrating wouldn't even come close. Another advantage to 4wd would be how much easier it is to getting a full load of dirt in the front bucket. After my dirt piles have sat awhile, maybe a few months, they are too compacted to get a full load by just scooping them up. I have to break them up with the backhoe first.

The 4in1 bucket would be a huge time saver if you plan on removing or clearing any brush or trees. Without it, I have to wrap a chain around everything that I take out and drag it to the burn pile. Then I have to take the chain off, get back on the tractor and push, scoop the tree/brush onto the burn pile. It doesn't take long to add a bunch of dirt to the pile doing it this way. With the 4in1 bucket, you just pick up what you have taken out, drive it to the burn pile and put it on top of the fire or coals. It will burn real clean and fast this way too!!!!!

A cab would be nice, but that's a big expense for comfort that you probably don't want to spend with your budget.

With a limited choice of dealers in your area, those are the only brands to look at. It really doesn't matter how cheap something may be, it's too expensive to own it if you can't get parts for it, or have to spend all day driving back and forth to get those parts. Resale on a well maintained backhoe is going to be close to what you paid for it, no matter the brand. Cat seems to hold the higher end of the price range, but if you pay $20,000 for a Case, NH, or Deere, it will sell close to that amount minus the hours on it. The key here is how well you maintain it.

Look for those two features and find the tractor with the lowest hours on it that you can. Things start to fail on them at 3,000 hours, so allot of commercial and rental yards get rid of their machines before they get to this point. They can't make any money on a machine that's not out working.

The things that will fail first are usualy the hydraulic seals on your cylinders. They have a limited life span and there's nothing you can do to prolong this. When it's time, they fail. Learn how to rebuild them yourself. It's a pain, like everything else, but with all the cylinders on a backhoe, it's a huge amount of money to have somebody else do it for you. On the biggest cylinder for my backhoe, I rebuilt it while still in place. It was just too heavy to pick up and work on in my shop. You will need a few special tools, but they are not complicated to work on, just awkward and painful. LOL

I have a 98 NH 555E, and they started selling a replacement piston for their cylinders a few years ago. If you buy the rebuild kit for the cylinder, you have to buy the new piston for it too. The kits run around $50 each and the pitons are in the $200 range. The parts guy told me that I could just get the stuff to rebuild my piston at a shop that specializes in cylinder rebuilds, which has saved me hundreds of dollars. Maybe more. He sells me just what I need to rebuild my cylinders and I'm usualy out the door for $20 this way.

Since cylinders and hoses fail all the time, don't waste any effort on them when buying. Use them as a way to get the price down, but don't let a leaking one deter you from buying a machine.

Bushing and pins are another thing. If you have one that's worn, it can be very dificult and expensive to get it fixed. It just depends on the tractor that you are looking at. Some are simple replacements, others have to be machined. Talk to the parts guy of the brand you are considering and see if they sell replacement parts that you can do yourself. If not, shy away from that machine as this is something that can shut you down and cause allot of grief.

Most all of them have pretty good engines. If it starts right up, doesn't have any smoke and runs smooth, you are probably alright. Drive it around and make sure it runs good. A transmission issue would be very expensive to fix and something to avoid.

When negotiating, be sure to include delivery as part of the deal, and only pay for it after it's been delivered. If they won't do that, walk away. Finding a company to do this for you and then paying them for it can be expensive. Most backhoes around my area of the country are hauled with a one ton pickup truck with a gooseneck trailer.

If you don't already know a set of backhoe controls, it doesn't really matter what you get, as it's what you will learn and become comfortable with. I think there are four different patters, so it's just up to which brand you buy. The joystick controls are nice, less fatige and easier to use, but when they go out, very expensive to replace. I've heard numbers of several thousand dollars for just the control panel on a Cat backhoe that a guy had to get fixed when his stoped working.

Machinery Trader has allot of stuff listed all the time, but usually it's all top dollar. I go there and find out where all the local used dealers are and then either look up their websites, or their address and phone number. They don't always advertise everything on Machinery Trader, so it's worthwhile to contact them to see what they have.

Good luck,
Eddie

I

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #29  
There are several threads about this including 2 I started last year which have many good member comments.

I have had a full-size backhoe since I purchased our farm (~20 years). I do most of my work alone and it's the handiest tool I have.

I've had several (mostly JD but also Case). I've run a Ford 675 often; also JCB and some others eg. Dynahoe, Terex.

Our farm is hilly and the time-consuming work for me is moving dirt. In that light I like a larger backhoe w/ a large front bucket and more weight for digging with the front bucket.

Last year I sold my JD 510 and looked 9 months for a replacement. I would have been happy with a 675 Ford or a 580/ 590 Case (L or under) but ended up with a JD 710 4WD extendahoe . I like the bigger machines for the reasons above and because they're priced lower relative to condition: you can haul a JD 310/ Case 580/ Small NH behind a 1-ton so every small contractor wants one. Above that you get into a larger truck.

Before I purchased I'd decided against NH, Komatsu, others after watching them sell $20K+ below equivalent Cases at Ritchie Bros auctions. Cat is out of my budget.

I do my own service work so maintenance is a key for me. JD has a strong dealer network here. As does Case, but I'm more familiar w/ JD.

All of my backhoes have had OROPS. A cab is nice in the woods sometimes but I prefer the openness and ease of getting on & off to do hand work.

I've never had a 4-in-1 bucket. They're great but never found one on a machine I wanted.

/ Need construction backhoe for small farm-? size #30  
Builder said:
I said modern day backhoe.

I've seen backhoe booms mounted on the back of an army deuce and a half, but that's not a modern backhoe.

You get the idea.....they were the first to take it to the big time.

I thought JCB invented the "modern backhoe" - 6-way motion, swing cylinders, tractor-mounted, etc - in the early 1950s. See refs here Backhoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also a couple of ~ 2003 threads here.