Need help finding a good lawn tractor??

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #11  
The Simplicity Legacy would be an excellent choice, as will many of the larger garden tractor REAL John Deeres. A light machine by any manufacturer will not push your snow for you, and you will lose traction on those hills when it's damp. A BX series Kubota would also be a good fit.

However, I do think you can get a lot of good use out of an inexpensive Sears tractor. My Dad bought one for about $1100 ten years ago and he's still using it. He's had no trouble with it either. Of course, he is only cutting grass (3/4 acre) with it, and it does lose traction a lot. I doubt that it would plow more than a couple of inches of snow without having problems though.

Whatever you get make sure that it is a hydrostatic drive - way better for speed, convenience, control, and safety (both for you and your trees and flowers). All-wheel-Steer (AWS) is also an awesome option.

I would also suggest that you look at used J.D. 4x5 series tractors. The 425 and 445 both offer AWS as an option, are very heavy, shaft driven with locking diff, and have hydraulics. They support CAT0 3ph, have an optional rear PTO too. J.D. makes many attachments for it, including a loader. I've seen them advertised for between $3000 to about $4500 depending on area and condition. If you can get one for under $4G's, grab it up. It'll be better than anything new you could buy for that kind of money. Of course, if you can afford new, I'm sure there is a comparable new Deere that you could get. But, the one's at Home Depot and the like are probably too light for snow plowing - a snow blower maybe. But, my preference is for a plow blade (dryer, faster most of the time).

I have a 425 AWS. It's 13 years old now. The only repair cost I've had was for an ignition module ($75). It still looks and runs like new. I cut about 1.75 acres with it in about 1.5 hours. With the AWS, I only have to trim about once a month or so. The turning radius is 13". So, you can spin right around a tree. And she'll climb or safely cut sideways on most any hill - great traction.

Also, I have a power (hydraulic angle and lift) dozer blade that I use to push snow with. Man, will that 425 plow some snow too! The first year I had her, we got 40" inches of snow within a 36 hour period. She moved that snow like nobody's business. I plow all four of my neighbors driveways, plus mine in less than an hour total time. Each drive is about 100' long. A couple are pretty steep and I have to start at the bottom - no problem for the Deere. -Though, I do use chains and weights.

I just bought a much bigger Kioti CK25. When the dealer delivered it, he saw the Deere 425 sitting in my barn. He said, "I guess you won't be using that (the deere) to plow snow any more." Then I said, "Shoot, that 425 will plow circles around this Kioti. I can plow sideways, turn around mid driveway, and creep along next to the garage and cars." The Kioti is just not as manueverable. Now if we got another 40 incher, the Kioti's FEL will come in handy for piling all that snow up. But, for your average snow fall, the 425 is the real deal even if I do have to put chains on it every fall.

I'll shut up now. Good luck.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #12  
The Simplicity Legacy would be an excellent choice, as will many of the larger garden tractor REAL John Deeres. A light machine by any manufacturer will not push your snow for you, and you will lose traction on those hills when it's damp. A BX series Kubota would also be a good fit.

However, I do think you can get a lot of good use out of an inexpensive Sears tractor. My Dad bought one for about $1100 ten years ago and he's still using it. He's had no trouble with it either. Of course, he is only cutting grass (3/4 acre) with it, and it does lose traction a lot. I doubt that it would plow more than a couple of inches of snow without having problems though.

Whatever you get make sure that it is a hydrostatic drive - way better for speed, convenience, control, and safety (both for you and your trees and flowers). All-wheel-Steer (AWS) is also an awesome option.

I would also suggest that you look at used J.D. 4x5 series tractors. The 425 and 445 both offer AWS as an option, are very heavy, shaft driven with locking diff, and have hydraulics. They support CAT0 3ph, have an optional rear PTO too. J.D. makes many attachments for it, including a loader. I've seen them advertised for between $3000 to about $4500 depending on area and condition. If you can get one for under $4G's, grab it up. It'll be better than anything new you could buy for that kind of money. Of course, if you can afford new, I'm sure there is a comparable new Deere that you could get. But, the one's at Home Depot and the like are probably too light for snow plowing - a snow blower maybe. But, my preference is for a plow blade (dryer, faster most of the time).

I have a 425 AWS. It's 13 years old now. The only repair cost I've had was for an ignition module ($75). It still looks and runs like new. I cut about 1.75 acres with it in about 1.5 hours. With the AWS, I only have to trim about once a month or so. The turning radius is 13". So, you can spin right around a tree. And she'll climb or safely cut sideways on most any hill - great traction.

