New 860 owner

/ New 860 owner #21  
Soundguy will get back in here soon. He'll guide you right. If he doesn't post back in a day or so send him a Private Message by clicking on his User Name in his last post and follow the directions.

I spent many, many hours on one like that when I was a kid. As Soundguy said, great tractor in it's day and still very, very useable in today's World. Congrats on the purchase.

/ New 860 owner
OK, I found what I belive this part is in New Holland's parts breakdown. It is the remote control valve. It is controlled by a piston that seems to allow fluid in to the block. there is a screw valve on it and the actuator(?) runs parallel to the link handle. Does "single action" mean that it won't run pressure in both directions? Is it reliant on gravity to return it to its neutral position? Could I run a log splitter with it?

/ New 860 owner #23  
Correct.. pressure in one direction..you could run a slitter if you had a spring return on it. Its really, really slow though as the PTO pump is prolly only around 4pm vs the 11-13gpm on splitters.

/ New 860 owner #24  
Thats most likely a single acting 'remote'. It allows you to use a hydraulic attachment off your PTO hydraulics..

you are 100% mistaken.

the 860 has a live engine driven hyd pump. no 'pto hyds' belly pump like the old ford N series and older fergy.

/ New 860 owner #25  
Correct.. pressure in one direction..you could run a slitter if you had a spring return on it. Its really, really slow though as the PTO pump is prolly only around 4pm vs the 11-13gpm on splitters.

it is NOT a pto pump!!!!!

it is an engine mounted pump.

you are thinking of the N series with the belly pump ran by t he PTO...

/ New 860 owner #26  
to the op. whether the valve is SA or DA.. you could still run a log splitter ( slow, 4gpm ).. if it had it's own valve setup. in fact. if it had it's own OC valve. you could run it even if your tractor did not have that valve on it. etc.

as for what to do first.

start with engine .. make sure it runs fine. then check out tranny and diffy.

onc emechanicals on all those 3 are known good. service the macing. then start with things like brakes. steering. front wheel bearings.

then move on to tins.

and last thing you do is paint it.

/ New 860 owner #27  
it is NOT a pto pump!!!!!

it is an engine mounted pump.

you are thinking of the N series with the belly pump ran by t he PTO...

OK! :)

Didnt say it was 'in the belly'. I said it was the 'pto pump'..

On my 3400, the 'engine driven' (flywheel) pump IS the PTO pump and is only 3-4gpm.. Very slow. The loader has a front pump at 13 gpm..

/ New 860 owner #28  
Actually, looking back, I said 'pto hydraulics'. Didnt even say pump..? And yes - according to the papers I have seen, the valve is fed from the internal pto hydraulics lines - there is not a separate line from the pump to the block.

I dont see how I was wrong? Seems to me you read my response wrong..

/ New 860 owner #29  
pto hyds???

the pto is mechanical!!! driven from the trans.

some models have a hyd pto clutch.. but the pto is ALL mechanical. no lil hyd motor hiding in there turning the pto.

perhaps maybee you are thing of 3pt pump? maybee.. which has nothing to do with the pto by the way!!

ie.. you are confusing the term pto and 3pt.

pto is power take off, and is the spinning shaft at the back of the tractor.

the 3pt are the hyd piston driven arms that lift things.

2 seperate systems...

Actually, looking back, I said 'pto hydraulics'. Didnt even say pump..? And yes - according to the papers I have seen, the valve is fed from the internal pto hydraulics lines - there is not a separate line from the pump to the block.

I dont see how I was wrong? Seems to me you read my response wrong..

/ New 860 owner
As to the "firsts" You said "engine". That runs well and the carburetor has been rebuilt but the guy who sold it to me says that the carbs on the 800 series tractors are notorious leakers. Should I replace it with an aftermarket? You said "service the macing". What's a "macing"? I have brakes but the wiring is jacklegged all over the place. Was thinking about installing a fuse block and wiring it in properly. Just got radiator hoses and am about to run some CLR through the cooling system to clean it out. I have done that with other systems. And Wow, Soundguy...You have alot of tractors. I want to sell my 6v generator to help pay for a 12v negative ground kit. Any takers? Give me a price.

Tim