Never knew what a Texas U Turn was

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was
They have them in El Paso and Austin also.
Understood.

Don’t know the history on how highways were designed state by state along with those timelines, but it’s a pretty nifty idea IMO that it hadn’t caught on with other states when they designed their own highway system around major cities.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #22  
This explains a lot when it comes to 'Snowbirds' in the Coachella Valley during the winter. We would be just as confused about some of the different state oddities I guess. I experienced Texas U-turns when in the McAllen a few years back. Simple enough!

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #23  
We have our fist roundabout. 4 roadways lead into and out of the roundabout. Once you enter you exit on any one of the 4 roadways including the one you came in on. Works great...typically there is no stopping unless you are waiting to enter.
A different thing altogether. They never really went away here in New England (though most people refer to them as rotaries or traffic circles), but the last decade or so they've built a lot more of them. Agreed that once you know how to use one correctly it does make for much better traffic flow at busy intersections.
Not certain what you mean by a frontage road, but having lived in Pa on the east and west side of the state, have seen nothing like the turn around in Texas in Pa.
By frontage road, I mean another road, not part of the interstate system that parallels an interstate or other limited access divided highway. Seem to be more common in midwestern states.
Understood.

Don’t know the history on how highways were designed state by state along with those timelines, but it’s a pretty nifty idea IMO that it hadn’t caught on with other states when they designed their own highway system around major cities.
Easier said than done in many eastern cities that had been well established 100 years or more before the invention of the automobile. It would take a LOT of eminent domain to accomplish!
On a sidenote, my wife and I have been married over 20 years now.

From our own experience, now that we are both in our mid to late 50's, the MOST stressful event in our relationship is when one person is driving and another person in the "navigator" :ROFLMAO:
Doesn't get any easier when you're in your mid 70s. :LOL: It's compounded when one party (my wife) by her own admission has a lousy sense of direction. Usually, she defers to me, but sometimes not.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #24  
I deem my wife a terrible driver ...she feels the same about me. When we travel together she drives and I keep my mouth shut. Happy wife happy life

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was
By frontage road, I mean another road, not part of the interstate system that parallels an interstate or other limited access divided highway. Seem to be more common in midwestern states.
Thank you. I'm glad I asked. Never thought to look it up and that term makes complete sense now. Never saw frontage roads in Montona, Idaho or Utah (were I'd drive around a lot of the state) and in California we really never stayed in one place but never noticed them.

That said, in San Antonio, we were staying at a hotel about 10 minutes off the base. Didn't click with me, but there was a frontage road on both sides of interstate 410.

Now it makes sense. Looking at a map, seems like San Antonio has frontage roads off of more than just interstat 410 (didn't hit me why you have have two roads the same name on different sides of the interstate). Since driving back and fourth from the hotel to the base and back to the hotel, the layout actually makes complete sense as to why you would use a frontage road. Between that and the Texas U turn, it really does seem easy navigating once you get used to it.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #26  
Want to have some fun? Set your GPS unit for a South African female voice. She'll tell you to take the slip road.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #28  
I’ve got to ask how I’m tarnation you know that?
Just by playing with the settings.

I always thought a GPS was stupid. I was a paper map guy. Then about 10-15 years ago I went to Florida to meet up with my wife who was there for business. Her coworker had a GPS. She was driving, so told me to play around with it and come into this century! So I did.

It was great. All a GPS is really, is a very good map! Lots of maps. Thousands of maps, all in a convenient little box. And it's easily updated, VS having to buy new paper maps. And it'll tell you where there's gas stations, dining, parks, recreation, and more importantly as you get older.... restrooms! 😝

I liked it so much that my wife bought me one for Christmas that year. I played around with the settings. Changed the icon to a red monster truck to match our old Suburban. Changed the voices. Change the display for altitude, ETA, all kinds of stuff. Just playing with technology. Found the female South African voice. The kids loved it. I still have the GPS in my Suburban. Now I mostly just use my cell phone for GPS. One less device to carry. Integrates with the Subaru Outback apple car play.

Very nice on our long trips to OK. It reads your texts to you, sends texts via voice, all hands free. The navigation through Google maps or Apple works great. Finds routes around traffic backups.

I can't say enough about staying up on technology as a convenience to our lifestyle. I'm sitting in my jammies and sweater on a cold winter day talking to folks all over the world from my couch.

Gotta go stoke the wood stove. Some things never change! :ROFLMAO:

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #29  
The nice lady on our GPS, with an english accent, is often times recalculating the root, telling us to take the slip road, and exclaims emphatically "Waypoint Reached!".