New clutch installed and wont dis-engage the engine

/ New clutch installed and wont dis-engage the engine
Hello all, first to answer the questions about the pilot bearing. I discovered there was none when I took it apart and after reading one of your posts it makes sense that would cause the clutch to not dis-engage. THe pilot bearing sets in the fly wheel and I did install one.

Second the main bearing on the tranny is a bit loose (tranny shaft does have some side to side movement) but that is beyond my abilities. I only use this tractor on weekends and not every wekend so I think it will be fine for awhile.

Current status, the starter is on its last leg but does start the engine. (If you didnt read my previous posts, when I last tried it the starter stayed engaged and got smoked, why it happened I dont know.

So I bought some 1/8" stainless steel cable and made a better clutch cable than the stock one. Put it on and adjusted it to just a bit of play so it wasnt dragging the throw out bearing on the fingers and fired it up.

It was still dragging but I decided to drive it around and use it stop and start a few times, sit with my foot on the clutch for awhile and it got to the point I could shift it.

I re-adjusted the clutch, stretched a bit Im guessing and tried it again and still a slight drag but I can shift from 1st to rev to second. It grinds going into third but thats fine I dont use it that often.

So I think for now Im going to leave it as is and see over the winter if it improves or not. If not in the spring Ill have more time to take it apart and try the shim trick.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

~ Phil

/ New clutch installed and wont dis-engage the engine #42  
?????????????

How the h*ll did the clutch work without a pilot bearing???

Poorly.:laughing:

Good to see the OP has a functioning machine, maybe not perfect but probably good enough for this winter. I'd just not set with the clutch in for a real long time. No sense in over heating the flywheel or clutch.