Never knew what a Texas U Turn was

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was
Both have their place. On a long trip it's nice to have paper maps (road atlas) to get the big picture, and plot routes rather than relying on the GPS to do that. Once you get down to local/street level the GPS is best. While they've gotten better in that regard, they'll still direct you down some somewhat convoluted routes.
Spot on.

2007 left my job in my industry because I was getting burnt out working for the company I had been with for some time. Nothing lined up, and after a month sitting on my butt looking for a job, getting board to death so I went to the state employment office and ended up getting a job as a helper for a blind vending machine operator (I swear, worlds largest paycut ever LOL). I should have known how the job was going to go after the blind owner told me there would be no overtime, and on my first day (on a Saturday) I worked 14 hours LOL

Just him and me. He uses me for his sight, driving and loading his vending machines and picking up the product.

We were in down town Charlotte and coming down a road. The owner (in the passenger seat of the van) was telling me to take a left at the upcoming light, but the GPS was telling me to take a right. I told the owner "but the GPS is telling me to take a left, and he said "no, take a right". I thought to myself for a split second, "GPS telling me to go one way, a blind guy is telling me to go another way, who do I listen to?" I listened to the guy paying my check LOL

Learned a lot on that job per the quality of help (or lack of) that the state finds helping this guy... Also learned that there is money in the vending machine buisiness IF you have good locations which can open up a can of worms.

Sorry, favorite GPS story, and one I will never forget ;)

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #43  
A couple of years ago indot was proposing putting j-turns at a couple of intersections here due to the amount of fatalities there. The public wanted no part of that and the projects were scrubbed and now they are proposing something like a diamond interchange.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #45  
Navigating Texas can be interesting when road/street has multiple names/numbers which is about 50% of them. GPSs often calls street one name while sign says something different and guy who gave you directions earlier called it something else.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #46  
As I travel the half mile into town on my road, the name of the road changes 3 times. And if you look at an old map, a fourth name shows up. And ask an old-timer with a good memory, a fifth name is given.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #47  
As I travel the half mile into town on my road, the name of the road changes 3 times. And if you look at an old map, a fourth name shows up. And ask an old-timer with a good memory, a fifth name is given.
I know some streets that do that. One in central Austin changes 5 times from one side of town to the other and depending which map you are looking at.

Then you have streets that were names generations ago and someone comes along and decides they were spelled wrong (but pronounced correctly) originally and gets the name spelling changed and half of the addresses on it refuse to go along with the change.

Houston Street in NYC is not pronounced the same as Houston, Texas.

There are books about how to pronounce Houston Texas street names like: Kuykendahl, Bissonnett, Chartres, Beauchamp, Chenevert, Elgin, Fuqua, Mykawa for starters. A couple of my favorites Synott, San Felipe, and Tuam. These last 3 you can actually tell where someone grew up in Houston by how they pronounce those names. There are many more.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #48  
Then you have streets that were names generations ago and someone comes along and decides they were spelled wrong (but pronounced correctly) originally and gets the name spelling changed and half of the addresses on it refuse to go along with the change.

Houston Street in NYC is not pronounced the same as Houston, Texas.

There are books about how to pronounce Houston Texas street names like: Kuykendahl, Bissonnett, Chartres, Beauchamp, Chenevert, Elgin, Fuqua, Mykawa for starters. A couple of my favorites Synott, San Felipe, and Tuam. These last 3 you can actually tell where someone grew up in Houston by how they pronounce those names. There are many more.
Then there are the cities and towns that aren't necessarily pronounced how they look. Here in N.H. we have Berlin and Milan, neither of which is pronounced the same as the European cities with the same name (accent is on the first syllable on both). Likewise, our capitol city is pronounced "conquered", not con-cord like the airplane.
No one outside of New England ever seems to get Quincy or Worcester, Mass. right.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #49  
Then there are the cities and towns that aren't necessarily pronounced how they look. Here in N.H. we have Berlin and Milan, neither of which is pronounced the same as the European cities with the same name (accent is on the first syllable on both). Likewise, our capitol city is pronounced "conquered", not con-cord like the airplane.
No one outside of New England ever seems to get Quincy or Worcester, Mass. right.
Yes sir! Local vernacular is an interesting subject as are accents. I have a definate southern Texas accent. When I was in Cali years ago, back when people were still very friendly out there, the locals often asked where I was from. I quickly replied "upstate New York" just to see their expression quickly change. Wish I had somebody standing by with a cell phone camera at some of those times.

/ Never knew what a Texas U Turn was #50  
A lot of German names for cities got different pronunciations during WWI.

New Berlin, Wisconsin is the same.

Texas has quite a few that I know of, probably more I mispronounce. Here's a couple off the top of my head.

Italy = Eye Tull Ee
Montague = Mon tag