New 860 owner

/ New 860 owner
Some help here please...how does one upload a profile picture here? I'd like to make my ugly tractor my profile pic as I work on it.

/ New 860 owner #33  
just my opinion but I would rather rebuild the old parts rather replace with new unknown quality, After using a restoring a old MF 35 may I offer this suggestion....determine what you want to do with this machine, what is the total budget?
Why not follow Soundguys advice, perform necessary tuneup related items ...use the tractor for some time to see what it needs and what you can do then form a plan and take it down and rebuild/restore as you desire... Gives a good sense of accomplishment to know its down right rather than a rattle can restore job

/ New 860 owner #34  
i agree.. i'd rather rebuild my old ms carb than buy a repop

/ New 860 owner #35  
pto hyds???

the pto is mechanical!!! driven from the trans.

some models have a hyd pto clutch.. but the pto is ALL mechanical. no lil hyd motor hiding in there turning the pto.

perhaps maybee you are thing of 3pt pump? maybee.. which has nothing to do with the pto by the way!!

ie.. you are confusing the term pto and 3pt.

pto is power take off, and is the spinning shaft at the back of the tractor.

the 3pt are the hyd piston driven arms that lift things.

2 seperate systems...

You're right.. I've been fighting Lymes and mixed up 3pt and PTO.. you should have known what I meant :)

/ New 860 owner #36  
You're right.. I've been fighting Lymes and mixed up 3pt and PTO.. you should have known what I meant :)

I'm commenting on what you posted. as other are reading your posts and that's what's going into the archives. 3 ys from now 'pto hyds' may make someone searching for info, think this thing has a hyd pto.

which is why i commented.

/ New 860 owner
I have already experienced the newly rebuilt carb leaking like a sieve. If I don't turn it off soon after stopping the engine It soon drips. With the exception of the fenders, all of the sheet metal looks a 55 gallon drum that has been sitting full of salt. Everything is rusted through. As it has lost so much metal I think it's beyond me to fix the tins.

In response to Soundguy's "sound" advice on what to do first...the friend who sold me the tractor has already done the tuneup stuff. New plugs, wires, distributor, coil etc. The reason I was going to start at the back with the sand blaster is that the brakes need help and it made sense to me to do the axle while I have all of that stuff torn apart.

As to what I want to do with it...I want a worker that everything works on. I'm not going to grind down all the casting marks to make it beautiful. I'm probably (close your eyes purists) not even going to paint it original colors. I like the process but I want a tool.

/ New 860 owner
Do y'all like the factory position for the exhaust or do you reroute it? Looks like it will get me in the face where it is and get beaten up if I run it out the back. A friend suggests taking it straight up and putting a flapper on it but it still seems like I'll get a face full.

/ New 860 owner #39  
if you ar enit in tall dry grass.. out hte back is out of the face..

/ New 860 owner #40  
My 961 has an exhaust stack and I haven't had any issues with it blowing back at me. I'm a fan of exhaust stacks on tractors so it gets my vote. Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• image-593970239.jpg
    image-593970239.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 121