Never knew what a Texas U Turn was

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #31  
We also have a few other things for travelers.

Texas off ramp. When interstate (or similar highway) traffic is backed up for construction or accident, drive through a navigable median to the access road and continue on your way. These are not strictly legal, but are very common.

Plan ahead. Off ramps are often a mile or more before the road you are off ramping to. For me, it was hard because if you see a tall sign for gas or food, you probably missed the exit already.

I swear most Texas roads are built without the benefit of a traffic engineer. One very common type of interchange on highways has the incoming traffic merge onto the highway before the outgoing traffic merges off. This results in a slow, sometimes dangerous dance where both groups are attempting to merge the opposite way through the same space.

In general, roundabouts are becoming more common in Texas. They are great for single land 4-way stop replacement. Once you get beyond one lane, people lose their minds.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #32  
We've got some clover leafs that were designed during the 55mph era. Now the speed limit is 65 and the on/off merge on top of the overpass is too short, and the 25mph 270 degree off-ramp on the far side is too tight. Gotta pick your spot, duck into the accelerating upcoming traffic, duck onto the off-ramp and immediately slam your brakes.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was
I liked it so much that my wife bought me one for Christmas that year. I played around with the settings. Changed the icon to a red monster truck to match our old Suburban. Changed the voices. Change the display for altitude, ETA, all kinds of stuff. Just playing with technology. Found the female South African voice. The kids loved it. I still have the GPS in my Suburban. Now I mostly just use my cell phone for GPS. One less device to carry. Integrates with the Subaru Outback apple car play.
I had a Garmin a long time ago. Really liked it. Then some years later I had to "upgrade" the maps. Haven't bought one since, and luckily Waze works pretty well from your smart phone.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #34  
This is your entire enter/exit lane, exactly 1/10th of a mile. Yikes.

IMG_3366.jpeg

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #35  
I had a Garmin a long time ago. Really liked it. Then some years later I had to "upgrade" the maps. Haven't bought one since, and luckily Waze works pretty well from your smart phone.
My garmin has lifetime updates. Still works, surprisingly.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was
In general, roundabouts are becoming more common in Texas. They are great for single land 4-way stop replacement. Once you get beyond one lane, people lose their minds.
In NC, my wife tells the story of one lady who was trying to make a left on a local round a bout...

That said, I will have to give a local town in the next county over credit using round a bouts off a major route to their town and the way they laid 3 round a bouts out from a gas station right off the exit. They made people exiting the gas station to have to take a right and go up to the next round a bout about 100 yards down the road. People we so stupid trying to cross 2 lnes of road when all they had to do was take a right up to the round a bout and come back, which generally took about an extra 80 seconds or so (they forced people to the right by putting in a divided in the middle of the road off the gas station). Was laid out pretty well IMO.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #37  
I always thought a GPS was stupid. I was a paper map guy. Then about 10-15 years ago I went to Florida to meet up with my wife who was there for business. Her coworker had a GPS. She was driving, so told me to play around with it and come into this century! So I did.

It was great. All a GPS is really, is a very good map! Lots of maps. Thousands of maps, all in a convenient little box. And it's easily updated, VS having to buy new paper maps. And it'll tell you where there's gas stations, dining, parks, recreation, and more importantly as you get older.... restrooms! 😝
Both have their place. On a long trip it's nice to have paper maps (road atlas) to get the big picture, and plot routes rather than relying on the GPS to do that. Once you get down to local/street level the GPS is best. While they've gotten better in that regard, they'll still direct you down some somewhat convoluted routes.
If I'm visiting someone, I'll ask them to give directions from some local/regional starting point...sometimes there's no substitute for local knowledge.
I have no experience with cellphone GPS, but the old disclaimers apply that if it's "free" you're the product, and it's likely tracking you for it's own not-always-disclosed purposes.

My garmin has lifetime updates. Still works, surprisingly.
Mine too, I make a point of updating it at least once a year.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #38  
Both have their place. On a long trip it's nice to have paper maps (road atlas) to get the big picture, and plot routes rather than relying on the GPS to do that. Once you get down to local/street level the GPS is best. While they've gotten better in that regard, they'll still direct you down some somewhat convoluted routes.
If I'm visiting someone, I'll ask them to give directions from some local/regional starting point...sometimes there's no substitute for local knowledge.
I have no experience with cellphone GPS, but the old disclaimers apply that if it's "free" you're the product, and it's likely tracking you for it's own not-always-disclosed purposes.

Mine too, I make a point of updating it at least once a year.
One nice thing about the Subaru Outback's large touch screen and Apple car play is you can blow the map out as far as you want and set destination points for your route. Also, since the screen is so large, it shows way more detail than a cell phone.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #40