Need help finding a good lawn tractor??

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #21  
hello and welcome to TBN. i too have alot of hills and rough ground,i have an old JD 316 which works fairly well.it's a heavy machine but a little short on power by todays standards.i purchased a new JD X320 2 weeks ago and let me tell ya,what a nice machine.it is almost scary stable on these hills and will out manuever most other riding tractors out there.it will leave a 16" circle in the middle with the steering turned stop to stop which will get you around most obstacles in you're yard. i believe it weighs in around 800 lbs. and they offer a front mount 44" blade for it as well.i mow around 3acres and the first time i used it it only spun 2 1/2 hours on the hour meter. not bad ! not only does it cut nice it's fast too.i would highly recommend the X 320 to anyone.it's heavy enough to haul you're cart to and traction is not a concern. JD is running a program on the X series right now and it makes it very affordable. it does cost twice what the crapsman machines cost but there is a reason for that and one ride on either will confirm what i'm saying. the 320 is $3999. and the X300 is $2799. try one out at you're local JD dealer and remember,they also have a 30 day free ride on the X series so if you don't like it for any reason,return it,but you will absolutely love it !
good luck on you're choice /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #22  
hello and welcome to TBN. i too have alot of hills and rough ground,i have an old JD 316 which works fairly well.it's a heavy machine but a little short on power by todays standards.i purchased a new JD X320 2 weeks ago and let me tell ya,what a nice machine.it is almost scary stable on these hills and will out manuever most other riding tractors out there.it will leave a 16" circle in the middle with the steering turned stop to stop which will get you around most obstacles in you're yard. i believe it weighs in around 800 lbs. and they offer a front mount 44" blade for it as well.i mow around 3acres and the first time i used it it only spun 2 1/2 hours on the hour meter. not bad ! not only does it cut nice it's fast too.i would highly recommend the X 320 to anyone.it's heavy enough to haul you're cart to and traction is not a concern. JD is running a program on the X series right now and it makes it very affordable. it does cost twice what the crapsman machines cost but there is a reason for that and one ride on either will confirm what i'm saying. the 320 is $3999. and the X300 is $2799. try one out at you're local JD dealer and remember,they also have a 30 day free ride on the X series so if you don't like it for any reason,return it,but you will absolutely love it !
good luck on you're choice /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #23  
"or I would need to but a snowblower attachment to put onto a tractor (not sure how expensive these snow blower attachments are). "

In many cases, the cost of a snowblower attachment for a tractor will equal or exceed the cost of a high-quality walk-behind snowblower. I use a 7hp Toro on a 160 ft gravel driveway and it handles a foot of snow very well. Your mileage may vary.

AZ

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #24  
"or I would need to but a snowblower attachment to put onto a tractor (not sure how expensive these snow blower attachments are). "

In many cases, the cost of a snowblower attachment for a tractor will equal or exceed the cost of a high-quality walk-behind snowblower. I use a 7hp Toro on a 160 ft gravel driveway and it handles a foot of snow very well. Your mileage may vary.

AZ

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #25  
coasterez laid out some good options including the JD 4x5 series. A couple of things to point out though. If you opt for an all wheel steer version you will NOT be able to outfit it with the JD loader. The way the mounting brackets are fitted to the tractor will interfere with the rear wheels when turning. Also, the 40 loader that fits to the 4x5 series is pretty light duty as far as lifting capacity. It'll scoop and move but if you want to load a pickup with topsoil you'll likely be disappointed. The 4x5 will take rear pto and 3ph, and I am fairly certain the cat 1 hitch from the X-series can be fitted to the 4x5 without modification.

With your budget, consider looking for a JD 318. They can be regularly found in good condition for around 2K. They have full hydraulics and can be fitted with FEL, rear pto, and 3ph (Cat 0). They are hydrostatic, but the hydro is lever controlled on the dash. They also have individual rear brakes which allow for tighter turns.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #26  
coasterez laid out some good options including the JD 4x5 series. A couple of things to point out though. If you opt for an all wheel steer version you will NOT be able to outfit it with the JD loader. The way the mounting brackets are fitted to the tractor will interfere with the rear wheels when turning. Also, the 40 loader that fits to the 4x5 series is pretty light duty as far as lifting capacity. It'll scoop and move but if you want to load a pickup with topsoil you'll likely be disappointed. The 4x5 will take rear pto and 3ph, and I am fairly certain the cat 1 hitch from the X-series can be fitted to the 4x5 without modification.

With your budget, consider looking for a JD 318. They can be regularly found in good condition for around 2K. They have full hydraulics and can be fitted with FEL, rear pto, and 3ph (Cat 0). They are hydrostatic, but the hydro is lever controlled on the dash. They also have individual rear brakes which allow for tighter turns.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #27  
Gatorboy, why would you not recommend Sears ? I have several family members who have owned them for years without so much as a fart or hiccup. I think they are great lawn / garden tractors for the buck.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #28  
Gatorboy, why would you not recommend Sears ? I have several family members who have owned them for years without so much as a fart or hiccup. I think they are great lawn / garden tractors for the buck.

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #29  
We have kicked around our little Craftsman LT with 42" deck and 16 HP Kohler Command engine for the light mowing and yard tasks around the house for over 10 years and as was stated without a fart or hiccup. It has been a very decent little tractor in the, "inexpensive," category, which was the original intent of it. The light tasks have been mowing one acre of yard with a tow behind sweeper and pulling a utility cart with rocks, tree branches, etc. That is has lasted 10 years has amazed me, but it's even still got a few more to go. Only parts bought for it gave been a few of the springs for the deck brake mechanism, new blades a few times, and maintenance items.

It sure helps others if one posts a response on something that they at least take the time to back that post up with some facts or opinions of their own as to why they do or don't recommend it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Fordlords-

/ Need help finding a good lawn tractor?? #30  
We have kicked around our little Craftsman LT with 42" deck and 16 HP Kohler Command engine for the light mowing and yard tasks around the house for over 10 years and as was stated without a fart or hiccup. It has been a very decent little tractor in the, "inexpensive," category, which was the original intent of it. The light tasks have been mowing one acre of yard with a tow behind sweeper and pulling a utility cart with rocks, tree branches, etc. That is has lasted 10 years has amazed me, but it's even still got a few more to go. Only parts bought for it gave been a few of the springs for the deck brake mechanism, new blades a few times, and maintenance items.

It sure helps others if one posts a response on something that they at least take the time to back that post up with some facts or opinions of their own as to why they do or don't recommend it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Fordlords-