Neighbor removed my property line pin

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #311  
I’m not sure what they use for markers in your area? Must be something I haven’t seen.

I get called back all the time to reset missing markers I set or to find them again. Not common bu after doing this for 36 years there is a lot of pins I’ve set.

For anybody who hasn’t read all this thread I am a land surveyor. Recently retired.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #312  
I知 not sure what they use for markers in your area? Must be something I haven稚 seen.

I get called back all the time to reset missing markers I set or to find them again. Not common bu after doing this for 36 years there is a lot of pins I致e set.

For anybody who hasn稚 read all this thread I am a land surveyor. Recently retired.

I have dislodged my share.

I mow the sides of the road with a boom mower.

Landowners hate me because I hit them all the time. I do not try too, when I do they wrap themselves up inside the drum of the flail mower. But they hate me because they have to get surveyors to reset them. I have had a few yell at me, but I just shrug my shoulders. I got an 6 foot mower, and make (3) passes off the shoulder of the road. The pin should be set at 33 feet from the center of the road, so with a 12 foot travel lane, and 18 feet of mowing, that is 30 feet, 3 feet shy of the right of way. As I tell them, they need a surveyor that knows where to pound in the pin.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #313  
I did have an interesting thing happen though a few weeks ago. My neighbor sold my land.

It does get confusing around here, but back a few years ago, a family member won some land in a law suite of some sort. This went with my land on one side of the town line, while the land was just across the rock wall in another town. Then my neighbor decided to sell some of his land, and claimed my land was part of the sale. The town official saw it (a surveyor) and let me know what happened.

It is not a big deal, it is only a few acres, and I got a Warranteed Deed that supersedes anything anyone else has got, so it is just a matter of notifying the new landowner/my neighbors that that part of the land deal will have to be redacted.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #314  
I have dislodged my share.

I mow the sides of the road with a boom mower.

Landowners hate me because I hit them all the time. I do not try too, when I do they wrap themselves up inside the drum of the flail mower. But they hate me because they have to get surveyors to reset them. I have had a few yell at me, but I just shrug my shoulders. I got an 6 foot mower, and make (3) passes off the shoulder of the road. The pin should be set at 33 feet from the center of the road, so with a 12 foot travel lane, and 18 feet of mowing, that is 30 feet, 3 feet shy of the right of way. As I tell them, they need a surveyor that knows where to pound in the pin.

To do it, pin/bound replacement it is not nearly as simple as knowing "where to pound in the pin".
Office research/calculations, two men, equipment, and accurate measurements, are usually required to determine exact boundary locations.
Not all roads are 66 feet wide. A few are greater, and in older less rural areas, many are only 40' layouts.

Most road surfaces are not exactly in the center of the road layout.
If a road surface is more than 3' off the center line of a 66' layout, a boundary marker could be properly located within your elected 30' mowing width.
If you destroyed my marker, or markers, and were mowing under a municipal contract,(informal or otherwise) I would be after the municipality to have the marker, or markers, replaced, by a licensed land surveyor, at their expense.( municipal contracted equipment damaged MY property!)

In the NE, boundary points are sometimes defined as a "DH".
"DH" is a drill hole in a rock.
For those who may think it is a good idea to vandalize boundary markers,....would you move a 10,000 lb rock?

Last edited:
   / Neighbor removed my property line pin #315  
It’s fairly common that land gets deeded someone doesn’t own. Say I own 160 acres and sell 5 acres out of the corner. They don’t go back and file a new deed for my 160 acres to reflect the now missing 5 acres. When I sell my remaining ground they should then except the 5 acres but that doesn’t always happen.

Road widths? That varies by state, county etc. As a general rule in Illinois the rural township roads and county roads have no platted width. In this case the width is wide enough for its intended purpose, which is open for interpretation. Some states list a minimum width by statute.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #316  
It’s fairly common that land gets deeded someone doesn’t own. Say I own 160 acres and sell 5 acres out of the corner. They don’t go back and file a new deed for my 160 acres to reflect the now missing 5 acres. When I sell my remaining ground they should then except the 5 acres but that doesn’t always happen.

Road widths? That varies by state, county etc. As a general rule in Illinois the rural township roads and county roads have no platted width. In this case the width is wide enough for its intended purpose, which is open for interpretation. Some states list a minimum width by statute.

The words “save and except” are important clues.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #317  
All roads that I know of around here are 4 rod roads, so 33 feet to the center of the road. Center of the road means just what it says, CENTER OF THE ROAD.

All my deeds say the same thing on distances in regards to land..."more or less". That means the pin on the side of the road is about as arbitrary as it can be.

If I am mowing, and I am only out 18 feet from the edge of the road (3 passes with a 6 foot mower), good luck complaining to someone. 18 feet back is not that far, and to NOT mow back causes safety concerns. No Judge in the country is going to side with ONE landowner when mowing is for the good of the community.

I get complaints all the time, get yelled at just as often, get flipped off, get cars parked in front of me, whatever. I get yelled if I mow back too far, and yelled if I do not mow back far enough. A boom mower operator has to have thick skin. People love to complain, and that is fine, bring it up with your town selectmen, I have a job to do, and do not have time to listen to you run your mouth. If I listened to everyone whine, I would never get my job done.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #318  
Having brain cancer sucks about 99.5% of the time, but it can come in handy.

Last year I had a dumb land owner come out because I mowed off a sapling in the ditch. I mow miles of roads a day. I have about 5 seconds to size up a home and decide if it is a house where they would want to keep trees, or have them mowed off. This house was a nice one. A few saplings were growing up in the ditch of a long nice driveway. A tractor with a bushog was parked outside. In about 5 seconds I came up with the idea that sitting in hs house, he would want a nice looking driveway, and to see when he came out of the driveway. So I molyhocketed those trees,probably going after trees that were a bit big for my mower...so what, it looks better and what is a few broken knoves.

He comes out, takes pictures, puts his hands on his hips, looks at me, looks at the mowed off tree, looks back at me, takes more pictures.

Normally I just wave and keep mowing. That day I got down and asked him if he had a problem.

He did.

He runs his mouth and I say nothing for awhile. Then I crack a smile and just say, "You know, I got a wife and four kids, whose husband and father has brain cancer. Man I sure wished I had your problems...I would love to be concerned about a sapling that does not even belong to you, of owners that asked me to cut if down."

The guy is a moron. It would be like him getting mad because his neighbor had loggers cut their wood off. Same thing, the sapling belongs to the town.

I make one million split second decisions per day, I do not expect everyone to agree with the ones I make.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #319  
I’ve never had anyone other than an owner pay me to reset corners that get knocked out. They get knocked Out all the time, almost always by accident. You hit a pin when mowing, I wouldn’t worry about it. If I’m worried about them getting hit I drive them flush.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #320  
They might be planning to knock down or kill your vegetation. Get a camera out there pronto just to be safe.

Probably a little late now this appears to be from 2013

No idea why this thread got bumped up after 7 years, but am I the only one feeling sorry for the neighbor?