New Delivery :)

/ New Delivery :) #31  
lamarbur
I think if you check into it you will find if you are pulling your 12K trailer with a commercial truck (over 18000 GVW) and the combined weight is under 26000 you do not need a CDL. But if the truck is registered in a business name or you are using it for business purposes you do need to run a log. If you look at the back of your CT license you will see that it says a "Commercial" truck towing a trailer in excess of 10000 lbs.
Chipperman /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New Delivery :) #32  
This may be a dumb question, but would I have to stop at the weigh station with this 1 1/2 ton F-600? There's one just up from me on the interstate, and I can easily bypass it if need be by using the parallel highway.
thanks
eric

/ New Delivery :) #33  
when I went to register this trailer, I was told to go home and get it, bring it back for a DOT inspection (Enfield office), as it is 12,000 GVW. To me, it don't matter as I got my class one (old name for CDL A) in 1967.. A lot of this has to do with which registry person reads, and how that person interpretates what they read. I know a few carpenters in Sturbridge MA, just over the line, all who bought trailers to haul their tools. All, were required to get 10,000 GVW or under as none of them have a CDL or wish to get one. If you read DOT laws, up to January 8th of this year, any trailer over 10G;s or any pulling power with air brakes, you need a CDL for the trailer and a minimum of an air brake endorsement for the truck if not an outright CDL B class license.. I mention January 8th as this is the day the new regs came into effect. I have not read or kept up on these two month old, new regs, so I don't know if anything other than hours of service has changed.

/ New Delivery :) #35  
I ran into the friendly neighborhood DOT officer today at the gas station. She was actually pretty nice. Said that with the farm plates (X plate here in WV), it's like a free pass for the DOT. She said that they "shouldn't" stop you or weigh you as long as you have the farm plate. You just need to be sure that whatever you're hauling (even if it tops 26,000# here in WV) it's for your farm. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New Delivery :) #36  
Farm regs changed in Jan. 2003 was a grace period. If you cross state lines DOT # must be posted, safety inspected, for over 10K. Depending on how you answer inspector Q's you run the risk of red tag lockout, fines & have to get somebody else to move the vehicle(s). Private carrier definition is shrinking in scope. Farm tags also get you red dye fuel checked. I heard fines are $1K Fed & $2K state @ my last fuel delivery. Look at the MN State Patrol commercial applicability PDF file (new item.)

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/patrol/comveh/index.htm

/ New Delivery :) #37  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I heard fines are $1K Fed & $2K state @ my last fuel delivery. )</font>

Sounds pretty painful.
Even though I'm in a tri-state area, I'll likely only drive the truck in WV. I'll be sure and check with the DOT to make sure I'll be in compliance with KY and OH if I need to ever go across their lines.

BTW - what is "red dye fuel?" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

eric

/ New Delivery :) #38  
Red dye fuel is diesel that is for "off road use" and is not subject to tax (cheaper cost at the pump). The fuel is dyed red and if used in a vehicle will be detectable.

/ New Delivery :) #39  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Red dye fuel is diesel that is for "off road use" and is not subject to tax (cheaper cost at the pump). The fuel is dyed red and if used in a vehicle will be detectable. )</font>

Thanks - I learn something new every day!

I got the farm tag yesterday - the "X" plate.
It was pretty painless at the DMV.
The only problem in WV is that all X plates expire in July, so will have to renew it then. At least I didn't buy it in June /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Duane - That C-86 backhoe on my Century works great! I bought 36" and 15" buckets for it. I've mostly been using the 36" one for moving the mud from the slips. It took some getting used to as far as controlling the movement, but all those years of playing the Atari as a kid are finally paying off! It is sure nice to be able to do some major work around the farm without paying someone $100 and hour!

eric

/ New Delivery :) #40  
I hear ya herdfan. I have been on vacation this week...working nearly everyday with a backhoe on my 4020, and I am utterly amazed at what I can do with the combination of BH, and front loader with toothbar. I would recommend the BH highly. One of the reasons I bought the Branson, was that it was in a price range that I could also buy the BH. It has been fantastic. I don't have the larger bucket though...maybe someday down the line.

pete