Also, I have a power (hydraulic angle and lift) dozer blade that I use to push snow with. Man, will that 425 plow some snow too! The first year I had her, we got 40" inches of snow within a 36 hour period. She moved that snow like nobody's business. I plow all four of my neighbors driveways, plus mine in less than an hour total time. Each drive is about 100' long. A couple are pretty steep and I have to start at the bottom - no problem for the Deere. -Though, I do use chains and weights.

I just bought a much bigger Kioti CK25. When the dealer delivered it, he saw the Deere 425 sitting in my barn. He said, "I guess you won't be using that (the deere) to plow snow any more." Then I said, "Shoot, that 425 will plow circles around this Kioti. I can plow sideways, turn around mid driveway, and creep along next to the garage and cars." The Kioti is just not as manueverable. Now if we got another 40 incher, the Kioti's FEL will come in handy for piling all that snow up. But, for your average snow fall, the 425 is the real deal even if I do have to put chains on it every fall.

I'll shut up now. Good luck.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #13  
inneedoftractor

What sort of budget are you planning on? Knowing that will help the others narrow down the field and give you some recommendations.
Buying cheap can end up being a false economy, both in wear and tear and satisfaction whilst doing the job.
Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #14  
inneedoftractor

What sort of budget are you planning on? Knowing that will help the others narrow down the field and give you some recommendations.
Buying cheap can end up being a false economy, both in wear and tear and satisfaction whilst doing the job.
Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor??
Well originally I wanted to keep it within 2K but that looks like for that money you are only stuck with Sears and the 100 series JDs which I hear are junk. I don't want a pull behind mower for the ATV because I hear those are really hard to manuver and get around tight spots with, etc. Plus I know the ATV's tires would rip up my lawn. I guess one of the questions I have to ask myself is for the winter, I have a 100-foot driveway, level and paved, but in northern jersey here, I get numerous storms of over a foot of wet heavy snow. So I need something that is either strong enough to plow it, or I would need to but a snowblower attachment to put onto a tractor (not sure how expensive these snow blower attachments are). Or I guess the other option would be to go with something like a Kubota BX1500 with a FEL, that would be able to take care of the snow I'm sure no problem. But I'm not sure how the mowing with something like that would compare to a smaller lawn tractor as far as making tight turns, etc.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor??
Well originally I wanted to keep it within 2K but that looks like for that money you are only stuck with Sears and the 100 series JDs which I hear are junk. I don't want a pull behind mower for the ATV because I hear those are really hard to manuver and get around tight spots with, etc. Plus I know the ATV's tires would rip up my lawn. I guess one of the questions I have to ask myself is for the winter, I have a 100-foot driveway, level and paved, but in northern jersey here, I get numerous storms of over a foot of wet heavy snow. So I need something that is either strong enough to plow it, or I would need to but a snowblower attachment to put onto a tractor (not sure how expensive these snow blower attachments are). Or I guess the other option would be to go with something like a Kubota BX1500 with a FEL, that would be able to take care of the snow I'm sure no problem. But I'm not sure how the mowing with something like that would compare to a smaller lawn tractor as far as making tight turns, etc.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #17  
I would second the idea of a used 425 Deere. You should be able to find one for 3000 - 5000 in good shape with a blade. If you find that you can't keep up with the heavy wet snow, you could always find a used snow blower for it as well. Check with some local Deere dealers to see what they have, but try to find one with less than 1200 or so hours. That way you can still get a lot of use out of it before major engine work is needed. Those engines wear out between 1700 and 2000 hours. All wheel steer is nice, but make sure its tight and not wore out. If its a 1997 or older, make sure it has had the "camshaft update", the dealer will know what your talking about. The 318 is the model that came before the 425, and is also a nice, stout tractor. They are just becoming a little harder to find as guys are snapping them up and holding on to them. Good luck.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #18  
I would second the idea of a used 425 Deere. You should be able to find one for 3000 - 5000 in good shape with a blade. If you find that you can't keep up with the heavy wet snow, you could always find a used snow blower for it as well. Check with some local Deere dealers to see what they have, but try to find one with less than 1200 or so hours. That way you can still get a lot of use out of it before major engine work is needed. Those engines wear out between 1700 and 2000 hours. All wheel steer is nice, but make sure its tight and not wore out. If its a 1997 or older, make sure it has had the "camshaft update", the dealer will know what your talking about. The 318 is the model that came before the 425, and is also a nice, stout tractor. They are just becoming a little harder to find as guys are snapping them up and holding on to them. Good luck.