Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak

/ Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #31  
So since we are on topic here, what oil would you guys use in a L4400 front axle?? There's been discussion about hydraulic oil vs 80w-90. Thoughts??

/ Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #32  
Back where cap (C) was, take out the snap ring below the bottom bearing. The lower bearing, small gear (17) and shaft (15) can be worked down by prying down against the small gear through the hole in the housing. Once this is out, you can see another snap ring about halfway up - take that one off and (16) will drop down and off.
I appreciate all of the contributions to this informative thread. It sounds easy enough, so today I decided to tackle the A seals which have been leaking for years. After removing cir clip 100 and shim 095, the gear case (16) does not drop down more than about the width of those two items, so perhaps the bottom of bearing 090 is catching on the edge of the space where they go (I don't see a second shim stuck there). The bearings look great and everything is nice and tight with no play, so I have had no luck wiggling it off. Any suggestions before I start pounding?

105983d1215466079-need-help-w-kubota-l3710-l3710-front-axle-case-jpg

/ Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #33  
A few good whacks did the trick, and the gear case now is off. Unfortunately, seal 060 (A) is seized to the inside of the gear case. It looks just like the replacement part, which is one piece (the axle is bare). I can move the rubber around but the metal frame won't budge. Is there a trick to getting it off? If bearing 070 is not pressed into the gear case, then perhaps it can be tapped out enough to break the seal lose...

Part of the (A) seal will remain on the axle - take this off

/ Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #34  
sealsnumbered 2nd copy.jpg
If the new part is still the same design as my 2008 post was based on, both parts of the A seal need to be removed and replaced. You may need to destroy the old one getting it off - but it has to go.

Last edited:
   / Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #35  
The latest version is TC230-13040, a single piece that replaces TA140-13040 which replaced TA140-14040 and 34550-14040. I eventually managed to extract the old one by drilling a hole through the outer metal frame, threading in a screw, and using a hammer claw to leverage it out, but it sure put up a fight. Everything went back together smoothly (using the method below from another thread) and I expect the other side to go much faster.

6. Lift heavy Front Gear Case back onto Bevel Gear Case. (I balanced the Front Gear Case on a floor jack and slowly jacked it into place while checking bearings inside aligned with Bevel Gear Case.) Jack up Front gear case until it is fully seated on seal (Check that you can see snap ring groove).

Thanks again!

So since we are on topic here, what oil would you guys use in a L4400 front axle?? There's been discussion about hydraulic oil vs 80w-90. Thoughts??
I am using 80W-90 gear lubricant.

Last edited:
   / Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #36  
I am finding it extremely difficult to get cir clip 100 into the groove with shim 095 in place. It could be that there is less clearance now with the new seal, but when I hook the shim on the groove to hold it in place while pushing the clip on from the bottom, I am unable to maneuver the shim out of the groove and up out of the way far enough for the clip to fall in. Leaving that shim out seems like a bad idea, as presumably that would allow the case to shift down by that amount when unloaded, but I don't know what else I can do. After fighting with this side, I am not confident that I got the other side right so will pull it back apart to check. :(

Last edited:
   / Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #37  
.....Leaving that shim out seems like a bad idea, as presumably that would allow the case to shift down by that amount when unloaded........(

First, you deserve some credit for respecting the as-found parts and trying to reinstate them in-kind. Assembly shims are intended to be "select fit" to compensate for the accumulated tolerances of the parts stack. The shim prevents the case moving up and down, but doesn't need to be hardened steel. Something less hard would do fine. Maybe find a hardware store washer assortment with something thinner that would allow it to go together easier.

The running clearances of axle gears is a comparatively low-precision fit as gearing goes. You could even carefully grind the 095 shim until it fits. It would work fine and last forever, given the low forces it sees in operation. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:
   / Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #38  
When I bought new seals a while back for a 4wd tractor I bought a shim kit at the same time it came with 3 or 4 shims of different thicknesses.

/ Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #39  
Thank you very much for the encouraging replies. I eventually managed to get cir clip 100 into the groove with shim 095 properly situated by 1) using a jack to keep the case firmly seated for maximum clearance, 2) coating the shim with oil so it would adhere to the bearing race well enough to overcome gravity and not slip down into the groove and block the cir clip, 3) using snap ring pliers to get the cir clip close, and 4) using a small drift to tap gently around the cir clip until it clearly snapped into place with the bright wear ring no longer visible. A few firm blows down on the case confirmed that all is secure, and the steering and spinning actions feel smooth and tight. Success!

Separating the case, extracting the seal, and seating the cir clip may not challenge those who are more mechanically inclined, but perhaps my experience will be useful to others like me. Thanks again for your guidance and assistance!

/ Need Help w/ Kubota L3710 Front Axle Bevel Gear Housing Lesak #40  
My L4400 (which has had a hard life) now has a leak from around the right bevel gear assembly. Just noticed it and have not had time to inspect it well. Reading this whole thread I am not confident about tackling this myself. I do not have a shop and this would have to be done outdoors. So here is the million dollar question: Has anyone had the dealer do this for them and if so, how much was it?