Needing a transit/level.......any advice.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #11  
Or rent one
They probably rent for $20 a day or so.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #12  
Mine is made by Trimble and is called the Spectra LL220. I decided on this model because it's a whole kit that goes into an easy to carry case.

When I decided on that model, I just kept searching Ebay for it every day. I missed a few auctions, but after a few months, I picked one up for under $200. I forget exacely what I paid, but think it was $180 for a used one without the rod. I bought a Dewalt one for $45 at Lowes and clamp my receiver onto it with a spring clamp.

These prices are crazy, but if you have the time and keep looking, you should be able to find a good deal too.

eBay: SPECTRA LL200 PRECISION LASER LEVEL AND RECIEVER , TRIP (item 160076766374 end time Jan-28-07 06:49:50 PST)

Spectra Precision Laser LL200, 1000 series laser, trimble, laser levels, grade lasers, horizontal lasers, vertical lasers, self leveling lasers, self-leveling lasers, multi purpose lasers, rotating lasers, general construction lasers, interior lasers, rotating laser packages, heavy duty laser systems, automatic laser systems, auto lasers, laser transmitters, multi featured lasers, slope lasers, transmitter, receiver, rod, and tripod in one rugged carry case

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #13  
If it's inexpensive get a handheld level and mark up a piece of 1x3 board to use as a rod.

Attachments

• hand level.jpg
    hand level.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 341
   / Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #14  
If you really want to save the $$ use a water level made from a piece of clear hose! It may be old school but it's inexpensive and it always works...............

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #15  
I have a Stabila laser level with tripod. For a one man operation, you can't beat it. Forget about seeing it in the daylight, I don't think you'll find one in your budget with enough power for that. But, it doesn't matter. As long as the receiver can see it (and it can) that's what counts.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #16  
Here's the review of a DeWalt laser level I got a while back. Apparently a lower priced model than you found. I'm still completely happy with it.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #17  
I purchased the same laser DW071 from Lowes. With the laser, tripod, detector and grade rod, it was about $400. I had a new house built and I put in the driveways, some basement drains and various other uses. I bought it new and used it about a year and a half. I then listed it in one of the local trader magizines and sold it for about $300. I thought that having the use of it, basically any time I wanted it, for a year and a half, was cheaper than renting one. It was a great piece of equipment.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #18  
I purchased the Dewalt laser transit with receiver, tripod, and the 4 section stick that goes up to about 16 foot. There was little difference in the price of the sticks so I went with the longest one. I actually needed the exta length once when measuring for a walkout basement. I am happy with mine. I use it when I need it. I have done several projects with it. I discount part of the cost since I can use the battery it came with with other tools I have. It will run on the 18v, 14.4v, and the 12v if you need an extra battery while you are out. The only only thing I wish it had was a remote to turn it on and off without running back to the unit to turn it off when I'm not using it. It works very well. I have a friend who uses a tripod and a laser level. He levels the tripod where it is level in all directions he spins the level and it is as accurate as my laser transit. His cost him $50 for the good solid tripod, and $30 for the laser level, and also purchased a stick. I don't regret the extra expense of mine because it is a one man transit. I turn it on and everywhere I walk my receiver picks up the signal. I don't need to go back and adjust anything or read anything. I also don't need a second person to help me when I'm on a project. Paul

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #19  
check ebay for units

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice.
I went to Lowes and bought a Dewalt laser unit for $399 and a tripod. It looks like it should do everything I need and I can do it by myself. Thanks again for all the advice!