New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #11  
I've got two of the Ryobi 18+ trimmers, bought one and was given one, but what they heck.

I initially thought that it would be good for just trimming around the deck and flower beds in the back yard, but since I've been using it, the gas trimmer stays down at the farm. I don't know how many hours it will run on one battery because I'm known to take a lot of liquid refreshment breaks, but I can trim the whole yard, front and back and the little status LED still stays in middle range.

Now these are light duty units, the mono line is a real small diameter, so it won't cut much besides grass, but I was highly impressed with the performance, especially when I rated it against one of the older Black and Decker cordless trimmers.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #12  
So here is one of the 2 current companion tools...Dewalt 40v Blower with a new 6 amp battery. The other is cordless hedge trimmer.

Pretty big...pretty expensive too...most have it at $369

There is another version with a 4.0 battery for $299

I have a much smaller Milwaukee 0884-20 3 speed 18v blower similar to the Makita DUB182Z

There's no comparison with any 18v unit though for heavy outdoor usage.

Use mine for quick job site cleanups especially nice around the walls and for baseboards, the table saw, chop saw and home in my garage. Dry equipment off after washing too. My buddy used a gas powered one at the motorcycle shop to dry off bikes...I find this handier :D

TIA has some new video out on the Dewalt 40V tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6PrUbdjLps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTZpQmJX0Q

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #13  
We've had B&D (who own Dewalt) 18v trimmer and chain saws for quite a while. They work well. The chain saws don't last long but love the "alligator" one. Have a 40v Kobalt chain saw that I've never run the battery down on yet. You can also get a Kobalt 40v trimmer. That's what I'd get if I got a new one.

Ralph

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #14  
I am thinking about buying one of these (we call all string trimmers "weed-eaters" around here):

DCST990H1_1_500X500.jpg

This would compliment my Stihl FS 130. It is great but a little cumbersome for quickly trimming around the house. Lowes is having a special right now where if you buy the trimmer for $299 (comes with a battery and charger), you get a mail-in-rebate for a free extra battery.

Shop Cordless Electric String Trimmers at Lowes.com

Amazon.com: DEWALT DCST990H1 Max XR String Trimmer, 40-volt: Patio, Lawn & Garden

DCST990H1 40V MAX* Lithium Ion XR Brushless 15

One difference I noticed is the battery. The DeWalt has a 6ah battery while the Kobalt is a 2ah battery.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #15  
I have the E-GO blower and lawn mower and am pleased with them. The batteries are interchangeable. The mower is light, cuts good and last for 30 minutes with a 15 minute full recharge (perfect break time). Now I see they have come out with the trimmer. 56v. It is $120 less expensive than the Dewalt but no second battery give-away.
EGO 12 in. 56-Volt Lithium-ion Straight String Trimmer-ST1201 - The Home Depot

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer
One difference I noticed is the battery. The DeWalt has a 6ah battery while the Kobalt is a 2ah battery.

The 6ah battery is optional. If you buy from Lowe's they have a 4ah battery. The mail-in rebate is for a spare 4ah battery.

I found the first negative review on the Lowe's web
DEWALT DCST990H1 Max XR String Trimmer, 40-volt
5 / 5
steve
Location:Des Moines,Iowa,USATime of Purchase: within last monthPlace of Purchase: in storeLevel of Expertise: Expert
April 19, 2015
Features:
5 / 55 / 5
Value:
5 / 55 / 5
Design:
5 / 55 / 5
Quality:
1 / 51 / 5
Ease of use:
5 / 55 / 5
Recently purchased on 4/16/2015, worked Great. Tonite 4/19/2015, my wife heard strange noise from garage so I went to investigate found dewalt trimmer running, apparently switch mal-functioned. I had to pull battery to shut unit off. Serious issue.
Pros
High quality
I would recommend this to

Hopefully it is an isolated incident and doesn't turn into a major problem.

I went to Lowe's and looked at these in person a few days ago. The sales people on shift had zero info on the Dewalts and one even recommended a corded over these because "the battery only lasts 30 minutes". I didn't bother talking about it any further...

I was a little disappointed that the demo unit did not have a battery. I would of liked to hold it with a battery in it to feel the weight and balance. Another thing I noticed is that standing in a comfortable position the cutting head was about 5 inches off the ground (I'm 6'3" tall). I think most of this could be made up by adjusting the loop handle up, but I chose not to go to the tool department for an allen wrench and proceed to adjust the handle in the aisle. :)

Last edited:
   / New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #17  
<snip>
I went to Lowe's and looked at these in person a few days ago. The sales people on shift had zero info on the Dewalts and one even recommended a corded over these because "the battery only lasts 30 minutes". I didn't bother talking about it any further...
<snip>
Thus if you need to run a string trimmer for an hour you need two batteries.

I can understand these are not designed for a commercial use 8 hour/16 battery day. But if you have more tools that use the same battery the cordless gasless feature can be a winner.

In the 20V max I've bought a 5 piece set for one son, a drill for the daughter, and the sawzall, circular, and drill for my self.

The sawzall and the circular run about 30 minutes on a 2amp battery, the drill seems to last forever. In the last week I used the drill and circular to assemble my trailer "box" and the sawzall to cut bamboo. The convenience of carrying two or three batteries is far better than trying to string electrical cord 200 feet.

I just wish they had an adapter so I could use 2 of the 20V max batteries on the 40 volt trimmer.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #18  
I just wish they had an adapter so I could use 2 of the 20V max batteries on the 40 volt trimmer.

Now that is a good idea. I bet it would sell more trimmers with an option like that! :thumbsup:

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #19  
   / New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer
Thus if you need to run a string trimmer for an hour you need two batteries.

I didn't word my post very well. The consensus I have gotten from the limited number of reviews I read indicate that the battery lasts very well, around an hour or so.

I didn't agree with what the clerk said and feel that they have not done any research on the product they are selling. Also, there wasn't any indication (nor did the sales staff know) that there was a free battery through Dewalt. I'm not blaming the sales staff directly, but our location in general has done a poor job rolling out this new product.