Needing a transit/level.......any advice.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #21  
dqdave1 said:
check ebay for units
There are currently several units on E-Bay.

Does anyone out there have any experience with a DeWALT DW073?

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #22  
I bought a spectra LL300 laser for around 850.00 with a tripod and a rod.A good unit it sets itself up autolevel laser.I got mine at White Caps a company home depot bought into. They also had some good automatic optical levels good ones for around 250 or so. I purchaced mine last year.The spectra is made in gemany a trimble company.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #23  
I bought a factory reconditioned Dewalt last year for about $150. It included the tripod, level and grade scale. It is okay for the money, however, using one is typically a two man operation. Instead I wound up using a simpler approach using a line level and box scrapper mounted to the rear hitch. I used this technique to level the foundation site for the barn I am currently building. Start by stretching a nylon construction line between two stakes. At the mid point hang a bubble spirt line level. Adjust the line height on either end until the line is level. This becomes your datum, or reference line. Next, mount a 1/2" dowel rod to the side of the box scrapper, sticking out horizontally about a foot. I mounted mine by drilling a 1/2 hole into a block of wood, inserting the dowel, then c-clamping the block to the side plate of the box scrapper. This then becomes your depth gage. You can then run the tractor parrallel to the line. I beveled the dowel by cutting a 45% angle, making it come to a knife edge. This allows you get very accurate marking gage. You can try different techniques by either running the gage above the line or beside the line. Using this technique gives you real time feedback of where your blade is in relation to level. No more trial and error guessing if your are too deep or shallow.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #24  
Iowachild said:
Does anyone out there have any experience with a DeWALT DW073?

I've got a DW073, and I've been very happy with it. I can set grade stakes by myself, it's quick to setup and very accurate.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #25  
Mike120 said:
I've got a DW073, and I've been very happy with it. I can set grade stakes by myself, it's quick to setup and very accurate.
Thank you Mike!:)

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #26  
Another option, and one that's basically free, would be to take a rifle scope and mount it with a decent bubble level. I've done that several times, and it's good for 1/2" in 50-75', which is good enough for what I've needed. I use a block of wood between the scope and a photo tripod. It's no transit, but then, most of us don't really have need for a transit.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #27  
Check pawn shop. Sometimes(?) they have stuff cheap.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #28  
leeinmemphis said:
well I am asking because I haven't used a level in years and was hoping for some first hand advice. To me $500 right now is alot because I am paying alot of money for a building to be built right now. .....

Then get a $25 Zircon water level to do your job. Takes a little practice, but you can easily get to +/- 1/4" accuracy. I've used one with 50-ft of plastic tubing without any problem. Nice thing about a water level is it's a one-person device so you can work by yourself if nobody's around to help. I assume that rotary laser levels also have this advantage, but they're pricy compared to a water level.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #29  
If cheap is more important than convenient ...

I got the HF #92703 Self Leveling Laser Level for $39.

I am amazed at the precision - I measured under 1/16 inch variance in a 28 ft room, setting it near one wall and shooting the near wall and the the distant wall, then moving down near the far wall and repeating the shots.

I plan to use it outdoors for running drainage like I used a laser/bubble carpenter's level last year, marking control stakes at dusk when I can see the beam strike the stake, then working from those stakes the next day.

Builders have used string levels for centuries. I think this is more accurate and it's far more convenient. Precision should be fine for anything I have planned which is essentially, making water run downhill.

/ Needing a transit/level.......any advice. #30  
If really looking for a cheap user friendly level find a clear glass mug with horizontal rings on it, fill with beverage of choice to one of the ring marks, hold steady so liquid is level on the ring mark and sight along the top of the liquid level. Works well if you can stand a little downhill.

I have used this method once when there were no levels on site. It worked well but due to having to keep the liquid/foam level even on a rim the beverage supply ran out and had to be refurbished. :D

In the picture the flat leveled area is under the trailer and a portion of the road is level but slopes downhill.

Attachments

• level.JPG
    level.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 186